RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Re-purposing my Tekin RS (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/318100-re-purposing-my-tekin-rs.html)

ev0l 05-23-2011 02:05 PM

Re-purposing my Tekin RS

I was just wondering if anyone had done this or might see an issue with what I want to try. I have searched and searched and cant find an instance of anyone doing this.

I am building an XR10 and have already purchased a Punk Dig. I was going to purchase a Tekin FXR when it occurred to me that I have a Tekin RS already laying around. I know they will do brushed motors (I already have a hot wire) Will it push two 35t brushed motors through a punk dig ok? I know it says it has a 10 turn brushed limit when using forward/reverse function but I wasn't sure how much more load the other motor would put on it. Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance

-Aaron

muddawg 05-23-2011 02:37 PM

i don't know about the punk dig but when you run 2 motors in parallel they draw the same current as one motor with half the winds so two 35turn motors would draw the same as 1 with about 17.5turns hope this helps "thumbsup"

Sneed 05-23-2011 02:40 PM

I've tried running a brushed motor w/ my Rs Pro. I had issue's, one of them was no instant reverse. I contacted Tekin about it, they have been working on a Hotwire fix for it

EddieO 05-23-2011 05:44 PM

This isn't correct..........in most cases you are safe, but its a good way to fry a speed control. 35t motors produce about 90 watts each or so on turbodyno......a 17t will produce about 195....so your safe, however.......a good 19t handwound makes 170+........so, I should be able to run 2 if a speed control is 9t capable right? Hardly......most 9t motors will produce around 300 watts.....your speed controls will go boom....my advice, always email and ask....

A RS is a very capable speed control. It will work fine in your crawler, as it has no power handling limits that I am aware of. The only reason we don't see any RS or RS pros really in crawling is cost and size..........they are HUGE compared to a FXR....but the cost is the big one. I put my RS Pros in my crawler, they worked well, but the weight and size made them impractical so I swapped them out for my fxrs.

Later EddieO

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddawg (Post 3106433)
i don't know about the punk dig but when you run 2 motors in parallel they draw the same current as one motor with half the winds so two 35turn motors would draw the same as 1 with about 17.5turns hope this helps "thumbsup"

Randy P 05-23-2011 08:01 PM

It "can" be done but honestly the FXR or FXR Pro is the right esc for the job.

ev0l 05-24-2011 09:21 AM

Well, having already forked out a small fortune on this crawler I'm going to give it a go with the RS since I already have it and it's not being used. If it doesn't work I'll cough up I guess. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

-Aaron

Harley 05-24-2011 11:25 AM

The RS will be good, if not overkill. The FXR's are just use because they are cheaper mostly like Eddie said.

4xFord 05-25-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneed (Post 3106441)
I've tried running a brushed motor w/ my Rs Pro. I had issue's, one of them was no instant reverse. I contacted Tekin about it, they have been working on a Hotwire fix for it

I had the same issue running brushed through an RS.

ev0l 06-07-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xFord (Post 3111143)
I had the same issue running brushed through an RS.

My RS has been working like a champ. Instant on reverse is working like a charm. Even on old firmware.