Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: servo troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default servo troubleshooting

Hello all,

I did try to search this on the forum and had no luck finding anything.

In my quest for maximum steering throw I installed the cvd axles and used a longer servo horn on a 645MG. The truck would steer ridiculously tight.

The problem that arose was that it was placing undue demand on the servo. I have the servo mounted on the chassis and a cheapie radio with no EPA. Any excess throw flexes the suspension and I felt it took pressure off the servo.

When I would have the steering maxed out and try to use throttle the truck would cut out and drift as if in neutral. If the steering did not return to center it would still refuse to move. Sometimes even when on level ground a full left or right turn would stop the truck immediately. This caused my CC BEC (set 6.0v) to cook. It smelled hot and one of the components on the bottom melted through the wrap. It is dead now. I shortened the servo horn and it seems to be fixed (no more cutting out). I am going to buy another CC BEC but I don't want to cook another $20 part. I also ordered a hitec 7954. I am worried that I will ruin these parts...

I am running an FX-R with a 4000 mah 20C 3S lipo. 45 or 55T integy lathe.

Has anyone ever burnt up electronics by putting strain on a servo? Will a 400 oz in servo make the problem better or worse?
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbs View Post
I have the servo mounted on the chassis and a cheapie radio with no EPA.................................................. .......... Will a 400 oz in servo make the problem better or worse?
Worse. A lot worse, I would think. That servo's going to draw a lot of power and with no EPA's will still hit the bind point. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on you toasting another BEC post-haste. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Worse. A lot worse, I would think. That servo's going to draw a lot of power and with no EPA's will still hit the bind point. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on you toasting another BEC post-haste. Feel free to prove me wrong, though.
+1.

The cheapest route is to play with where you mount the steering link to the servo arm, get it out as far as you can, but short of binding. Better to give up a few degrees of turning but avoid melting parts.

Best route is to get a radio that has EPA's on it.

Side note: you could also get a HiTec programmer and add a current limit to the servo programming, this will save it but EPA's are my 1st choice.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote