Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: nimh pack full charge voltage difference....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Default nimh pack full charge voltage difference....

I've noticed that when charging one of my 7.2v stick packs at a 5A rate my final charged voltage is roughly 9.2v give or take. But when charging my new stick pack at a c/10 rate of 0.5A for 10 or 12 hours the final charge voltage is only around 8.1v or so.

Is this normal and simply the difference in trickle charging and quick charging? If so I suppose that explains why people quick charge for that extra punch at the beginning.
noremacyug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremacyug View Post
Is this normal and simply the difference in trickle charging and quick charging? If so I suppose that explains why people quick charge for that extra punch at the beginning.
You just answered your own question

But hammering the battery at 5A shortens it's overall life.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #3

Ok, good deal. Just wanted to double check and make sure my battery pack wasn't defective. How much will high amp charging actually shorten the life span.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

That really depends on the quality of the cells. But it can be a crap shoot too. I've had $$$ matched-cell packs go poof and I had some raggedy 3700s that were very reliable. But I'd say you can actually cut it's life expectancy in half with regular high amp charging. For crawling, the higher voltage isn't really a huge advantage; certainly not worth wearing out a battery pre-maturely.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Mainly depends on how hot the battery is getting at the end of the 5 amp charge. If you can hold the battery in you hand semi comfortably, it's fine. If the battery is too hot to hold in your hand, the charge rate it too high and it's not good for the battery.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #6

Il have to double check next time I charge it. But pretty sure I could put a death grip on my 3300mah stick and it not be uncomfortable at all. Only mildly warm. Before I bought my current charger, I was completely ignorant about proper charging and was using a radioshack quick charger. After flipping it over due to curiosity I see that it was dumping 8.0A into my 3300mah stick.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremacyug View Post
........ But pretty sure I could put a death grip on my 3300mah stick and it not be uncomfortable at all. Only mildly warm. .........
That's perfect.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
That's perfect.
+1.

For pan cars, we would charge at a mid-rate to get the packs charged. Just before a race, we would top them off at a higher rate to get the packs warm. A warm pack (NiCD/NiMH/LiPO) discharges BETTER when warm. This was a typical racing trick.

No real need to charge at a high rate to get the pack fairly full.

For crawlers, getting the pack warm just before use is a good idea if outside & it's cold.

BTW, when the cells get too warm, they vent the magic stuff inside. Everytime they do that, they lose a bit of life & capacity. Venting a pack is bad for them.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

my 1500 elites 2/3 batts i charge at 1A every time when i get home....if i needed a battery charged at a comp/GTG i charged my first used batt at 1A while i was there....i always have at least 4 batteries with me at all times and boost charge them at a comp at 1A as well.........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote