Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Waterproof Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Waterproof Electronics

First off, I know I will be flamed by a few for not searching and ignored by more for asking a question they think has been answered. I have searched and read extensively on this and RC4WD Forums, and really get a lot of info on dielectric grease, JBWeld, ballooning and other methods of making non waterproof ESC's waterproof.

For those of you that are kind enough to help, thank you:

I am building a new Timber Wolf and would like to make it as waterproof as I can, I am building styrene fender wells to reduce mud sling, or maybe they are more like compartmentalizing the electronics section. I will be using a SR3000 receiver in a waterproof box, I am bouncing between the Holmes TorqueMaster BR-XL with a brushed motor or the MTroniks G2 Pro with a brushless. I also need a High Torque Servo and have heard the HiTec 5XXX and 7XXX series have some water proof servos but I can't find anything in the HiTec propaganda.

Any opinions or experiences with the ESC's? Any ideas on the servos? I may have to just do the waterproofing manually on it.

I have a SCX10 2.2 mud truck built on the Traxxas XL-5 esc and the 2075 Servo which seems to do fine in the mud, I think I am going to throw my VXL system in it to get more wheel speed, and for my SCX10 1.9 scaler I am going to go the waterproof box route as I am not running anything real hot in it.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Same thing I posted in Last week's waterproof thread

A guy here in Calgary built a Tamiya Tundra as waterproof as possible, check out this video of him running it in water. The last part of the video he's completely underwater, quite impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2tpdiNOfWI

And here's his "How to waterproof" electronics video of his method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWncPVO1o7s
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post

While this thread is relatively new, and so that I don't make a new one, I'll ask a quick question (don't mean to thread-jack, sorry!)

I'm wanting to waterproof a servo, and bought some dielectric grease the other day. I immediately set out to find the procedure for waterproofing via the dielectric grease, but every video/explaination I've found has used something other than D.E. grease.

What exactly is the procedure for using the dielectric grease? Do I use it in the same manner shown in the video above?
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

i got a scx10 cherokee on 2.2s and ima buy a 2wd traxxas slash and get all the electronics out of it so i have a nice receiver/transmitter and all water proof
XxRockStar199xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRockStar199xX View Post
i got a scx10 cherokee on 2.2s and ima buy a 2wd traxxas slash and get all the electronics out of it so i have a nice receiver/transmitter and all water proof
Not a horrible Idea if you can stand the weak BLUE servo!

I'm running a waterproof XL-5 I pulled out of a slash in my SCX10, with perfect results
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
RCC Addict

My opinion exactly, that is why I was asking the question to start. The Traxxas 2075 can be had by itself for for $20 to $30 on the bay, but it won't crank those stickty tires and weighted front ends on a scale crawler very well. I have a SCX10 mud truck with all traxxas components and it runs fine and thru water with no issues, but cant turn those 2.2s when hooked up to decent dirt more or less rock. I was thinking of a way to do the dual steering servers like the ERevo and the Summit, but I believe I will just get a good high torque/High Speed and do the grease/dip method on it.

The link the first answer give the best description I have yet to se of how to waterproof a server, now if I can just get some reviews or opinions on the Holmes Brushed and G2 Brushless I'd be dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
Not a horrible Idea if you can stand the weak BLUE servo!

I'm running a waterproof XL-5 I pulled out of a slash in my SCX10, with perfect results
Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks, this is the best info I have seen yet on waterproofing Servos. I think I will use this on the BEC too, but I don't see it happening on an ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
Same thing I posted in Last week's waterproof thread

A guy here in Calgary built a Tamiya Tundra as waterproof as possible, check out this video of him running it in water. The last part of the video he's completely underwater, quite impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2tpdiNOfWI