Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FX-R ESC problums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tekin FX-R ESC problums

HEy everyone,
been having some problums with my new Tekin FX-R ESC. I have it on my SCX10 with the tekin 35T motor and a 2s lipo. Its got the stock gearing the truck has. Ive only ran the truck 2 times for about 45 minutes just crawling over small rocks, dirt mounds, and logs. and around 45 mintues the truck would just stop during a turn or wheels where turned and got stuck on a rock.

today I went to drive it around my house on very short carpet and tile, and in less then a minute the truck shut off after while turning. so I checked the ESC and every light was on and it was very hot. and this is with only runing the truck for a minute with a fan blowing on it.

I have no clue whats going on. Should I contact Tekin and send it back to them? This really ticks me off only having the truck for a few days now and only getting to run it alittle bit.
PontiacGT201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It sounds like our ESC is thermaling. You should look into getting a good BEC it will more than likely fix your problem
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

hmm ok well Im discharging and recharging my lipos, just incase. The FX-R has a built in BEC but I probly need a bigger one.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

A external bec is always a good investment...that being said, the fxr should not go into thermal on 2s unless there are other issues.check for binding in your axles,drivelines,hexs,ring/pinion,tranny pinion mesh etc...also driving in tall grass or simular may cause the issue alonf with being geared to high.

Good luck,one of those should solve your issues
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Make sure your steering trim is set correctly. A high torque servo + not having the end points set correctly will overload the BEC in a hurry.

Check gear mesh also but that is most likely not the problem.

I have a similar setup in a Honcho. FXR and 35T Pro, 3S 1550mah lipo, Savox 150oz servo. Using the FXR's internal BEC I can run for a good hour until the battery is dead and only have 3 of the lights on the Temp sensor lit in the ESC. ESC is warm but not hot after the run.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Just to be sure im doing it right can someone explain Setting the steering trim correctly? thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

also I pulled the motor and when I turn the gear on it it doesnt spin it jumps little by little. you have to really have to try to turn it to get it to spin, it doesnt just spin freely. which mabie is the way its suppost to be. Still getting use to these crawlers.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

How much juice is left in your packs when it shuts down? You sure you just arent out of batteries?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

It is the endpoint settings you need to be concerned with, not the trim. Basically you adjust your endpoints until you hear the servo pushing against the mechanical limits of the steering, then back it off until the servo not binding.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGT201 View Post
Just to be sure im doing it right can someone explain Setting the steering trim correctly? thanks
What radio? Do you have a manual for it? Some rtr radios don't have servo endpoint adjustment.

I normally get the front tires off the ground. Go into the steering menu and turn down the left and right endpoints to about 50. I then turn right on the steering wheel, while holding right I will increase the right endpoint in my radio just so the steering reaches full lock. Then I decrease the setting 2-3 points. I then do the left in the same manner.

As someone else said that you could be hitting the Low Voltage cutoff. When you hit the LVC you will loose throttle but still have the ability to steer. That may be something else for you to look into.

As for the motor the jumping should be the armature jumping from pole to pole against the magnets. It should turn with little effort with a pinion on the shaft but probably wont free spin.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

the 1 minute run today was on a freshly charged battery

Im useing the spektrum DX3E TX and RX

ok just wanted be sure thats how the motor should be cause thats what its doing.

Last edited by PontiacGT201; 09-22-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the 1 minute run today was on a freshly charged battery

Im useing the spektrum DX3E TX and RX
Top left of the radio. ST-L and ST-R
Old 09-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

lol I was just looking at that haha. thanks. IM gonna work with those and see if that solves it. Im also gonna get a BEC on friday to help anyways.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

well playing with the steering trim. It drove alittle longer but the ESC is getting really hot. and its still shutting off. sometimes all the lights shut off on the ESC and then other times they all flash.

Im hoping I did the steering end points right. Turned them all the way up then backed them back 2 points. on the controller.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

First off is your motor getting hot also? Do you have a temp gun?

Take your motor out or take the pinion off. Then spin the wheels.if they spin for a second or two then your good,just need a smaller pinion so the load on the esc is less.

If it doesnt spin freely find out why.
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

the wheels spin freely when not connected to the motor.

no the motor doesnt get hot just the ESC.

Tried running it again and got about a 2 minute run and then it stopped and all the lights started blinking. after reading the FX-R manual it says if all lights are blinking check for dead batteries, Bad Battery connections to speed control, Bad Receiver plug connection, broken power switch, broken wires, bad or mismatched crystals, or bad radio equipment. check that servo plug is not shorting to the speed control plug and that speed control is plugged into THR.

I have done all that and everything seems ok.

also says that if all LEDs are Flashing= no radio signal, check radio system.

When driving the truck im within 5 feet from the truck so I figured its not the signal. the only thing I can think is that the batteries in my Controller are dying. cause they have been in my controller for a good while.

Last edited by PontiacGT201; 09-22-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

oh and I do not have a temp gun.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

how many tooth pinion are you running?

also make sure that the solder connections on the esc( motor +- and batt +-) are not touching.
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

well Talking with another guy my signal problum might have been caused cause I had the ESC right on top of the reciver. I moved it just incase. but I need new batteries for the Transmitter so I have to wait till I can get them.

all the soldering connections are good and not touching.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
hmm ok well Im discharging and recharging my lipos, just incase. The FX-R has a built in BEC but I probly need a bigger one.
You need to set the voltage cutoff on the FXR to 2s, and dont discharge the lipos past that point, recharge them. And dont let them sit at low voltage, it can ruin them, one of mine swelled up like a dead road side raccoon.
44newman is offline   Reply With Quote