Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Outrunner or 7T cobalt puller?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Outrunner or 7T cobalt puller?

I'm trying to find a new setup for a mud truck/Trail rig I've been building and I've came down to either a HH 7t cobalt puller and sidewinder or the new RC4WD Outrunner setuphttp://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?products_id=796

I like the fact that the outrunner is waterproof already which is a must for me and it seems from what I've read that a 1000KV outrunner is pretty powerful but I don't know if it is enough for what I do or fast enough for what I want

I know that the HH 7T puller is definitely powerful enough for me but I'm worried about running a prefilter on it to keep chunks of mud out b/c of temps being too high and same for the esc b/c it will be in a sealed container

Running a R2HD trans and stock Axial Axles so I dont think gearing should be an issue except choosing a right pinion

I do sled pulling, tug-o-war, and constant water and mud with the truck and need the performance

Please help Thanks
CRAWL UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you low speed resolution is a priority then go with a brushed motor. I wouldn't worry about the heat on the 7t unless you are running 3s lipo. With an outrunner you will want to run 3s. Any outrunner is waterproof, just gotta make sure the ESC is.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

What voltage are you going to run?

If it's going to see water and mud, outrunner all the way. But you will need at least 3S type voltage to get wheel speed out of the outrunner. 4S and 5S would be even better and you would insane torque and wheelspeed.

I would not run a puller in the mud. It's a nice motor but it likes 7 volts because on 3S they run hot.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
If you low speed resolution is a priority then go with a brushed motor. I wouldn't worry about the heat on the 7t unless you are running 3s lipo. With an outrunner you will want to run 3s. Any outrunner is waterproof, just gotta make sure the ESC is.
So if I was to run the 7T and a 7 or 8cell nimh then that should give me enough power but keep it cool enough to run a prefilter so I don't ruin an $80 motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
What voltage are you going to run?

If it's going to see water and mud, outrunner all the way. But you will need at least 3S type voltage to get wheel speed out of the outrunner. 4S and 5S would be even better and you would insane torque and wheelspeed.

I would not run a puller in the mud. It's a nice motor but it likes 7 volts because on 3S they run hot.
Right now I have a couple 6cell Nimh and one 11.1v lipo but I plan on getting either another 11.1 lipo or a 7 or 8cell nimh just depends on what combo I end up with

Thats why I'm kind of weary about the outrunners torque b/c I don't plan on going over 11.1v and want to make sure it has enough torque
CRAWL UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote