Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 20c or 30c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Default 20c or 30c

what would u guys recommend

the 20c or 30c 2s 5000 mah lipo battery

for my axial scx10, with stock 27t motor?
ckscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

a 30c would be more power, it has more output than 20c so it would die faster though.
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

30C can handle more of a draw than a 20C, but in a crawler, you will likely notice no difference at that capacity
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
a 30c would be more power, it has more output than 20c so it would die faster though.
thats actually not true. the battery can handle more amperage draw, however it only supplies what the motor is pulling from it. if your motor only pulls 20 amps, thats all that will come from the battery. in that case both batteries would theoreticly hit voltage cutoff at the same time.

20c or 30c, not going to matter much in a scaler. a 5000mah 20c is good for 100 amps, a 30c is 150 amps, nowhere near what a scaler will pull. imo, buy the cheaper one, save cash for other upgrades
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
thats actually not true. the battery can handle more amperage draw, however it only supplies what the motor is pulling from it. if your motor only pulls 20 amps, thats all that will come from the battery. in that case both batteries would theoreticly hit voltage cutoff at the same time.

20c or 30c, not going to matter much in a scaler. a 5000mah 20c is good for 100 amps, a 30c is 150 amps, nowhere near what a scaler will pull. imo, buy the cheaper one, save cash for other upgrades
allright thanks

the difference in price between the 20c and 30c is 3$ lol. not bad
ckscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

in that case buy the 30c then. ya never know what r/c you might end up with down the road and if you end up needing some good lipos, you have them.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post

Ill disagree with you on this. Your theory is absolutely correct BUT.. the ability of the battery to deliver more amperage along with a higher voltage will drain the battery a little bit slower.

The higher C rating, the more efficient the pack.
You'll likely get slightly higher wheelspeeds with a higher c pack.

Not only do you have more amperage with a higher c pack, you have higher available voltage at the same amp draw. Example, say you have a 20c and a 30c pack. At 50 amps, the 20c pack will have a lower voltage than a 30c pack.

Last edited by jcboof; 08-02-2010 at 11:55 AM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The 30c will also take a bit faster of charge. If it is only $3, get the better battery. Higher discharge rate batteries will take more abuse and live longer.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Ill disagree with you on this. Your theory is absolutely correct BUT.. the ability of the battery to deliver more amperage along with a higher voltage will drain the battery a little bit slower.

The higher C rating, the more efficient the pack.
You'll likely get slightly higher wheelspeeds with a higher c pack.

Not only do you have more amperage with a higher c pack, you have higher available voltage at the same amp draw. Example, say you have a 20c and a 30c pack. At 50 amps, the 20c pack will have a lower voltage than a 30c pack.
You're right to an extent, but you have to realize, that at the levels he is going to be discharging, there will be no noticeable difference. In fact, if you were to put a 20A load on both packs, and record a voltage curve over time, I bet they would lay on top of each other almost perfectly. With the Mah of the pack, a 10C would be more than adequate.

But if there is only a 3 buck difference, go with the 30C. You might have a brushless go-faster some day that would like that pack.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Chris, I agree with you on this on the fact that with the size of the lipo he likely would not notice much difference. But with a powerful brushless motor, he would likely notice it. I noticed a HUGE difference in my VTA car when I switched from a 20c to a 40c 5000mah pack.
In a smaller pack like most comp crawlers run, you would definitely notice a higher c pack.

Put an 850mah 15c pack in my truck, then put in my 850mah 90c TP pack and you'll crap your pants. Its that big of a difference.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Chris, I agree with you on this on the fact that with the size of the lipo he likely would not notice much difference. But with a powerful brushless motor, he would likely notice it. I noticed a HUGE difference in my VTA car when I switched from a 20c to a 40c 5000mah pack.
In a smaller pack like most comp crawlers run, you would definitely notice a higher c pack.

Put an 850mah 15c pack in my truck, then put in my 850mah 90c TP pack and you'll crap your pants. Its that big of a difference.
Absolutely! The TP 850 45C(you're thinking 90 burst) are killer! I am going to order some 2S packs, and morph them into 4S for my comper once my batts die.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
You're right to an extent, but you have to realize, that at the levels he is going to be discharging, there will be no noticeable difference. In fact, if you were to put a 20A load on both packs, and record a voltage curve over time, I bet they would lay on top of each other almost perfectly. With the Mah of the pack, a 10C would be more than adequate.

But if there is only a 3 buck difference, go with the 30C. You might have a brushless go-faster some day that would like that pack.
I agree with your info especially for crawling. And, yes, for the $3 difference, go with the 30C pack. There are more advantanges as others have stated to go with the higher C rated pack. I hope you are comparing the C rating based upon the same brand and line of lipos. If not, then you may want to really look at the specs better because some companies underrate their lipos while others overrate their specs.
DNAMRC is offline   Reply With Quote