Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3 positin switch help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 3 positin switch help

i am wanting to do the TQ3 mod to run rear steer. i have searched and gone to raido shack looking for a switch, cant find what im looking for. i want a switch that "stays" in the middle positin, so when i push it one way or the other it bounces back to the middle when i let off. all the ones i have seen stay in all three positions.

is what im looking for out there?
tj on 37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
jwo
Rock Crawler

im using the tq3 with the mod. i used a on-off-on switch. you have to toggle it back to center. i have heard of people using a car window switch. by the sounds of it. thats what you want. i sure any universal switch like that could be found at an auto parts store. i would recommend soldering in potentiometers to limit the throw of your servos. so they dont burn out. hope this helps
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

ask the shack dudes for 3pos switches.

any 3pos should work

most are trhe lil silver sticks w/ a foward, middle and rear position
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Got Worms?

well the smallest and easiest solution is to get 2 push button switches because the switch you want is a momentary on-off-on switch and they are fairly big and i could never find one that was small enough this is the one i'm using http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062502 and these you could wire up 2 of these http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062541 to also get what your wanting push one and you get one position and push another to get the other postion and they'll pop back up and your servo will return to center when they aren't being pushed
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
well the smallest and easiest solution is to get 2 push button switches because the switch you want is a momentary on-off-on switch and they are fairly big and i could never find one that was small enough this is the one i'm using http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062502 and these you could wire up 2 of these http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062541 to also get what your wanting push one and you get one position and push another to get the other postion and they'll pop back up and your servo will return to center when they aren't being pushed
thanks for the replys guys!

i have pots on the way. i have a tq3 i want to make work them im going to build a 2.4 tq4 (dig and rear steer) i like the push button idea, but i have no idea how to wire it up. i do want to use the pots so i dont trash a servo. i have seen the toggle switch diagram but i am still a little lost on how even to make that work. so i sure lost ont the push button??
Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Got Worms?

UMMMMMM its alittle hard to explain but if you want me too i can make up a simple diagram in paint to put the push buttons and trim to where all you have to do is put the wires where the diagram says

Last edited by losikid; 12-09-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: No longer Had a ?????? found a way to work around it
Old 12-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Got Worms?

alright i made a diagram if you have any questions please ask, pay attention to my Note: because i'm not quite sure how these switches work but you need to take a ohm meter or run power through it and check which outside prong will complete the circuit this is the the prong that you want to run the wires off the pots to, oh i forgot on the diagram put capacitors between the prongs on the switches, i don't no why but i was told to do it, i'll update the diagram a little later but for now this one will do

Last edited by losikid; 12-09-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

hey thanks for the diagram! its very heplful! is there a certain capacitor you like to use or size? i will let you know how it works out and how i like it.

your a bada$$ thanks!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj on 37s View Post
hey thanks for the diagram! its very heplful! is there a certain capacitor you like to use or size? i will let you know how it works out and how i like it.

your a bada$$ thanks!
I was told the caps that go on a motor so i went down to my lhs and asked for caps for a motor and they gave me some
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

here is the switch you are looking for
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TQ3-Rear-...t-p-16180.html
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
here is the switch you are looking for
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TQ3-Rear-...t-p-16180.html
Yea that switch can work to
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
Got Worms?

here i found the push buttons i was originaly looking for http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2062546# i'm pretty sure these will work and they're tiny
Old 12-11-2009, 03:48 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

i like the push button idea and want to give it a try. i am setting this up for rear steer but i am also going to get a dig down the road. i do not have my dig yet (ax10 VP dig) but would the push buttons or spring back switch work or will i need a switch that stay in all three spots?

lots of good info guys!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
Just jump it!

I got my switch from auto zone. It is 3 position and it stays in each position till you flip it back. I like it alot better than trying to hold the momentary switch.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I'd be very careful using 2 pushbutton switches - if you press them at the same time, you could do some damage to the Tx. If the pots are both set to minimum, and there aren't any additional resistors fitted, you can short 5v to ground by pressing both switches.

Capacitors are sometimes fitted across switch terminals to reduce "bounce" or cut down arcing. Not a problem with this kind of mod, so no need to fit them.

You can use a normal 3-position toggle or a momentary toggle (spring loaded), makes no difference, as, electrically, they are the same.
Using 2 pushbutton switches also works the same way, but you need to be sure that you can't get a dead short - check with a meter before fitting the batteries.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote