Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak m2 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Novak m2 question

does the Novak m2 do the same things as seperate controllers?
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Yes, The M2 will allow you to independently cotrol each motor as long as your radio is capable.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
Yes, The M2 will allow you to independently cotrol each motor as long as your radio is capable.
Thnx man. That settles it then. Now I know what I am getting
Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
Thnx man. That settles it then. Now I know what I am getting
I have also been considering getting the M2 also, I am just kind of worried tht all the kinks have not been worked out yet. You might want to wait a bit to guy the M2 unless you feel like dealing with the headache until the little bugs get worked out
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm very happy with this speedo. My only complaint is the dig setting from the factory is very soft.

One problem some people have had is forgetting to calibrate the 3rd channel.

What radio are you going to be running?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I'm very happy with this speedo. My only complaint is the dig setting from the factory is very soft.
How can you be happy if the DIG isn't functioning like it should?
I personally can't believe all the people that make these kinds of statements are so easily willing to accept that the M2 ESC is an EPIC FAILURE (so far) and give excuses as to why it's not 100% what they want or need. All I've seen in the M2 thread is what people are willing to "live with" or figure they can deal with the way it is working for them even tho it's not perfect.
YES, I'm trying to stir the pot, and with good intentions. NO ONE should be "settling" for the stone age electronics that NOVAK has put out in the M2 and the firmware blunders, Not to mention recommend the people make their own harness to get the Novalink to work with their computer or ESC. Are you Kidding me????? I'm supposed to hack N fab a harness to get the firmware to update from my PC to the ESC??? Grow some IQ points Novak!!!! YOU (Novak) released the M2, YOU fix it!!!!! If this were my company there would be a product recall,,,,, It's called business ethics. Too many times products are released in the R/C world and we all are just expected to bend over and be involuntary beta testers and fix the problem for them with our vast accumulated knowledge.
Instead, we need to say Hell NO, I"m not settling for your mistakes, get it right or get bent.
The FXR, B1R, Castle & Mamba series ESC's and Holmes products work like they are supposed to AND have techs that can actually fix any issue or help with product support.
If I were you gm0688, I'd think twice before you get a product that has yet to be proven it's all it's hyped up to be. Wait till it's the real deal cuz their product is stone age at the moment and will be out dated with in 6mo. at best unless they "Get it right". Or just get what's proven

Last edited by Krakker; 12-19-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Krakker, you are absolutely right. There is no way I would buy something unless it works exactly how it should. I don't see why anyone would just want to settle for something.
out4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

LOL
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
I personally can't believe all the people that make these kinds of statements are so easily willing to accept that the M2 ESC is an EPIC FAILURE (so far) and give excuses as to why it's not 100% what they want or need. All I've seen in the M2 thread is what people are willing to "live with" or figure they can deal with the way it is working for them even tho it's not perfect.
YES, I'm trying to stir the pot, and with good intentions. NO ONE should be "settling" for the stone age electronics that NOVAK has put out in the M2 and the firmware blunders, Not to mention recommend the people make their own harness to get the Novalink to work with their computer or ESC. Are you Kidding me????? I'm supposed to hack N fab a harness to get the firmware to update from my PC to the ESC??? Grow some IQ points Novak!!!! YOU (Novak) released the M2, YOU fix it!!!!! If this were my company there would be a product recall,,,,, It's called business ethics. Too many times products are released in the R/C world and we all are just expected to bend over and be involuntary beta testers and fix the problem for them with our vast accumulated knowledge.
Instead, we need to say Hell NO, I"m not settling for your mistakes, get it right or get bent.
The FXR, B1R, Castle & Mamba series ESC's and Holmes products work like they are supposed to AND have techs that can actually fix any issue or help with product support.
If I were you gm0688, I'd think twice before you get a product that has yet to be proven it's all it's hyped up to be. Wait till it's the real deal cuz their product is stone age at the moment and will be out dated with in 6mo. at best unless they "Get it right". Or just get what's proven

Thank you for reading so much into my post and not reading it at all. I don't care for the factory setting, but, it is adjustable. When the dig is cranked up, it works fine; thus, I am happy with it.

I question your "good intentions", sounds like you have an ax to grind and might have some personnal issues to work out.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you for reading so much into my post and not reading it at all. I don't care for the factory setting, but, it is adjustable. When the dig is cranked up, it works fine; thus, I am happy with it.

