Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: setup ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #1

Default setup ?

goat brushless or rooster and 55t novak ?

which is better ? and why ?

thanks guys , im buying a ax10 artc xc-1 and im looking into the brushless cause i run lipos , just wanted to know if one was better then other
benrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

tekin fxr pro
KILLER KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

get an esc and motor that can handle 3s lipo and higher voltages and you will be able to get the most out of a motor. on my axial ax-10 i run a 55t brushed motor at 9.6 volts and it has tons of tourqe and pleanty of wheel speed with a 14t pinion
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
pjr
Pebble Pounder

I have the Tekin FXR and the Rooster.The Tekin is great,the Rooster is a waste of time due to 2s lipo limit.If I had it to do over I would go with a MM so I could run brushed or brushless
pjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I would go mm with a holmes hobby brushless outrunner or your could run a 7turn puller. With this esc you will not be disapointed.
cobrawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Both ESC's have beefy 5Amp BEC's. Both have easy to replace wires. Both are very easy to do basic setup.

The Goat will have "tons" more power then a 55 turn. The Goat is much more adjustable if needed. Goat will have more wheel speed too.

If you're only trying to decide between the two Novak systems, you'll very likely be a bit more pleased with the Goat due to the very simple fact that it has more power. If you don't like the BL gig, you can use the ESC for brushed motors as well.

Big thing to me with either is they won't need an external BEC because they have Beefy BEC's. Cleaner wiring and one less item to worry about.

I read a lot of guys wanting 3S, and I can see why sometimes, there are situations that more wheel speed helps. I run with a few guys that all run Holmes 35 or 45T and 3S, I run a Goat on 2S. "Power" wise, I would say we're all about even and have more then enough power to "break" our trucks if we wanted, they beat me just a "little" when we drag race on the flats.

Good Luck
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Brushless motors are less controllable at low speed/startup, cost more, and have more power/rpm. They also last longer and are less prone to water/mud/dirt damage. But, I don't know any serious comp crawlers that run brushless because of the low speed control crawling demands. But if ya are just bashing around brushless is the way to go. Either way ya will want to run 3s or even 4s at some time and novak doesn't support that. I always recondmend a fxr/45 combo (on 3s) to newbies at about $100. Best crawler bang for the buck but if ya are going brushless a sidewinder combo will get ya going. If ya got the bucks a tekin RS sensored setup is the bomb. The only good thing I have to say about the novak stuff is thier bec is better than the rest but really ya ought to get an external ccbec anyway.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

castle creations 1/10 sidewinder with a lathe motor or an outrunner brushless motor.

either on 3s lipo will be nice!
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr View Post
the Rooster is a waste of time due to 2s lipo limit.
I disagree.
I run a Rooster crawler ,Holmes Hobbies 35t on 2s Lipo and have never lost points in a comp to the guys with hotrods in our club do to lack of wheel speed. Most crawlers could use more suspension setup time and less motor in my opinion.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote