Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: charger mod help !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default charger mod help !!!

hey guys i have a losi micro rock crawler, now the battery charger it comes with puts out 12v 500mah for a 4.8v 180mah micro t battery.

i have a spare mini-t wall charger(non peak) and i wanna put the curcuit bourd from the charger onto the wall charger output wires, effectivly saving a butt load of money on batteries and replacing it with a peak wall charger for the micro battery.

the wall charger is 9v 500mah...

will it be possible to get this to work or is 9v too low of a voltage compared to the stock battery chargers 12v (8 x AA) keep in mind the mah are exactly the same.

any help is greatly appreciated.
lordjasper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Ummm....can it work? Likely, with some mods to a lot of the boards. If you understand circuits, you can do it.
Better would be to build your own peak charger, if you knew how.

Best bet is to spend a bit (maybe split the cost with a friend) and get a decent charger.

The mah is not what determines the peak charger, it's the voltage it is designed to reach. The finish voltage for a 1S 500mah pack is MUCH different than the finish voltage for a 4S 500mah pack. Actually, it's 4 times the voltage.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

sorry guys i neglected to mention im using nimh im trying to stay away from lipo lol.
lordjasper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Do yourself a huge favor and get a proper charger, it's well worth the investment and they can be had for relatively cheap. For example the Accucel 6 from hobbyking is only 22.99 USD + shipping:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028

You will need a power supply though but if you put in a little work you can convert a PC power supply for suitable use. However since are only charging 180mah batteries right now you could get away with a wallwort style that can put out 12V @ around 2amps. If you choose to order from hobbyking grab some lipo's as well and ditch those NiMH packs.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I cut up the stock charger and fit it into the radio base where the batts normally go.Tap a line to feed the radio with just the 4 cells it needs for power and run your charge line plug external.I even cut a hole and added the little light to show charge status in the radio base. Now I can charge thru my radio and not need to carry all the extra junk.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote