Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Expert Motor Wiring Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Expert Motor Wiring Question

Working on a theory and would appreciate some input from you motor guys. Hypothetically, take a 55T Integy motor and unwind it. Lets say that the original wire is size #2 diameter (#for simplicity), what would happen if you took two 1# diameter wires and braided/twisted them together to form a solid wire that roughly would be the same diameter as the original (In essence divide the original into two wires and twist-em together). Now wrap the arm 55 times just like the original. What would be the results?? Would it act like a single wound 55t? Same torque but higher rpm? I know that technically it would be close if not a little bit larger surface area and thereby might be more efficient. Im sure someone has tried this just cant find any info on it. It would be pretty cool to have the torque per volt of a 55t but with the rpm per volt of lets say a 45t or a 35t. Does this make sense to anyone?
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

What you describe is a "double" wind. There's triples (3 strands), quads (4 strands) and so on.

Going to double/triples/quads and so on but keeping the same # of turns (the 55 in your example) tends to reduce the low rpm torque, and add higher rpm's. Also reduces the amp draw at lower rpm's. I had a 13 quint back in the day, super smooth bottom end, would rev to the moon. The multi strand motors were very useful back when the batteries were the limiting factor in how much power could be put out during a race.

Would be a hyper fine tuning option in a crawler. I've read that 35 double crawler motors do exist.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for your help. I understand the double triple and quad winds. I always thought they were the same size as a single just doubled, tripled, etc. up. But I think you might be right. It worked out differently in my head. So I guess it would make it a 55t double. But wouldnt a 55t double just have twice the wire? Two single sized strands doubled up. My theory was to take a single sized strand and split it in half then braid back together. So that would still have the same surface area as a single strand but it would be split in two breaking up the surface area. Ahhhhh if only there was a mind meld I might be able to describe this better.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

For any given number of turns, there is a max wire size that will physically fit. You want as much copper in the arm as possible. So, if 55 turns of 30 gage wire (that's a guess) just barely fits, then to make a 55 double, one would have to go quite a bit smaller to still have 55 turns fit in the same space.

If you wanted to keep the same wire size as a 55, and do a double strand, you'd probably end up with 25 to 30 turns. And a radically different acting motor........
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Twisting the wire would reduce your copper fill, not a good thing. You would want to wind them flat. Surface area does not play a role, only cross sectional area. The wire diameter does not make skin effect a big issue.

A double with half sized wire will have slightly less copper fill than a single strand wind with normal size wire. The wire coating takes up a bit of room. On some really low winds it is easiest to use double strand or more, because bending thick wire can be difficult. Also, certain gauges of wire may not fill properly because of dimensions, where a double or triple makes more sense.

Not much use for it in brushed crawler motors IMO.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks John. I think I understand.