Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Matched Max Amps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Matched Max Amps

Why would 1 of the 2 swell up? 7.4 5000mah, well kept, never abused, out for a 20 minute run 1 swelled up and got hot and the other cool as a cucumber. hyper 9.5 with novak brushless conversion, speed controller and motor cool to the touch. Is this how it works??
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It happens bro'

Just like NiMH, you always have the potential for a bad cell within a pack, even with Lipo. When you think about the sheer volume of cells that a company like Max Amps puts out, it's actually impressive that it only happens once in a while.

Shoot a PM or an e-mail to Jason and see if they'll take care of it for you. You may want to send a pic of the pack as well...I believe Max Amps has a standard 30 day 30 cycle warrenty, unless you purchased the 3 year 300 cycle warrenty.

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 04-10-2009 at 07:11 AM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default oh well

thanks I might give that a try, I think the 30 days has gone but I am positive the 30 charge thing hasn't happened yet. If not then I will have to call'em like I see'em and replace with a competitor's brand. I mean if they go this fast it dont make good sense to spend that kind of money. Reedy brand of the same specs I have had for 7 months and no issues at all.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have a 2S3P 3300 Max Amps that's been in my Super for 2 1/2 years, and it still rocks! Lots of punch and a solid hour of run time.

I've used their 1100 packs in my 2.2 but recently switched to the Holmes Hobbies 1300 packs. The ratings on John's packs are higher and the price is more than competitive.

I'm still in the process of building my new 2.2 so I haven't had a chance to run the HH packs, but from what I read before buying them, they should be impressive.

Max Amps is still a great battery brand, but it never hurts to do some comparo research
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Default yup

Had a MA that came with my daughters crawler that popped the second time she ran it, The guy I got it from was a dick and said he didnt have the reciept, No biggy I replaced it with a venom pack and its been all good. This one is the 2nd and 3rd MA pack i have owned and the figures are 3 MA packs - 2 dead = 1 pissed redneck Hillbilly.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj069 View Post
This one is the 2nd and 3rd MA pack i have owned and the figures are 3 MA packs - 2 dead = 1 pissed redneck Hillbilly.

Just make sure the shotgun's not loaded

Good luck with the packs bro'
Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Lipos are very different. When you install them as 2S one battery acts as the in and one the out (thats how electricity flows).

Most likely your puffed pack was the out and it was either over dicharged, over amped, or might just be a bad cell.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

All batteries die at some time.....I've had every brand die at some point.:-(

Good luck
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post

Just make sure the shotgun's not loaded

Good luck with the packs bro'
thanks, thats some funny $hit, Make's ya wonder about quality though.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
RCC Addict

You can't really blame us for anything at this point. You have no idea how the previous owner took care of the packs. I would suggest you try a new pack first before you start in on us for no reason. And getting a receipt from him wouldn't do you any good anyways. Any warranty would only be good for the original purchaser. Chances are he over amped the pack at one point or another and that's why he wasn't offering any help.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Why would 1 of the 2 swell up? 7.4 5000mah, well kept, never abused, out for a 20 minute run 1 swelled up and got hot and the other cool as a cucumber. hyper 9.5 with novak brushless conversion, speed controller and motor cool to the touch. Is this how it works??
With the gearing you have what's the amp draw of the set-up?? If your at 100 amps all the time or better you will shorten the pack life and over amp the pack. This goes for any Li-Po out there.

Jason
Old 04-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Default hold on now

As a matter of fact I do know the previous owner and any body in Alabama will tell you he is a good person and takes good care of his stuff, And i do know the history as I watched him build this rig, run it and maintain it. I drove the rig the day I bought it and the only thing removed was the reciever, after that it sat on the pit box for a week before I installed the futaba reciever and took it out to play. Last night I took it out while my lipos for the crawler were being charged on my ICE charger and the other pack on my Hyperion EOS0606i and after about 20 minutes of tooling around in the parking lot I pulled it in to check the moer and esc temps and there it was. I have over 20 years experience in this hobby and I do not care that a battery pack popped like it I want to know why? and after deep consideration and waiting for HOURS for a response from MAX AMPS I have drawn the conclusion that I would not purchase your product. I do call them as i see them!! and if you would read the entire thread you would realize that you are talikng about 2 different episode's and i am reffering to the one that blew last night not the first one that blew with my daughters rig.

Last edited by hbj069; 04-10-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: still pissed
Old 04-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Waiting for hours for a response???? Who did you contact??? It wasn't me and it wasn't in our support area here at RCC. If your referring to me getting to this thread late then sorry but We have a support forum here that is were most people post questions. I get instant e-mails for that section. I don't always have time to check here. It's clear that you don't want any help but would rather bad mouth us so I'll leave it at that.

Best Regards,

Jason
Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Default THIS is america

And i do have the right to my opinion!!! GOOD BAD OR WRONG.

live tech support advertized 5am to 5pm, at 6:00 am i tried and no one was there, sent e-mail, no response.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do know the previous owner and any body in Alabama will tell you he is a good person and takes good care of his stuff, And i do know the history as I watched him build this rig, run it and maintain it. I drove the rig the day I bought it and the only thing removed was the reciever, after that it sat on the pit box for a week before I installed the futaba reciever and took it out to play. Last night I took it out while my lipos for the crawler were being charged on my ICE charger and the other pack on my Hyperion EOS0606i and after about 20 minutes of tooling around in the parking lot I pulled it in to check the moer and esc temps and there it was. I have over 20 years experience in this hobby and I do not care that a battery pack popped like it I want to know why? and after deep consideration and waiting for HOURS for a response from MAX AMPS I have drawn the conclusion that I would not purchase your product. I do call them as i see them!! and if you would read the entire thread you would realize that you are talikng about 2 different episode's and i am reffering to the one that blew last night not the first one that blew with my daughters rig.
Without trying to quote any particular of this post I will say what I get out of it. It would appear that you expect LIPO to either be failure proof or have a post-it attached explaining why it failed. At some point all of the nicad and/or nimh that you have owned have had a cell to fail. Did it come with an explanation? Forest Gump said it best "SHIT HAPPENS" If it was a warranty issue the telephone has worked very well for me with all the RC products I've used. Most times to my advantage.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
And i do have the right to my opinion!!! GOOD BAD OR WRONG.

live tech support advertized 5am to 5pm, at 6:00 am i tried and no one was there, sent e-mail, no response.
5AM is Pacific time. That's the hours for the Pacific time zone. I'm on there every day from 7 AM to 5 PM Central time. So if your getting on in in Alabama then I should have been on any time after 7 AM Central time which is 5 AM Pacific time. There is a chance I wasn't on until a few minutes after 7 AM central this morning. But if you got on at 6 AM central time there was no one there. I also checked with the shop and there were no live support chat requests that were left while the system is off. Who did you send the e-mail to. And what's the name on it I'll even look for that.

Jason
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Default Forest

as jenny said RUN FOREST RUN. And did you buy me batteries? (no) Dang me for wanting to run my rig more than twice, I wont do it ever again, when I get a new toy I will only play with it once and then throw it away!!
OH I am sorry If I offended, I am rather concerned that my 7 year old daughter may be exposed to battery that I cant trust. and BY THE WAY i asked a question at the start of this thread, my eyes did not well up with tears and I did not cry to the battery GODs at MA. I just asked a f-in question HERE YOU GUYS CALL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
TEAM MODERATOR

Back on the original question.....

Quote:
What was the C rating on that pack? I've never run the Novak BL setup,do you or anyone have an idea on the amperage it pulls when stalled?

There's good cells and bad. I ran some Vislero 3 cells a while back. They worked rather well but the amp draw on my motors was taxing them. Therefore,even though they were balanced every charge and never went below 3 volts per cell,they're life was cut short and they swelled.

Personally,I feel a crawler should run no less than 25c continuous/50c burst packs. Even though some motors won't get close to that,it never hurts to have plenty of battery. Some motors out now will really draw some amperage when they are bound up.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I tried to help him and I couldn't get any questions answered. He decided to leave it at that. So my support ends here.

Best Regards,

Jason
Old 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
RCC Addict

well for that it is a Hyper 9.5 buggy with the Novak HV-MAXX high voltage brushless motor system that is recommended and used by 80% of the people converting to electric, Also I am running the exact same setup in my Losi 8 2.0 with identical gearing and a different BRAND of batteries with no problems, Both of these buggys are seasoned and all instructions for gearing were followed. The fact that the esc and the motor were cool to the touch and the other battery was cool to the touch leads me to believe that the amp draw was well with in what the manufacturer suggested. The High Dollar battery that went poof has a 100 amp continuous discharge rate. Now with considering I wasnt racing this buggy i was killing time and the fact that it was a 2 battery system and the other battery didnt go poof I have to say that the battery failed. Granted with ME not being a (lipo god) I must admit to not using a amp meter to set up a seasoned buggy. I could not find this on the NOVAK sight or on ANY battery manufacturers site? The info included in the NOVAK website and on the package plainly states that proper gearing is established thru the temp test method.

As for the first experience with the other High Dollar Battery mentioned it was one on my daughter's pti goliath with a 55 turn novak and a sidewinder and after about 15 minutes it swelled up and started smoking, after a thorough examination it was discovered that the tab that connect's the battery cells together had shorted out. I never thought this rig would have done that to a 3 cell 1550 lipo. and that was in the driveway going over bricks!! MY point is 2 out of 3 cells failed.