Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: motor improvement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default motor improvement

might be a really dumb question... but.....

is there a way to improve power output of a motor.... lets just say a stock LNC motor....is there modifications you can do to improve power and torque of a motor, with little to no cost involved????

Flame suit on
mudn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Other than breaking it in by water dipping with toothpaste there isn't too much you can do.

Just for clarification, this stock motor is a sealed can (closed brushes). Use it up and toss it out, by another one for $15-20.

The best improvement is to replace it with a good 35T crawler motor like either the Tekin, Integy, Novak or Venom.

Last edited by AreCee; 02-04-2011 at 01:10 PM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Water dipping isn't needed.....Wtf are you using toothpaste for? The bushings? That's an old wives tale that doesn't work. The bushing are pourous, you will never get that crap out of them either.....after winning 20+ national titles in stock classes, I can tell you, we NEVER polished a bushing in one.....

There is not much you can do to make it faster for free or even spending money on it. You could crank the comm but that's not something for a novice motor guy to be trying....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You are past breaking it in......at this point, not much will make it any faster.....

Later EddieO
Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Water dipping isn't needed.....Wtf are you using toothpaste for? The bushings? That's an old wives tale that doesn't work. The bushing are pourous, you will never get that crap out of them either.....after winning 20+ national titles in stock classes, I can tell you, we NEVER polished a bushing in one.....

There is not much you can do to make it faster for free or even spending money on it. You could crank the comm but that's not something for a novice motor guy to be trying....

Later EddieO

LOL.... how is that done, even if I wanted to try it with thoughts if it messes up, it messes up...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Cranking a comm is different for most motors.....but in general, you want to hold either the comm or the arm itself, and rotate the other to advance the timing....comms are usually set around zero, so you can put 15-20 degrees in them pretty easy with just a slight cheat....

And yes, I know how to do this because back in the day, when some people were still figuring out what a motor lamination was, this was LEGAL to do on stock motors before they locked timing at 24 degrees.

Later EddieO
Old 02-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Cranking a comm is different for most motors.....but in general, you want to hold either the comm or the arm itself, and rotate the other to advance the timing....comms are usually set around zero, so you can put 15-20 degrees in them pretty easy with just a slight cheat....

And yes, I know how to do this because back in the day, when some people were still figuring out what a motor lamination was, this was LEGAL to do on stock motors before they locked timing at 24 degrees.

Later EddieO
is this doable on a stock losi motor? or should I just leave it alone....
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:

Later EddieO
Nice attitude, thanks for your very kind sentiments.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Nice attitude, thanks for your very kind sentiments.
Hey don't knock on EddieO till you try one of his motors. I got 3 yesterday and all i can say is that its a work of art. Havent ran it yeat but i will once i get my speed controller
Onebdgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebdgti View Post
Hey don't knock on EddieO till you try one of his motors. I got 3 yesterday and all i can say is that its a work of art. Havent ran it yeat but i will once i get my speed controller
NFW, I wouldn't want anything he touches with that adolescent attitude. There are plenty of good motors and tuners out there. He's too full of himself, I'll stick with people like Deiter.

Last edited by AreCee; 02-04-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

who cares, quit trashing up my thread.....take it up in PM's
Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I guess we can call it whatever type of attitude you want....but the simple fact is you are giving very bad advice to someone......water dipping a used sealed can motor? Using toothpaste?

Water dipping is not for the novice.....if done wrong, you destroy the motor.....

Make sure you say hi to Jim for me, and ask him if he uses Toothpaste on a bushing.....let alone using water break in....

Mudn1, to go faster at this point, you will need to replace the motor. Even if I could describe to you how to crank the comm, you would more than likely toast the motor your first time trying it. Its not a simple process. Maybe ask around the local track, see if you can find a used 27t Stock race motor. Those are rebuildable and will be a good amount faster than the stock losi. I would imagine you could find a used one for $5, though you may find a nice racer who just gives you one.....they are obsolete in racing now.....work perfect for bashing.

Later EddieO

Last edited by EddieO; 02-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I guess we can call it whatever type of attitude you want....but the simple fact is you are giving very bad advice to someone......water dipping a used sealed can motor? Using toothpaste?

