Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need a better battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

Default Need a better battery

Just new to the crawlers...
my 7yr old son got a 1/8 New bright Jeep rock crawler for Christmas. I know I know its cheap and barely gets the job done, but its a good place to start to see if he is even interested in RC crawlers. Then mod it a bit later on.

My problem is the Battery life is really bad. Its running the standard 9.6v nimh 600mah that came with it, and lasts only about 10 minutesm 5 in the snow. I also have a 9.6v nicd 800mah from a Tonka Ricochet. the 800mah battery lasts a bit longer and seems more powerful.

I would like to buy a new battery 9.6v 2000mah or better but I need a reputable place to buy them from. I really dont want to buy a crap battery that wont last. I notice radio shack has one but are they any good?

OR is there a better battery that I could run in this?
should I run NiMH or nicd?
what about lipo batteries?
I would not think these cheap RC cars could handle more power?
Any help or recommendations is greatly appriciated
HardlyDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Radio Shack sells a 3300mAh pack for like 30 bucks.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Check out www.cheapbatterypacks.com They have about any battery that you want and can set you up with a custom pack too if needed. Their prices are hard to beat too!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Not sure if lipos will fit your setup but I did receive this e-mail from hobbyking;

HOMEAccountArrivalsSupportContactAbout UsHobby BlogHurry, this price wont last long!
We're clearing stock to make way for more 2011 items and the first item to go on sale this year is the Zippy 2200mAh 3S 20C at just $6.99! Including XT60 connector and balance plug!

Zippy Flightmax batteries deliver full capacity & discharge as well as being the best value batteries in the hobby market today!

Spec.
Capacity: 2200mAh
Voltage: 3S1P / 3 Cell / 11.1v
Discharge: 20C Constant / 25-30C Burst
Weight: 180g (including wire, plug & shrink wrap)
Dimensions: 102x37x24mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge wire: 8cm high strand count soft silicon wire. 12AWG
Discharge plug: XT60

Product on sale for 6hrs only.

This email was sent to Ricky.
If you don't want to receive anymore NewsFlash emails, please log into your account at hobbyking.com to uncheck the email box.
International Phone Support: +86 75582157051 9AM-6PM Mon-Sat
Should you have an issue with any of our products or service,
please send an email to cs@hobbyking.com voicing your concern.To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list. Log in to your account at HobbyKing.com to remove or update your email preferences.
Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails at HobbyKing.com!
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would stick with NiMH unless you can put a lipo cutoff in the rig.

Last edited by greencrawler; 01-11-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: i cant spell lol
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #6

I saw that one however at this time im looking for one that will fit in the battery tray under the truck,
the battery dimentions are 4" x 2.25" X 1/2"
the Dantona 9.6v 2000mah was the only one this size.

Is radioshack really the brand of battery that RC owners prefer?

I also have a question about a peak charger... can anyone lend a hand on an entry level peak charger for the nimh battery packs...
Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Radio Shack batteries are nothing special. You said you wanted cheep till you know if he likes it or not plus almost everyone has a Radio Shack in there area and the batt will come with the same connector as the one you've got now, makeing this as convenient, RTR and cheep as possable.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Check out www.cheapbatterypacks.com They have about any battery that you want and can set you up with a custom pack too if needed. Their prices are hard to beat too!
checked them out, not the size I need and no options for custome made either... bummer.

thanks for the help people.
but just to be clear....Im not looking for a cheap battery, he has other RC cars that use the same size 9.6v battery, so im willing to spend the cash to buy a decent battery, heck even a great battery with longer run time. Afterall RC cars are like an electronic babaysitter lol. It gets him outside and out from under my feet.
I have looked on ebay and they have tons but I dont want just any battery I was hoping to get a few ideas on quality brands. Im totally new to RC cars and have no idea about what brands are good and what ones to avoid.

I wanted a cheap crawler for him because lets face it young kids like shit that goes stupid fast... so far he seems to like plowing through the snow with his 4x4 but the batteries just dont last at all in it. I myself plan on buying a Redcat in the very near future. but for now I would like him to be able to use his Jeep for more then 15 minutes (using up 2 battery packs), then wait for 4-6 hours.

these are the ones on ebay I was looking at but dont wat to buy them if they are cheap junk
http://cgi.ebay.ca/9-6V-2000mAh-NiMH...item4cf44df774

Last edited by HardlyDangerous; 01-11-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Go on line to Hobby king and get a couple of Turnigy 3S Lipo 1300 mAh 25C/ 50 C bust nano packs. You will need to select a lipo cut off in your ESC so you don't over discharge them. Turnigy also makes a nice Acucell 6 Battery charger , You'll need to get a power supply for that but after your done you will have little money in it for the bang for the buck you get back. Make sure your ESC and motor can handle 3S lipos. Run time will be up over 1/2 hour running these packs with a brushless motor system.If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Glad to help........
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/C Hunter View Post
Go on line to Hobby king and get a couple of Turnigy 3S Lipo 1300 mAh 25C/ 50 C bust nano packs. You will need to select a lipo cut off in your ESC so you don't over discharge them. Turnigy also makes a nice Acucell 6 Battery charger , You'll need to get a power supply for that but after your done you will have little money in it for the bang for the buck you get back. Make sure your ESC and motor can handle 3S lipos. Run time will be up over 1/2 hour running these packs with a brushless motor system.If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Glad to help........
the new bright it a toy rc that doesnt have lipo cutoff and likely wont handle 3s lipo or will barely. that daytona 2000 may be one of the few out that will fit the stock location and work on it without any mods
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote