Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Sidewinder Foward only?!?!?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #1

Default Castle Sidewinder Foward only?!?!?!?!

I have a castle creations Sidewinder that for some reason will only go forward. Last weekend it worked just find on a brushless motor. Then I switched it over to run a brushed motor and now it will only go forward. I switched it back to brushless and hooked my motor back up to it and it is the same thing with the brushless motor. The light on the esc comes on like it should for going in reverse but nothing happens with the motor. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what I should do or try before I contact Castle about it.
draper_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
cherry bomb

how do you have it wired? black and red wires only and white unused? or red and white together, and black on its own? and did you plug in your castle link and set it to "brushed with reverse"

with brushed with reverse, you do not use the white wire at all.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You should go into your castle link and check to see if it is set to "Forward to brake to reverse" for the reverse setting. Then make sure it is set to brushed reversing for motor type.

Just don't update the firmware past v1.24. If it is the same is the same as the mamba micro pro, then anything after that has the crawler brake and it blows.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
You should go into your castle link and check to see if it is set to "Forward to brake to reverse" for the reverse setting. Then make sure it is set to brushed reversing for motor type.

Just don't update the firmware past v1.24. If it is the same is the same as the mamba micro pro, then anything after that has the crawler brake and it blows.

Listen to the man.... x2.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
cherry bomb

Quote:

FAWK! I was wondering why my dragbrake as shit lately
Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Would expand on that a little? I just picked up a sidewinder to put in a tuber. Are you saying the dragbrake sucks? I have a couple of MM's too if it is just a issue with the sidewinder. I did a couple of searches and didn't come up with anything. thanks for the help.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerrandy View Post
Would expand on that a little? I just picked up a sidewinder to put in a tuber. Are you saying the dragbrake sucks? I have a couple of MM's too if it is just a issue with the sidewinder. I did a couple of searches and didn't come up with anything. thanks for the help.

Randy
the drag brake was awesome, upgrade firmware to something past 1.24 and the dragbrake sucks. whats not to get?
I am still happy with it, but i'm happy to know why the dragbrake power is lacking now.

on topic, hope you get this figured out, we will do our best to help you, but you have to help us with some more information.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
the drag brake was awesome, upgrade firmware to something past 1.24 and the dragbrake sucks. whats not to get?
I am still happy with it, but i'm happy to know why the dragbrake power is lacking now.

on topic, hope you get this figured out, we will do our best to help you, but you have to help us with some more information.
I guess I didn't know the difference between a crawler brake and a drag brake, sorry to disturb the thread!

Randy
Old 12-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I am not sure if the firmware updates are different for each ESC. But last night I updated the firmware on my micro pros. Then set the brake to "Crawler Brake". It blew. Had like no reverse throttle. Went back to the latest update before that feature was added. Still had the 213% drag brake. V1.25 and above has that crawler brake setting. And the sh!tty part is that it doesn't give the option to use what they previously had. Which is no delay full reverse.

I pulled a sidewinder I had laying around and threw it on the link real quick. Below is a pic of the settings you need. It is v1.24. If you are all updated, just go to the software tab, highlight v1.24, then hit update. It will roll it back. Then set your settings to like below, and hit update. From there, I would reset your radio's trims to center, and make sure it is not reversed. Then once you plug it in, re-calibrate it, and go PWN on the rocks. Should be a breeze.

Damn, I know a pathetic amount about Castle stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerrandy View Post
I guess I didn't know the difference between a crawler brake and a drag brake, sorry to disturb the thread!

Randy

The crawler brake seems to be a softer reverse to brake. Not instant, and it limits the reverse to like 20-30%. Pretty gay. I want instant back. So thats why I rolled back to the latest with the 213% brake. Which happened to be v1.24.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply Chris. That is what I was looking for.

Being that I live near KC, I try to buy all castle products!

Randy
Old 12-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have great drag and instant foward reverse with the newest firmware (v1.29 i think it is), just reprogrammed three sidewinders yesterday. The latest has a crawler reverse option instead of foward-brake-reverse, works the same. On the next settings tab ((power) not there in the old version shown) reverse needs turned up from 50 to 100% after that. 213% locks up instant and strong.

On that screen shot the auto detect is set at 3.0, where do you recommend it being set? I've been using 3.4 and it seems about right.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

3v is more than enough. 3.4 is silly

As far as the updates are concerned, I just couldnt get it to get more until I went back. Perhaps I overlooked that. But it wasn't the same. And the settings above are more than enough really.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

crap i heard it was supposed to be a soft stop from forward that sux.......ill have to remember to make sure that i dont get this version of programming
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
how do you have it wired? black and red wires only and white unused? or red and white together, and black on its own? and did you plug in your castle link and set it to "brushed with reverse"

with brushed with reverse, you do not use the white wire at all.
I am only using the red and black wires. Yes I plugged in my castle link and i have it set up to brushed with reverse.

Quote:

I haven't updated it past v1.24 yet i had heard of some other people having problems with it on the Mamba Max Pro so i never messed with updating it.

I have everything set up right on the speed controller and i re calibrated it. to my radio. I also set all of my trims to zero and my endpoints up before I calibrated it but still no reverse thanks for trying guys. I guess I am going to have to call Castle up and see about sending it in before our winter comps start up.
draper_88 is offline   Reply With Quote