Water dipping is not for the novice.....if done wrong, you destroy the motor.....

Make sure you say hi to Jim for me, and ask him if he uses Toothpaste on a bushing.....let alone using water break in....

Mudn1, to go faster at this point, you will need to replace the motor. Even if I could describe to you how to crank the comm, you would more than likely toast the motor your first time trying it. Its not a simple process. Maybe ask around the local track, see if you can find a used 27t Stock race motor. Those are rebuildable and will be a good amount faster than the stock losi. I would imagine you could find a used one for $5, though you may find a nice racer who just gives you one.....they are obsolete in racing now.....work perfect for bashing.

Later EddieO
thanks, but honestly this isnt a bash rig, its currently my sportsman truck, but will become a pro rig... just wanting to learn about motors.... I do have a spare that is a green can, but not sure who it is or what it is, but it has no balls.... I will post a pic asap
Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The Sealed Can stuff in all honesty is junk. It's just not worth the time. You are better off with a machine wound integy lathe motor for $20, as at least with those, you can adjust the timing, cut the comm, replace brushes, etc....sealed can basically allows none of this really in a normal scope (me being cocky here, I am sure I could hack the shit out of it and make it faster.....but were talking something that maybe 2-3 people on this board know and understand how to do)....

If its your comp rig and not a basher, sounds like its time to pony up for a better motor.

Green can motor is probably a trinity green machine stock, which would be a pretty decent upgrade from the sealed can. You won't be able to adjust timing still, but at least its got timing in it (24 degrees) and you can rebuild it.....

Later EddieO
Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The Sealed Can stuff in all honesty is junk. It's just not worth the time. You are better off with a machine wound integy lathe motor for $20, as at least with those, you can adjust the timing, cut the comm, replace brushes, etc....sealed can basically allows none of this really in a normal scope (me being cocky here, I am sure I could hack the shit out of it and make it faster.....but were talking something that maybe 2-3 people on this board know and understand how to do)....

If its your comp rig and not a basher, sounds like its time to pony up for a better motor.

Green can motor is probably a trinity green machine stock, which would be a pretty decent upgrade from the sealed can. You won't be able to adjust timing still, but at least its got timing in it (24 degrees) and you can rebuild it.....

Later EddieO
I'll try to get a pic up of that motor, but honestly I am just trying to get all I can out of this rig for as little of money as possible (college budget).... I hooked that motor up to the slash with a 3s lipo and it was a dog, so I leary about putting it on this rig
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

On a cheap budget honestly integy makes a decent rebuild-able motor and they are $20 brand new. You can get new brushes for them and have someone with a lathe turn the comm when needed if you are really that tight on budget. But $20 for a brand new motor isnt bad, and as someone stated above they are decent motors.

On a side note, the water break in is old old school, i havent done it or seen it done since sometime in the 90's and you cant just hook it up and hit full throttle. The idea behind it since you were asking was that it makes for a clean contact point when breaking the brushes into the exact shape of the comm. It keeps debris out of the contact surface and helps the brushes seat better. If you search around enough im sure there is an old article on that and the a fore mentioned motor timing and the how to of both on either here or rccaraction.
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

here is the crappy little green can I got, would this be an improvement over the stock losi motor????

Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I do believe that's one of the original speed gems line. Not sure what wind it is though. I remember the light blue one was called the saphire and was a 17x1. I'll see if I can dig up an old RCCA and find an ad for them...

EDIT: Have you looked at the comm? I'm pretty sure those actually had the arm marked with the wind.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
I do believe that's one of the original speed gems line. Not sure what wind it is though. I remember the light blue one was called the saphire and was a 17x1. I'll see if I can dig up an old RCCA and find an ad for them...
are they any count?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

It could be a speed gems emerald, or a Green Machine 1 or 2, been so long since I looked at either....they all looked pretty similar....if the timing is adjustable, then its a speed gems....I believe they were like a 15 or 16 turn triple or quad.......if it has a timing tab, which is a notch in the can to lock the endbell from being rotated any way, then its a GM1/2....also any sign of ROAR 91 or what means its a GM 1/2...

The GM will be faster once rebuilt and such.....if its a Speed Gem, it will blow the Axial motor out of the water....

Later EddieO