Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New cheap 3ch. 2.4 gig radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New cheap 3ch. 2.4 gig radio

Just saw this on hobbpartz this morning http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html . Could be a sweet crawler radio, I have the 2ch. wish this was one when I bought that one. The description does't say much about the third channel. Anyone seen this rebranded?
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well... they make the radios for all other brands, like hobby king andothers.
Here, where i live, this brand is very popular. The quality meets the price perfectly, add the experience of fs in making radios - this is it.
I've ordered one for mtself and my friend also.
The only con it is not spectrum that i like so much
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I picked up the GT-3 from nitrorcx.com for 43.57 shipped, and it came from so.Cal. I'm not sure what the difference is between the GT-3 and the GT-3B, my 3rd channel is on and off only, but I'm sure you could mod it to work differently. For the price, it can't be beat, EPA adjustments/expo/etc. Tons of features for the price and it got great reviews. The rx is just plain tiny, a little bigger than a quarter.
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #4

I was wondering how long it would take for a 3 channel. I have the fly sky gt2 that i got from hobby king when they first when on sale, still going strong today!
six6six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Yea flysky is a ok brand, but no quality control. I use flysky air radios on the 4 pistol conversions i have done and 2 of them had little things that wern't a huge problem but could have caused long term problems, one had a real stiff switch and the other had some bad solder joints on the rf module. Anyways i have been trying to get more info about the gt3b which i have not found out how the 3rd ch works, cheapst i ever found one was 60 bucks so now that they are 35 i may have to pick one up and tear it apart. See what there is to work with
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default mod 3rd channel switch?

Has anyone modded the 3rd channel to three pos. yet? Whats the probabilty that there are 3 wires to this switch?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Got Worms?

Well not sure on how many wires is off of it, and i'm unsure if it can be modded, I have been looking at the internal photos on fcc seeing if i can trace circuits for ch 3 but the circuits jump sides so much i've been having a hard time, and i'm unsure exactly what circuit is going to ch 3, i just see a label for ch 3 but unlike the other ch's there isn't a plug on ch 3. So i will probably end up buying one of these once i have the extra cash and see what i can do, possibly a new firmware (unlock mixs with proportional control, extra ch's, possibly more models) but i don't even know thats possible because flysky withheld the circuit diagrams for public inspection. And the screen looks like a real complicator as well in a new firmware as it is like a calculator screen, not a bunch of little pixels.

and if anyones wondering there is not a 3 pos 3rd channel, its only 2.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

There's a thread on here about the GT-3, a few guys have already opened it up to see how it works. The 3rd channel is a two wire switch, I'm not an electrical guru, so what that means as far as making it a 3 posistion switch is out of my understanding. I bought this radio as an upgrade to the axial am radio, I'm sure there is huge potential, especially for the price. Its not the most expensive radio or the most well made, but its definitely a step up.
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
Got Worms?

This is a different radio than the gt3, its the gt3b
Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'bve just ordered 2 of these, i figure if nothing else it'll be a radio for the kids to use and if it gets broken i dont care...

for now though i will be giving one to my brother to use for his basher (only needs 2 channels, but need 2.4 so we can stop worrying about crystals)

and the second i will keep to tinker.

2 full rx/tx setups for less than it would cost me for a receiver for the spektrum or futaba.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Lots of good info here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ansmitter.html

I would like to mod it to 3 pos switch though.

I went ahead and ordered one too.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

well based on the programming in the screen with the 2 epas for the 3rd channel, it makes me confident that we could make ti a 3 pos.

it'd be interesting if this works with it

http://wantasummit.com/3TruePosition.aspx

however i am reluctant to spend $30 on a mod for a radio with the same value.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

so after read a dozen pages on rctech I think this radio has some issues, think I'll get a traxxas 2.4 3ch. off ebay
Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
well based on the programming in the screen with the 2 epas for the 3rd channel, it makes me confident that we could make ti a 3 pos.

it'd be interesting if this works with it

http://wantasummit.com/3TruePosition.aspx

however i am reluctant to spend $30 on a mod for a radio with the same value.
I've had many tell me its just a 2 pos, its got epa's both ways so if you reverese the ch you can have the oppisite epa's.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to bump this back up and see if anyone has received there radio yet and what they think of it.

I just ordered one myself
0lllllll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

i just got mine yesterday, however i haven't had time to open it up.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 View Post
Just wanted to bump this back up and see if anyone has received there radio yet and what they think of it.

I just ordered one myself
I'll be ordering one soon to see what i can do, but i'm busy with a few other projects so it may be a few weeks.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #18

I guess its not programable? like the futaba, the buttons look the same as that on the futaba grip. I'm not sure but I would think there would be a way to assign the buttons, right ? But if not, it would explain the price.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #19

ive had mine for a few weeks now. its works great other then steering wheel mount seems a little wiggly lol. i set it up to take three cell lipo and a 1300 is an exact fit. third channel has epas but the reversing of the channel doesnt do what you think. if you hook it to a servo. when the third channel is off the servo is full one direction. ativate third channel and you get full other direction. now reverse the channel. and what you get is full the other direction hit the switch and full back the other way again. so essentially there is no middle position. i have the novak dig and cant use it with this radio currently because im always either in front dig or rear dig no middle. im going to order wantasummits true 3 as soon as he gets them back in stock.
jereosbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #20

I got mine last night and am happy with it so far. Binds right away, I ordered 2 extra receivers and got them programed no problem. If your having troubles there is a great tutorial on nitrorcx.com where "Bobby" showes you the features. Mine did not come with instructions but I believe you can get them on-line easy enough
jspies22 is offline   Reply With Quote