Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sand Scorcher 2010 speed control/battery question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Sand Scorcher 2010 speed control/battery question

OK, so I had to have one of these! I ordered from RPP Hobby, who's service does indeed ROCK!

It was a great build, but I am not sure what to do for a battery.

I asked about this on a Tamiya run web site, and I my question was not really answered, it was kind of re-directed. I could run an old NiMH but it wont fit in the electronics case.

I am not in any way an electronics guru, so I am not sure what to do. The kit and instructions call for a LF battery LF 1100-6.6v Racing pack (M-size). This battery does not seem to be available for sale in the US. Even the Tamiya web site does not seem to have it for sale. The kit also came with a speed control that claims to have a low voltage cut off for use with this battery (The speed control is a TEU-104BK). I cant find what the low cut off voltage is set at in the distructions though? It does explain how to turn the low voltage cut off off though. So I have two questions:

1) Can I use a 2S lipo I have with this speed control or will it over dis-charge and puff the lipo? Tower hobbies seems to push a 2S lipo with the kit? I dont want to ruin a battery and maybe burn up my new SS. (The 2S id like to use is a Tenergy 2100 mAh 30C)

2) Can I use my Venom Pro Charger to charge this LF battery if I bought one from somewhere? DO I charge it as a Lipo? Wont that overcharge it if its only supposed to have 6.6V?

Thanks!
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i think you will need a li fe specific charger.
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

Hey there.. I too am in the same situation.. sorta... i have a 11.1v 1100Mah lipo 3c I use for my XR10 rock crawler and was wondering if I can use this in my scorcher as well? Did you ever get an answer as to what the voltage cut-off was on the supplied ESC or a maximun voltage input?.. i would really like to put my lipo into this ESC if it can handle it..
ms7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I had a battery made from the here http://cheapbatterypacks.com/?menu=4...56&sid=822321y. You need the 6 cell 7.2 volt flat hump pack, I paid $22.50 for a pack with 3300 batteries, 14awg wire and Deans plug..
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have a holiday buggy which uses the same esc. I used 2s lipo but with an external cutoff. can't remember what the tamiya esc cuts out at though and am not sure its ok for lipo cut off
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote