Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Durability of Castle Sidewinder ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Durability of Castle Sidewinder ESC?

Alright so I ordered a Castle Sidewinder V2 ESC (still havent gotten it in though) and I'm just curious as to how durable these things are. I'm sort of "new" to electric (used to be a HPI Savage guy) and was curious as to how much water is tolerable for the ESC. I don't plan on submerging this ESC, but it's going to be pretty muddy when we go out. Should I worry about mud/watery mud splashing onto the ESC/reciever and shorting things out? If I should, what's the easiest way to water proof/resist the electronics (I don't want to plastic dip anything). Thanks for the info!
xxCARLSONxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxCARLSONxx View Post
If I should, what's the easiest way to water proof/resist the electronics (I don't want to plastic dip anything). Thanks for the info!
I would say short of using plastidip you're best bet would be the Radio Shack project boxes. I don't know what rig you're running but I've seen quite a few SCX10s with project boxes mounted on top of the sliders.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well I'm currently running a Tamiya CC01. I think those boxes might work on top of the electronics mount. We don't have a Radio Shack up here anymore, it's now a Circuit City so I'll check in there.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
RCC Addict

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...t%20boxes&sr=1
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You might want to check out, digikey, mouser, and jameco for project boxes. They will have a much larger selection and ship to Canada. I'd avoid radio shack like the plague if I were you.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #6

is plasti dip ok to use on the sidewinder? does it create overheating? and where can you get it?
TJ36s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

autoparts store is where I have seen it. Over heat?? not sure, what battery would you be using, motor??? heavy finger???
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Is this for scale use or how are you using it? I am running a sidewinder in my scaler. I just used the electronics box from the scx10. I then bought a traxxas waterproof receiver box. I run the esc and the bec in the scx10 box and the receiver in the traxxas box. I seems to do well for me and they are compact. The only reason I did this is because I tried the project boxes and they seemed to be a bit big for my liking. Either way is good.

By the way, I do't run mine in a ton of water so it seems to work for my application.

Hope this helps.

Dan
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ36s View Post
is plasti dip ok to use on the sidewinder? does it create overheating? and where can you get it?
I've had good luck with a balloon and a zip ty. A little grease around the end for good measure. It's ghetto, but no one's lookin and it's cheap. But I've heard great things about those Traxxas reciever boxes.Also duct tape in inconspicuous places to deflect splashback.
lone wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
Jer
Rock Crawler

I took my sidewinder electronics out of the case and covered both sides of the board with a couple coats of liquid electrical tape ( about $7 at home depot in the electrical aisle), but make sure you don't cover the heat sink, just the base of it. Let it dry and put it back in the case. It has worked great so far, I haven't submurged it but I have driven through some really deep puddles. I just use the stock SCX10 radio box for the radio and it seems to keep a good deal of water out although I have seen some in the box so I may coat the radio as well.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I also covered my circuit board in a liquid tape, but used a spray on. I taped the heat sinks up. The circuit board had a thin enough coat to slip back into the plastic case. I have submerged mine with no problems.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

spray on liquid tape? never heard of it...will have to do some searching. Ive thought of using dielectric grease, you can take it off if needed.

I also use the getto balloon, like my mamma always said, protect what makes you tick with rubber.................
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I couldn't find any of those project boxes (and I don't like plastic dip or sprays) so I went out to walmart and picked up some 2x1.5x1.5 air tight plastic containers and I'm going to try those out.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
spray on liquid tape? never heard of it...will have to do some searching. Ive thought of using dielectric grease, you can take it off if needed.

I also use the getto balloon, like my mamma always said, protect what makes you tick with rubber.................
They sell it at my local Walmart. I have sprayed almost all my electronics. I even sprayed my Punk Dig. I wasmore worried about touching a metal brace than getting it wet.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote