Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle esc forward to reverse question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Castle esc forward to reverse question

I recently switched to a new radio system, I run a Castle MMP and like being able to go from forward to reverse without having to double tap the trigger. When I was still using the stock axial radio I was able to do this, now I can't. I have calibrated the new radio to the esc, checked trim and end points. Is there something I'm missing? I haven't looked into the dead band adjustments in the castle link software, I'm thinking it related to the new radio since it worked before the switch. I'm using a Flysky GT-3 2.4g system, thanks for the help.
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

have you tried to reprogram the esc...
needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Holmes Hobbies

Castle Creations ESC tip thread(brushed)

If that don't help.PM Chris,He's the castle guy
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteme View Post
have you tried to reprogram the esc...
Indeed, I went thru the program using my castle link. Everything is set the way it was with my previous radio. The only change I made was reducing the brake strength to 0% as well as turning off the drag brake, for testing purposes I like to reduce those two things to keep from shocking the drivetrain. 3s lipo at full throttle combined with full drag brake= broken yokes and twisted driveshafts. I'll put the program back to the way it was and see what happens.

It seems its not really a need to double tap, but more of a delay before reversing. If I go full forward then pause at neutral for a second or two then go reverse it seems to work. I'll look over the program again and report back.

On a side note, this is the second time my rig has taken an unintentional dip in my koi pond, I know better than to play on the rocks around it, but I just finished my new chassis and wanted to test it. Dried everything off, had a couple stiff drinks to calm down.....everything still works like a champ! Side note***** the issue with reverse was present PRIOR to the dive session. I'm a Castle fan for sure now.

Last edited by day215; 12-26-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ah ha! A little reading does wonders. Castles description of forward to brake to reverse states the motor must see zero rpm before reverse engages. Thinking that my 213% drag brake setting was basically stopping the motor dead as i was going from forward to reverse, I turned the drag brake back on. The brake being turned back on didn't fix the issue, I could tell you why as it was how it was set up before. I updated the castle link firmware as well as the esc firmware, there is a new brake option labled " Crawler reverse", it eliminates the need for the 2 sec pause. Viola problem solved! Thanks for the suggestions on the issue, much appreciated.