Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ideal radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #1

Wink Ideal radio

Let’s get one thing straight. I love crawling, or is that modding my crawler, or maybe both, but anyway I love my many crawlers individually for each of their strengths and weaknesses. Without their weaknesses I would have no need to modify, test, and adjust anything, thus I’d be extremely bored.

I have however never been able to find that perfect radio and use a modified Traxxas 2.4 for one simple reason, the price of their RXs. I would love the programming and mixing functionality of the higher priced radios, and I have no problem paying for that functionality, but I do have a problem paying anything more than $40 per receiver for any of my 15 r/c cars, or continue to do so every time I purchase a new one (yes, I like using one Tx for all my crawlers. I get used to it, and it becomes an extension of myself).

Radio manufacturers keep making awesome radios for fantastic prices, but the price of their RXs remain unrealistically high (or so it seems to me as a consumer anyway), which in turn keeps me from converting.

Please, if a reputable radio manufacturer reads this, give us a functional 4 channel 2.4ghz radio that’s more expensive than the competition for the same functionality, but is designed to accommodate channel mixing for both channel 1 & 2 so I may do 4WS if I want and engage either full rear brakes or rear freewheel from my radio, and still offer receivers at under $40.

I don’t want to turn on a dime at 60 Mph on my crawler, and as such I don’t want to pay for the research and development for even faster radios or radios with a mile reception.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

It sounds like a Futaba 4pl is what you are looking for. Receivers are only 50 dollars which is a little bit more than your ideal price.
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Got Worms?

So something like this, with $10 rx's

I got a pm headed your way
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
20K Club

For an actual quality radio the 4PL is better bang for the buck than anything out there. They have great support and unmatched quality. It has all the features you need almost any ground based RC car.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
So something like this, with $10 rx's

I got a pm headed your way
You expect somebody to run 15 different RC's on something that doesn't have multiple model memory for EPA's?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
RCC Addict

My Futaba radio has made me a converter of their products.
The 4pl is phenomenal deal w/ the 50$ 4channel recievers.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
You expect somebody to run 15 different RC's on something that doesn't have multiple model memory for EPA's?
It does have multi model memory and epa's
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #8

Default Thanks!

Great, thanks everyone. After spending the last few hours doing a ton of research (no, I'm not raving about insurance ) I just ordered a 4PL!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Great, thanks everyone. After spending the last few hours doing a ton of research (no, I'm not raving about insurance ) I just ordered a 4PL!
Check out the 4PL thread I have started. If you need ANY help with the radio feel free to post in there and I will get you taken care of.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #10

Thanks Harley! Now this is what I was begging for.

Got my #B010, took quite some time to set up with the old software. Your thread helped a lot (after I couldn't figure out the set-up video with my software version). With SA customs being as slow and brain dead as they are sending it in for a software upgrade is not an option (I will probably end up paying import duties twice if I did). It's an awesome radio as is though. With the mixing-ability I'm able to climb gradients I never previously thought possible.

Not needing a Novak electronic dig means I actually save money from my previous Traxxas radio set-up.

Just a quick question: Tower is out of S-FHSS rxs. Can I set up further models using a FHSS setup while leaving model 1 as S-FHSS?

Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
20K Club

Glad it is working for you! Yes you can mix and match models and RX types and the radio will remember the settings. Just cycle the power off and on after you switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Thanks Harley! Now this is what I was begging for.

Got my #B010, took quite some time to set up with the old software. Your thread helped a lot (after I couldn't figure out the set-up video with my software version). With SA customs being as slow and brain dead as they are sending it in for a software upgrade is not an option (I will probably end up paying import duties twice if I did). It's an awesome radio as is though. With the mixing-ability I'm able to climb gradients I never previously thought possible.

Not needing a Novak electronic dig means I actually save money from my previous Traxxas radio set-up.

Just a quick question: Tower is out of S-FHSS rxs. Can I set up further models using a FHSS setup while leaving model 1 as S-FHSS?

Thanks again!