Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LiPo charger - what to look for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LiPo charger - what to look for?

What is worth looking at for a comprehensive LiPo charger?
And what is a decent LiPo battery these days?
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Personally, I like my charger to accept both AC and DC input and have a built-in balancer. I've been using the Hyperion EOS606I AC/DC for a few years now with excellent results. Jason at Krawler Hobbies has been offering GREAT deals on these chargers lately.
http://krawlerhobbies.1freecart.com/...r-balancer.htm
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Get something that would handle at least 6 cell lipo.

You never know when you might want to go to planes / helis.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Personally, I like my charger to accept both AC and DC input and have a built-in balancer. I've been using the Hyperion EOS606I AC/DC for a few years now with excellent results. Jason at Krawler Hobbies has been offering GREAT deals on these chargers lately.
I have had good luck with this as well but plan on putting the duo on my x-mas list this year as I want to start racing boats and 1/8 scale.

http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0615i-DUO3.htm
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.a.v.e View Post
I have had good luck with this as well but plan on putting the duo on my x-mas list this year as I want to start racing boats and 1/8 scale.

http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0615i-DUO3.htm
Well yeah, the duo is just plain awesome! I've wanted one for a while now...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

http://cheapbatterypacks.com/?apage=...d=CBP6i50-ACDC
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

ive always used the IMAX B5 or B6 since ive been crawling. i started using it when i was running 8 cell NiMh split packs on my AX10 and then continued using it with my 1350 mah 3S LiPo packs. that was mostly with the B5, and now that ive come back again i bought a B6 and am still impressed with its simplicity and functionality for the price. it has the balance plugs built in to the housing so thats just one less thing to keep up with and you can buy it with or without the AC adapter. i personally use a modified PC power supply so i bought the one without the adapter but its only a difference of $9 either way. i guess i might see the difference in chargers if i actually owned one, but i really fail to understand why i should pay $200 or more for a charger when i can get one for $30-40 that provides the same capability. heres where i got mine:

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=110
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
this is an awesome charger! very easy to use, handles up tp 6s lipo, has charge, discharge, and lipo store mode! and balances while you charge, worth every penny!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
Moderator Rule Breaker

If I could do it all over again.

I would look into a charger that can charge more than 1 battery.

It sucks charging one battery at time.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the thoughts on the chargers - certainly a couple of good ones to pick from.

Now, onto the LiPo themselves - hopefully i can get a the charger and the pack from the same place too.

Had a bit of a look around ta LiPo's and cant seem to grasp what the 20C, 30C, 45C etc bit is about?

I know i want a 3S LiPo (11.1v i guess it would be) but i dont understand what difference the rest makes?
it will be used on a Tekin FXR with Tekin 35t motor and a Cc 10a 6s Switching BEC.
How does it all fit together (the 30C part etc)
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway View Post
Thanks for the thoughts on the chargers - certainly a couple of good ones to pick from.

Now, onto the LiPo themselves - hopefully i can get a the charger and the pack from the same place too.

Had a bit of a look around ta LiPo's and cant seem to grasp what the 20C, 30C, 45C etc bit is about?

I know i want a 3S LiPo (11.1v i guess it would be) but i dont understand what difference the rest makes?
it will be used on a Tekin FXR with Tekin 35t motor and a Cc 10a 6s Switching BEC.
How does it all fit together (the 30C part etc)
Personally I have never compared a 20c vs a 40c to truly see the difference. The idea is that a higher c rating allows you to pull more current out of the battery at a time thus translating into more power & speed. When I called MaxAmps they told me its all a marketing hoax and no one really knows what the c rating of a pack is as it ranges based on the cells and what not & there is no "standard" way to test/verify this. With that said the ones I have for my crawler are the losi 35c 3 cell packs @ 1350mah. Which I bought because someone had some extras for a good price and they were the min mah I wanted.

So a BEC is a hole other thing and nothing to do with the C rating of the battery, there are some good threads about it but & there seem to be two ways to hook it up (Mine should be in today). BEC to the receiver or strait to the servo. I'm going to hook mine up though the receaver and disconnect the red cord from the ESC to the receiver so power is only coming from the BEC. Eather way you still have to soder it on to the lead going into the ESC from the battery. I don't have the link handy but there are some good threads and wiring diagrams on there about it.
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote