Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum SR300 Range Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Spektrum SR300 Range Issue

I'm using the subject RX mounted on top of a stock Berg chassis right next to a Punk Dig 2+. Once the crawler is about 40 ft away I lose radio contact. TX is the Futaba 3PK (older version) with a Spektrum module.

I'm pretty confident this is not normal but since I am new to 2.4gHz in ground vehicles, I want to make sure before sending things back to Horizon.
Knarly Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
JSN
Quarry Creeper

I use the spketrum modual with 3 SR300's and the 2.4 receiver that comes stock with the MRC along with my 3PKS... I can't say how far they will go as I use them in crawlers like you BUT I've went at least 150ft away with NO issues... I'm sure I could go as far as a FM 75Mhz set up would take me.

Have you tried moving things around to get the receiver as far away from the batt,ESC and maybe BEC? I have all the electronics cramed together on my MRC with NO issues but maybe moving the receiver away from everything might help. Try to keep the antenna away the chassis and other metal stuff... I have mine laying down but maybe try getting the antenna vertical in a small tube or something.

John
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thought I would ad a few pics...

Last edited by Knarly Nerd; 10-22-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Looks nice and clean the only thing I can suggest and I don't think it will help... move the receiver away from the punk and see if it's any better.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
JSN
Quarry Creeper

one thing you may check if you feel like opening the modual(4 tiny philips screws on the back cover) make SURE the tiny plug that connects the modual antenna to the PCB is connected and not loose.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
one thing you may check if you feel like opening the modual(4 tiny philips screws on the back cover) make SURE the tiny plug that connects the modual antenna to the PCB is connected and not loose.
That's a good idea. I had a similar problem when this RX was installed in a 1/12 pan car. It was mounted directly next to the ESC so I pretty much wrote off to proximity. (That thing was way too fast for old reactions!) There was no place else to put it.

I'm off to do work...thanks for the input.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I removed the RX and split the case. Must say that I am not impressed with what can be described as sloppy soldering on the bottom of the circuit board.

I'll be sending the RX and TX module to Spektrum next week.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailrotorblade View Post
I removed the RX and split the case. Must say that I am not impressed with what can be described as sloppy soldering on the bottom of the circuit board.

I'll be sending the RX and TX module to Spektrum next week.
Can you post a pic of the Rx board?

Seems like Horizon has a fairly substantial issue with QC on many of their products.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Can you post a pic of the Rx board?

Seems like Horizon has a fairly substantial issue with QC on many of their products.
Yep, here you go. One is clearly more focused than the other but both show the sloppy work.

Look closely in the clearest pic in the lower right hand corner of the board. There is a capacitor lead sticking out that doesn't even appear to be soldered. There is solder on the lead but I don't think its making connection. I couldn't even make an integrity determination with a magnifying glass.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Yep, here you go. One is clearly more focused than the other but both show the sloppy work.

Look closely in the clearest pic in the lower right hand corner of the board. There is a capacitor lead sticking out that doesn't even appear to be soldered. There is solder on the lead but I don't think its making connection. I couldn't even make an integrity determination with a magnifying glass.
Ummmmm............yeah, looks terrible.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Your magnifying glass must be a hell of a lot stronger than mine...I don't see a damn thing
Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Old 05-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post

Dude, Ray Charles is one of my all time favorite artists, but that right there...priceless.

Back to the topic at hand; tailrotor if you don't already have one, pick up a nice pencil tip for your soldering iron and you should be able to repair the joint rather than sending your equipment to Horizon.

The turn around time is just short of an eternity, and you may miss out on a whole lotta' crawling.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Dude, Ray Charles is one of my all time favorite artists, but that right there...priceless.
One of mine as well...the pic has been floating around the net for YEARS... still... it cracks me up everytime is see it

CreepyCrawl is right on horizon service... still... if you try and fix it and fail they won't do a thing for you... just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by JSN; 05-30-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well, I guess I deserve some of the "ribbing". My camera phone lacks resolution to adequately show the problems. I tried.

I sent an AR7000 to Horizon after a heli crash last year and got a new one back in less than three weeks. I know they have their issues, especially this time of year. We'll see what happens...

I was hoping to run across someone else that experienced similar troubles.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well, I guess I deserve some of the "ribbing". My camera phone lacks resolution to adequately show the problems. I tried.
No man, the problem is that you didn't post the pic in the first place

No worries, just let us know how it works out.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
No man, the problem is that you didn't post the pic in the first place
Point well taken. I heard rumors that my problem was not unusual so I didn't consider shooting pics until the suggestion was made. As mentioned in a previous post, my cellphone camera is not ideal for detail pics.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Oh shit. Looking back I see my pictures didn't post. No wonder y'all were fawking with me! Here they are, for what it's worth. 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Last edited by Knarly Nerd; 10-22-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Update

UPDATE: Horizon received the RX and TX module yesterday. A tech called today to say the RX is OK but the TX module is shot. Both items are on their way back to me to be received Thursday. Pretty good service! I have had nothing but good, positive experiences with the Horizon service departrment!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
UPDATE: Horizon received the RX and TX module yesterday. A tech called today to say the RX is OK but the TX module is shot. Both items are on their way back to me to be received Thursday. Pretty good service! I have had nothing but good, positive experiences with the Horizon service departrment!
Excellent. I recently had a good experience with them, too.

From that picture, the soldering actually looks OK. It's all that burnt flux and crap they didn't clean up.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote