Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX3 with 3 position switch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question DX3 with 3 position switch?

Has anyone swapped out switch A of a DX3 with a 3 position switch for the rear steering like a TQ3 mod? I just don't like holding the switch in position while manipulating the throttle.
rkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

the dx3 has a 3 pos switch the dx3.0 doesnot which do you have?
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have a DX3. What I meant to ask was has anyone chaged the switch to a 3 position toggle switch as opposed to the stock spring loaded switch. Thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

sounds like you have a new project. post lots of pics. It shouldnt be to hard. as long as you pay attention to how it was wired and check and double check youre self.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone had traveled down that path before I decide to crack open my DX3. I've seen threads where people have swapped the A and B switches but haven't seen any info on a toggle switch installation. I've done it with a TQ3 so I'm guessing it won't be any more difficult. I'll definitely post pics etc. Thanks again...
Old 12-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

yeh would like to know as well

thanks for askin'!
sleek6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have installed a 2 position switch in my XR3(mechanically the same as a DX3) radios in the past to shift my emaxx. I bought a micro "on-off" toggle switch from radioshack, mounted it at the top of the grip for my left thumb, then soldered two wires between the switch and the circut board's contacts for switch "A"'s right or forward postion. When the toggle is up, the circut is open and the radio doesn't even know the switch is there. When the toggle is down, the radio thinks I'm holding switch "A" right or forward. I set the third channel to 3p mode, then turned travel adjust left all the way to 0 and travel adjust right all the way up to 190%. I set the toggle up, then installed the shift servo's horn on the servo in the first gear postion. When I flip the switch down the truck shifts to second.

For what you want to do, just get a micro "on-off-on" toggle with three contacts. Mount it in a comfy spot. Wire the middle contact to the common contact between "A"'s left and right contacts, then wire each remaining contact to "A"'s remaining contacts for left and right.

I have some pics to help explain... Switch "A" is actually a spring loaded plastic rocker that pushes momentary micro pushbuttons on the circut board when pushed one way or the other:

This next one shows the back of the circut board where I soldered the two wires. You can follow the board traces to see the common trace that I have the black wire soldered to. Connect the center contact there. The red wire I have connected to the right or forward's remaining contact, wire one of your switch's contacts to that and then connect the other to the contact to the right of the black wire in the pic:

This next pic shows where I mounted my switch for shifting duty. You can stick yours wherever you like, just make sure it clears the circut boards inside.

I also modified mine to run 10 cells since I run 2650mah Duracell Nimh AA's(8 alkalines=12 volts, 8 Nimh=9.6 volts, 10 Nimh=12 volts). This gives the radio a much longer usable runtime before the low battery alarm starts to beep and it helps range as well. Total parts needed are just a 2 cell holder and a 9volt battery pigtail from radioshack. The extra 2 cells hide in the grip:

(the white strapping tape is needed because the end of these 2 cell holders likes to break off over time from the spring pressure, the tape keeps this from happening, plus you can make a little pull-tab of tape so the holder can slide out of the grip without taking it apart...

Long winded, but I hope it helps...
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

AWESOME!! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much for taking the time to post the pics and instructions. I just wanted to make sure that if I craked open my DX3 I wouldn't be making it a paper weight.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I haven't split the case on my DX3 yet, but I was told in another thread to split it carefully and then unplug the antenna wire to get the case all the way apart. On my XR3, I just removed the crystal and unscrewed the antenna to get it apart...
Old 12-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

A HRCC member did this. He just spliced in a 3-way switch to the grip switch. Now he has 2, a toggle & a momentary.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention with the way I did it in the pics above, it doesn't change the use of the "A" switch at all, it still works like normal, this just adds the toggle in addition to the stock "A" switch. Also, you have to make sure the toggle is in the neutral or off position to change model memory or other settings...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I was wondering about the DX3 too. I played with my new super for the first time the other day and realized that the switch is really annoying and hard to hit. I will watch to see what else you guys can come up with.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention with the way I did it in the pics above, it doesn't change the use of the "A" switch at all, it still works like normal, this just adds the toggle in addition to the stock "A" switch. Also, you have to make sure the toggle is in the neutral or off position to change model memory or other settings...
Yeah, I noticed that. I was going to replace the switch, but I like the idea of just adding the toggle switch in parallel and not affecting the original configuration/set up. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

can you mod the dx3.0 to have a 3 pos switch?
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote