Notices

Thread: Futaba 3PL 3-Channel 2.4GHz FHSS w/R2004GF Receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Futaba 3PL 3-Channel 2.4GHz FHSS w/R2004GF Receiver

The specs look interesting:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZZD1&P=ML

There is mention of CH3 and CH4, I would like to see some clarification on this.

This could be great competition for the DX3E. It is $115 and extra receivers are $50.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Futaba is coming out with lower line 2.4 3pl and 4pl radios along with an upgraded 4pk but I haven't heard of any real info yet????? At least the 3pl seems to be real and ready for preorder?
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have been trying to decipher the specs and it appears this may be a 4 channel radio with a specific purpose.

They call it a 3+1.

The 3rd channel is switched with servo reversing and EPA (can't tell how many positions from the specs)

The 4th channel appears to be a steering mix channel with special 4WS options. It supports servo reversing with EPA and neutral adjustment.

So in general it looks like it is a 3 channel radio where the 3rd channel doesn't get used up for steering mix. Not bad for the price!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Any more infor on this - I'm curious about the 3rd channel for dig and will it allow for 3 positions?
swollen goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

This will kill off the DX3E.
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I still can't figure out what CH3 is capable of. Futaba support wouldn't give out any additional information because the product is not released yet. We can only hope that it is capable of more than 2 positions.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Now that it is actually shipping from multiple vendors, can anyone discuss what CH3 is capable of? No specs or press releases cover the topic.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

KK - I emailed Futaba support, here is what I wrote:

I'm looking at purchasing a 3PL radio. I would use it on a 1/10 scale rock crawler. I would use the 3rd channel for the dig function on the transmission.

My question is this:
How many positions does the 3rd channel have? With two positions the transmission can have: 1. dig engaged and 2. dig disengaged. With a 3 position switch you have a neutral position in between.

I would appreciate and information you can give on this.
Thanks,

Here is their response:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.
That only has a two positions for channel 3.
We hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.)
DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.
Sincerely,
John G.- PS9004
Product Support Lead Technician
Futaba Programming Technician
Great Planes Model Distributors
NO AUTORESPONDER

swollen goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swollen goat View Post
That only has a two positions for channel 3.
I wish it was a different answer, but at least we know what it is capable of now. This would be good for someone with rear steer and a set of lights. It is not quite DX3E competition. Can't wait to see what the 4pl is capable of...
Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Im just curious how this would be good for rear steer, wouldn't you need a 3 position switch to do rear steer?? I would think this would work for an axial or something with just rear dig, engage and disengage. Am I wrong? I'm asking a legit question not trying to be an a critic at all.
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
Im just curious how this would be good for rear steer, wouldn't you need a 3 position switch to do rear steer?? I would think this would work for an axial or something with just rear dig, engage and disengage. Am I wrong? I'm asking a legit question not trying to be an a critic at all.
Great question, I should have been clearer instead of making assumptions. The 2-position switch relates to the 3rd channel only. As a bonus, this system can mix CH1 into CH4 for rear steering applications. It will be great for those that need this sort of setup. It is not so great for those that need a 3-postion switch who don't use rear steer.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
Great question, I should have been clearer instead of making assumptions. The 2-position switch relates to the 3rd channel only. As a bonus, this system can mix CH1 into CH4 for rear steering applications. It will be great for those that need this sort of setup. It is not so great for those that need a 3-postion switch who don't use rear steer.
I'm glad I found this thread. This has answered a couple of questions I have had about the 3PL. Does anyone know if you can mix say channel 2 and 3? Lets say you want to have a dual ESC and Dual Steering setup?

Also does anyone know exact what the 1 and 4 steering mixing entails? Is it just 4 Wheel Steering or can you rotate from Front Wheel Steer, Rear Wheel Steer, 4 Wheel Steer, Crab Walk?

Thanks
Disjaukifa
disjaukifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The 4WS mixing for channel 1 and 4 consists of, Inhibit - turns the rear steer off and returns to center, 4WS - rear steer on and Reverse - crab walk feature.

I'm still reading the manual but it doesnt look like you can mix channel 2 and 3 for dual esc's. The only mixing I can see is the 4WS mixing of channel 1 and 4.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
The 4WS mixing for channel 1 and 4 consists of, Inhibit - turns the rear steer off and returns to center, 4WS - rear steer on and Reverse - crab walk feature.

I'm still reading the manual but it doesnt look like you can mix channel 2 and 3 for dual esc's. The only mixing I can see is the 4WS mixing of channel 1 and 4.
Where did you find the manual. I have looked on Futaba's website and couldn't find anything.

Please post a link if you have a chance!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by disjaukifa View Post
Where did you find the manual. I have looked on Futaba's website and couldn't find anything.

Please post a link if you have a chance!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Its available in German only so far. Try searching for Megatech T3PL.

I use Babelfish to convert it but the conversion is not always accurate and a bit slow going.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRoo View Post
Its available in German only so far. Try searching for Megatech T3PL.

I use Babelfish to convert it but the conversion is not always accurate and a bit slow going.
Thats better than nothing, thank you so much for the information!

-Disjaukifa