I question your "good intentions", sounds like you have an ax to grind and might have some personnal issues to work out.
All I've posted is facts and personal opinion. Even if it is with an "Axe", (which it's not) I'm only trying to cut through the medeocker BS, and I'd be perfectly happy IF the M2 was all it's hyped up to and "potentially" can be.
Are you sticking by Novaks product due to personal interests????
If you're trying to help them, then tell them strait, their ESC AND their firmware have got issues,,, FIX'M. I'm confident you know how it really needs to be, and even what "we all are expecting it to do". Be the voice, heck, even show'm the comments here. I honestly don't think they want bad Pub., or to waste their RnD.
I stated in that thread that I had waited plenty long for it to come out, and then to see if the bugs would get worked out. "I really did want one", but I can also tell the difference between attaining a stable product and a flop.
If it were your company, how would you rate the success in percentages of thoughs who were "M2 pro, VS. M2 NO??????
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I hate to tell you this but the crawler market is tiny, very tiny, in comparison to Novak's overall sales. And Tekin's for that matter. Actually Tekin was able to capitalize their waning FX-R sales by reinventing the ESC to the crawler market.

The rest of the RC world has gone brushless in case you haven't noticed.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I hate to tell you this but the crawler market is tiny, very tiny, in comparison to Novak's overall sales. And Tekin's for that matter. Actually Tekin was able to capitalize their waning FX-R sales by reinventing the ESC to the crawler market.

I read some more of your post Krakker. At this point the only combo I have is a "GOAT" in an LCC. MY Slash has a Castle EMAXX=castle, rc18=castle MRC=Mongoose. So I look at a combination of price and performance
Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

The crawler market is THE ONLY MARKET, how dare you suggest otherwise!!! (J/K, of course.)

Collectively we are a bunch of tight-wads, brushed is cheaper and works better for generating low RPM torque (unless you are running a LCC, which was made for brushless).

I picked up the M2 because it seemed like the simplest solution for the time and money. I had throught of going with the Tekin/Punk combo, but was warned about FXRs popping caps. Like I said, I'm happy with the M2, but if there was a cheaper/easier/reliable solution from another company, I would have done that. My loyality is to the US Navy, not Novak.

Krakker, it just seemed like you were reading a lot into my short post. I do understand your annoyance with Novak, but they are just like a lot of companies in this hobby, they push things to market before they are really ready and try fix the issues once their product is out in the wild.

gm0688, see what you have started!!!
There are some good options here, sift through them and put your money where you think it is best spent.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The crawler market is THE ONLY MARKET, how dare you suggest otherwise!!! (J/K, of course.)

Collectively we are a bunch of tight-wads, brushed is cheaper and works better for generating low RPM torque (unless you are running a LCC, which was made for brushless).

I picked up the M2 because it seemed like the simplest solution for the time and money. I had throught of going with the Tekin/Punk combo, but was warned about FXRs popping caps. Like I said, I'm happy with the M2, but if there was a cheaper/easier/reliable solution from another company, I would have done that. My loyality is to the US Navy, not Novak.

Krakker, it just seemed like you were reading a lot into my short post. I do understand your annoyance with Novak, but they are just like a lot of companies in this hobby, they push things to market before they are really ready and try fix the issues once their product is out in the wild.

gm0688, see what you have started!!!
There are some good options here, sift through them and put your money where you think it is best spent.

COOL I see you were a submariner. I was an Avionics tech fo f-14's.
Price does matter and it does seem that the Novak M2 Combo does offer the best bang for the buck. Especially if you have a DX3r or smiliar and don't wanna by a mixing radio. We are talking knew not used.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
I remember my orignal mamba micro would cog at the start so Castle fixed that. Kinda the same way the M2 is now. Alot of ppl are complaining about their LCC worms. They are coming out with HD worms. Real cars have recalls. Are all those things junk?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
RCC Addict

He must be unhappy.

I agree with you. Is it the best option out there, no but it is an option worth considering.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
He must be unhappy.

I agree with you. Is it the best option out there, no but it is an option worth considering.

Bottom line If you don't like it don't buy it. Tou might not be able to get it to work but it sounds like there are a bunch that can. I had a GTB combo that has no BEC. Its still works per the instruction sheet. Kinda like Doge vs. Ford vs. Chevy
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I would love to be writing in a complaint about the m2, but I can't seem to get it to run with my 4pks. Does anyone know where to get the secret program to run this thing? I just got the radio and the m2 and together i have a new non-running xr10. I have tried the harley set up but so far it has not worked. Suggestions welcomed.
dingo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo2010 View Post
I would love to be writing in a complaint about the m2, but I can't seem to get it to run with my 4pks. Does anyone know where to get the secret program to run this thing? I just got the radio and the m2 and together i have a new non-running xr10. I have tried the harley set up but so far it has not worked. Suggestions welcomed.
Did you calibrate the 3rd channel to the dig (like you would the throttle)? Without doing that the speedo will not act right and the dig won't work (both dig lights will likely be on).