Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo crapped out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #1

Default Servo crapped out?

Yesterday when i turned my truck on to take it out for a spin the throttle worked but the servo doesn't. Its just all of a sudden, its worked fine up until now. I checked and made sure its plugged in but nothing. I'm running a Rooster with 645mg servo, Tq3 radio with 3 channel transmitter. Anybody got any idea why it would just stop working. The throttle works fine forward and reverse. I just can't turn.
jwc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Try plugging your servo into your throttle port on your receiver and see if pulling the trigger will make the wheels turn. Since the throttle is working, then you know that port is working. If you plug it in and it works then you have a bad receiver or something radio wise that has messed up. If it still doesn't work then the servo must be burnt up.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Is your servo making any noise when you try to turn it? You might have stripped the gears.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #4

Ok i switched the wires around so the steering wheel controls the throttle and that worked fine, but the trigger didn't turn the wheels. And no there was no noise from stripped gears. Has to be the wiring in the servo then right? Maybe in the plug or somthing.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

In that case it's definately a servo issue. Make sure the wires look good where they're going into the plug, and make sure there are no bare places in the wire anywhere. Other than that it sounds like it may be time to get another servo. Try going to a 5645 instead of the 645, or look around and try to find a Tower Pro MG995. Those TP's are alot less than the 645 even, and in my opinion after having taken both apart they are a much better servo choice.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Make sure the servo isn't plugged in backwards. It's an easy mistake, something I've done many times. Just check before you write that servo off. Also Hitec's warranty is 2 years, they'll probably fix it for you if it is burned up.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #7

I turned the plugged around and still nothing. I don't know. I don't see why the servo would just crap out like that out of nowhere. All the wires look good to me. Thanks for the input thoug.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #8

is there nay way to cut the wires and hook them directly to a small battery and see if it will trun right of left. That will let me know for sure if its burnt up or not right?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc123 View Post
is there nay way to cut the wires and hook them directly to a small battery and see if it will trun right of left. That will let me know for sure if its burnt up or not right?
Honestly I wouldn't do that. If the wires look good, and the channel is good on the rx, then something is wrong with the servo. Something that may have caused it to burn up is if your trim got bumped off a little or something and it was bottoming out too much when you were turning. Could have finally heated up, and went out after you turned it off. You can try sending it back to Hi Tech, or take the bottom plate off the servo by taking the 4 screws out. If it's burnt up, most likely that plate will be melted a little, or if not you should definately be able to see or smell it when you take that plate off.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #10

I took the back plate off and inspected it. It does kind of have a smell to it. But everything looks fine, no melting or anything. all wires are still intact to the circuit board.???? IDK i'll try and get in touch with Hitec
Old 03-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, sounds like you let out the magic smoke... I'd save the servo for spare parts and get a new one.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote