Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Goat Crawler 2S system setup problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #1

Default Novak Goat Crawler 2S system setup problems

I just put this brushless system in my new scaler build and hooked it up to a Traxxas TQ 2.4 transmitter. I did the one-touch setup on the ESC per the instructions in the manual and reset the transmitter to it's defaults. When the ESC is on, but the transmitter is not, it just runs on at about 1/4 throttle. I understand that I should always turn the transmitter on first before the ESC, but it doesn't seem that it should run out of control when it's not on. I have about 10 other RC trucks, including another Novak brushless, and none of them run by themselves when the trans is not on. Seems this would be really bad if the trans battery died or lost range. When the transmitter is on, however, everything works fine.

I called Novak tech support and they were not very helpful. Basically said this is typical but I could send it in to be checked if I wanted to, but offered no other suggestions.

Does anyone know of a setting I need to make to neutralize the throttle when first turned on? Seems so basic, yet I can't find anything in the setup or programming instructions. I've tried everything, including setting throttle trim and epa on transmitter. Is this really normal? Thanks.
kkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

There's a deadband setting on the ESC, max it. It might not stop it but is all I know to help, other than a better (2.4g) radio. My goat glitched tons and the nuetral always shifted with AM, along with the truck running if I forgot the order, 2.4 fixed all that and more.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
There's a deadband setting on the ESC, max it. It might not stop it but is all I know to help, other than a better (2.4g) radio. My goat glitched tons and the nuetral always shifted with AM, along with the truck running if I forgot the order, 2.4 fixed all that and more.
Thanks so much for the help. I'll try the deadband adjustment. This is the latest TQ 2.4Ghz radio and it works great with my other trucks. It doesn't really feel like a glitch more so than it just defaults to about 1/4 throttle at startup and stays steady on that until I connect the transmitter. Then it's fine. I'm just worried if I lose battery or range the truck will take off.
kkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote