Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: would this work for trim on a 3pl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default would this work for trim on a 3pl

im in the process of adding a 3 pos switch with trim to my 3rd channel on my 3pl and was wondering if this pot/trimmer would work for the center trim?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...01#tabsetBasic

thanks for any help
luke-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I think it would be fine.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Got Worms?

I haven't played with a 3pl at all. But if the 3rd ch operates how i think it does a pot will work to trim it. But out of my personal experinces you dont want to use that pot. For two reasons, its meant to be mounted to a circuit board, so there is NO way of mounting it to your radio housing, next reason is (which may be not accurate in this case) from what i have noticed a 100k pot will be more ideal to trim a channel. There are also a number of ways to trim a ch, the easiest would to be simply connect the pot the same you hook up the switch, but once again there is a number of ways. But doing it the way i said earlier should elimentate the need for resistors between the poles on a switch, but its been awhile since i tried to do it this way. (doesnt the 3pl have a digital trim????)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I haven't played with a 3pl at all. But if the 3rd ch operates how i think it does a pot will work to trim it. But out of my personal experinces you dont want to use that pot. For two reasons, its meant to be mounted to a circuit board, so there is NO way of mounting it to your radio housing, next reason is (which may be not accurate in this case) from what i have noticed a 100k pot will be more ideal to trim a channel. There are also a number of ways to trim a ch, the easiest would to be simply connect the pot the same you hook up the switch, but once again there is a number of ways. But doing it the way i said earlier should elimentate the need for resistors between the poles on a switch, but its been awhile since i tried to do it this way. (doesnt the 3pl have a digital trim????)
okay thanks for the info. it has digital trim on channels 1,2 and 4,

i will keep looking for a different trim than
Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Got Worms?

iF YOUR BUYING LOCALLY

10K POT
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_u17mv39ITYU/TQ...4/102_2344.JPG

100K POT
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062287

(oops, caps)
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

have you used those ones before cause the 100k got pretty bad reviews but im not sure if what they are using it for applies to this or not. any others you guys use im not to worried about buying locally
Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I think if you are doing this for a one-time setup of the center position trim which will remain inside the grip, then the one in luke-o's first post should be fine. If you want to make it an external adjustment with a knob, then something like losikid suggested will be fine. The end points adjustments will still be digital.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

i will have to be adjusting it from time to time but i have an old radio im gonna try to use the trim knob and pot from that when i get a chance to take it apart to see if it will work. and would i just solder the wires from the trim pot to the terminals on the switch in the same order i wire the wires from the board to the switch?