Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: "The Dig" and DX3R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default "The Dig" and DX3R

ok so i thought i had this figured out, but the more i read the more i am un sure.

I ordered up 2x FXR and the Novak "The Dig" to run on an XR10 when it comes out. I ordered the dig because with the research i did, it looked like i would get all the benefits of a dual esc system out of a 3ch DX3R.

Now that i am reading up on it some more, its seems like i get very little ability to actually put the duals to use.

Can anyone give me some insight here?

I have never driven with a stick but if that's going to be a better option i may have to try it out.. Dont really want to buck up and get a 4pk unless i really need to. (already have the DX3R)

Im still learning how to drive so i really just want what will work best for my limited ability. Any suggestions and help are greatly appreciated.
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
D-Wray 4 Prez!

If you want to run all the options you need a 4 channel. 4 wheel, Front dig, rear dig, and cutting brake. But if you don't want to run the cutting brake you can run it with front and rear dig like a berg with the DX3R.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have not really considered the cutting break yet. I dont even know what it does lol. i assumed wait to deal with that since its a "future mod" unless i missed some info on it.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Well you can read through this to get all the info on it. *FYI it's a lot of reading*
Axial XR10 Kit
Or just go to Axialracing.com. Brandon and Bender are the 2 guys that have all the info, if you can't find what you need.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
Well you can read through this to get all the info on it. *FYI it's a lot of reading*
Axial XR10 Kit
Or just go to Axialracing.com. Brandon and Bender are the 2 guys that have all the info, if you can't find what you need.
Yeah thats why i never read that thread. I have the time(9 hours of almost nothing at work 11pm-8am) but not the patients to read all the chit chat.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Cutting Brakes are simply individual wheel brakes. Here is some reading:
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...kes/index.html

As for what to do as far as electronics on the XR10, if you are refusing to upgrade to a 4ch (or higher) radio, then it is pointless for you to get two ESCs. The benefits of a dual ESC setup arise when you want to dial down the percentage of one ESC/motor or the other. For example....let's say I am wanting to climb a vertical rock face, but I need the rear tires to be spinning, not locked, but only provide 50% of their normal power. On a 4ch system w/o dig switch, this is easily adjusted via one of the switches. If you run a dig switch, then this cannot happen.

BTW, you should really research radios more. For my Super (dual ESC and front and rear steer) I run the Nomadio React....it does everything that the 4PK does and you can program it on your computer (not stare at a small screen for hours like the 4PK). Oh, also, I only paid $150 for it...

A stick radio has more adjustability than any pistol grip radio that I have seen....the downfall...it isn't easy (at least it wasn't for me) to get used to driving with that radio.

Last edited by JeremyH; 07-05-2010 at 05:13 AM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it Jeremy. At 1st i thought that the DX3R at least had a little mixing available to be able to change front wheel speed or rear.
I have read up on the nomadio actually. Just didnt list it as an option.

So if i were to get a nomadio, it would allow me to adjust front/rear wheel speed bias and have dig. Or do you just change mixing on the radio to act as dig with no alternate switch? And have a spare channel to run cutting break if i want?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Im going to try and explain myself again.

I assumed the DX3R had the ability to use the dig function and allow a little bit of motor mixing as well. So obviously im wrong in my thinking on how MOA is actually set up.

I assumed all rigs had a dig switch and what not, and the dual ESC is just for differentiating front/rear speed. If im not getting this wrong again.. Is it like this, if i run 2 esc i would just set up a mix mode to cut power to 1 motor for dig? and still have the ability to mix the motors for what jeremy was talking about? Im so confused lol..

My assumptions were way off. So how about Just suggestions on what i should do do have the full function of the MOA.

Right now i have 2x FXR, Novak "The Dig" and a DX3R..
What do i need to use as a complete set up if i purchase a 4ch radio or a dx6? I really like the pistol grip radio so if a nomadio will control everything i need(add in cutting break in the future maybe) i will go with that.

Do i just need the 2x FXR without the dig if i have a 4ch?

Sorry its 7am and im very sleepy and maybe sounding a bit delusional.

Last edited by Fattymojo; 07-05-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I dont run any mixing on my dual ESC setup. Both ESCs are set for 100% power....and when I push one switch (in 5% increments) I can dial down one ESC.....another switch for the other ESC. I also have (separate) buttons for front/rear dig (0% motor). Yes, you should only need two ESCs...no dig switch. If you search through the electronics forum, you'll find a thread where I posted my settings for my 2.2 (single ESC w/punk dig) and super (dual ESC w/front and rear steer)....

BTW, a bit of information about the React.....it can be bound to some (DSM) Spektrum Rxs, but for full use of the 4channel, you'll need to get the Nomadio Transciever. Here is a small downfall.....the Nomadio Transciever is not as small as the Futaba Rxs....and it has a fairly long antenna. Also, you can pick up a new Transmitter from Stormer hobbies for $150. The Transcievers can be had from Amain for $80, IIRC.

Last edited by JeremyH; 07-05-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, thats pretty much what i was going for. Full dig + adjustability if need be.
But, i think for now i may just try the 1 esc with the dig and see if i can deal with any stall. If not, ill get a new radio and go dual.
Any cons to using the novak dig i have vs changing that up as well?
I got a little over excited with paypal looks like
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I dont have any experience with the Novak dig, but my experiences with their products has not ended well. Yeah, before you go spending a ton of money, try what you have first, get used to driving that and when your driving skills exceede the capabilities of the truck, then upgrade.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Novak's "The Dig" is only for use with 2 ESC's. You can use the dual FXR's and "The Dig" with your DX3R since you already have the stuff. You just wont be able to dial down one or the other ESC. I Nomadio Sensor will also do everything you want. Thats what Im using on my LCC MOA. Down fall is, Nomadio has cut off all customer support for there RC radio's, and I can only get the PC software to work on my old windows XP pc. Couldnt get to work on Vista, havent tried it on 7 yet.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
I can only get the PC software to work on my old windows XP pc. Couldnt get to work on Vista, havent tried it on 7 yet.
That's good to know....I am still running XP on all of my computers and was thinking of upgrading to 7 on my desktop....looks like I need to keep XP on my notebook.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Novak's "The Dig" is only for use with 2 ESC's. You can use the dual FXR's and "The Dig" with your DX3R since you already have the stuff. You just wont be able to dial down one or the other ESC.
Exactly! It will work just like a single esc and puck switch. I think it is a better way actually because you are switching to low voltage signal rather than the high voltage outputs, the dual fxrs + dig are actually smaller/lighter than a fxr/punk combo, and ya may have alittle less clod stall with dual esc. But really to get the most control out of a moa ya need dual esc + sticks. Since ya are new it will be easier to learn sticks right off than having to unlearn a pistol when moving to sticks. I would really recommend ya ditch the dx3r/novak and get a 6ex or dx6. Learn to crawl with sticks and that is all ya will ever need!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Novak's "The Dig" is only for use with 2 ESC's. You can use the dual FXR's and "The Dig" with your DX3R since you already have the stuff. You just wont be able to dial down one or the other ESC. I Nomadio Sensor will also do everything you want. Thats what Im using on my LCC MOA. Down fall is, Nomadio has cut off all customer support for there RC radio's, and I can only get the PC software to work on my old windows XP pc. Couldnt get to work on Vista, havent tried it on 7 yet.
I dont have the Nomadio, but installed the software just to see. It installed and seems to work on my vista 64bit. But who knows if it would work with the radio when hooked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Exactly! It will work just like a single esc and puck switch. I think it is a better way actually because you are switching to low voltage signal rather than the high voltage outputs, the dual fxrs + dig are actually smaller/lighter than a fxr/punk combo, and ya may have alittle less clod stall with dual esc. But really to get the most control out of a moa ya need dual esc + sticks. Since ya are new it will be easier to learn sticks right off than having to unlearn a pistol when moving to sticks. I would really recommend ya ditch the dx3r/novak and get a 6ex or dx6. Learn to crawl with sticks and that is all ya will ever need!
Thats a good point. Ive been trying to imagine in my head driving with a stick lol. seems it could get confusing at 1st but im sure i could adapt. Maybe i should just try it out...They are fairly in expensive. Any dsm or dsm2 RX will work for this application, or do i need the RX to match the TX.(i guess channels come in to play)

Last edited by Fattymojo; 07-05-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
RCC Addict

The software installed on my vista 32bit and acts like it works, but when I plug the controler up to the USB port via the cable it wont recognize it, says it needs drivers, then searches, and never finds them. Not even when I manualy select the file.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Since you have the DX3r, the Novak dig and 2 ESC's ... I would go with that.

You can deal with the cuting brake stuff when it comes out and you see if you will really need it. (or want it)

I have driven both stick and wheel radios, and I just cant walk around on rocks and keep sticks steady.

Dialing back a motor (what you can do with 4 channels) is only really useful in limited situations (at least thats what several of the 4PK guys tell me). I decided this season that I would stick with the DX3r until I just couldn't keep up with the 4 channel guys. I have no plans to switch yet .

If you want to spend the $$... go for it. If you don't... use what you have and you would be fine for a long time.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Since you have the DX3r, the Novak dig and 2 ESC's ... I would go with that.

You can deal with the cuting brake stuff when it comes out and you see if you will really need it. (or want it)

I have driven both stick and wheel radios, and I just cant walk around on rocks and keep sticks steady.

Dialing back a motor (what you can do with 4 channels) is only really useful in limited situations (at least thats what several of the 4PK guys tell me). I decided this season that I would stick with the DX3r until I just couldn't keep up with the 4 channel guys. I have no plans to switch yet .

If you want to spend the $$... go for it. If you don't... use what you have and you would be fine for a long time.
Sounds reasonable, Maybe ill have it tuned up by time i head to Disney(if the XR10 release is on time ).

Last edited by Fattymojo; 07-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.