Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless motor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Brushless motor question

I have a Novak 18.5 crawler system and I run 20/80 gearing. I went and hooked up one of my Tekin short course brushless 17.5 motors with a 13mm rotor in it to the Novak esc and It's slower and I lost all drag brake. When you turn each motor by hand the Tekin turns a lot harder due to the heaver magnets. So why does the Tekin not really work with the Novak esc.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
RCC Addict

The reason it's slower is the 17.5 is a lower kv than the 18.5, yes I know this doesn't sound right. Novak somehow made the 18.5 very fast, faster than all 17.5's even Novak. Depending on which 18.5 (black or silver) the 13mm rotor would drop the kv again. The silver 18.5 with 12.3mm rotor is way faster than a 17.5/13mm, black motor with 14mm rotor should be close to the Tekin in speed.

Novhack designed thier system to only work with thier "crawler" motors, which are no different than any other motor except for a resistor that tells the ESC it's a "crawler". Forces you to stick with Novhack motors, serves no other purpose. Novhack claims it's so you can hook up a non "crawler" motor and have a Havoc, real world that would have been in the programming, it's to force use of thier product. The silver motors are easy to trash (damage the sensor wires and it's done) so they made a lot of money by forcing replacement with thier motors.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
The reason it's slower is the 17.5 is a lower kv than the 18.5, yes I know this doesn't sound right. Novak somehow made the 18.5 very fast, faster than all 17.5's even Novak. Depending on which 18.5 (black or silver) the 13mm rotor would drop the kv again. The silver 18.5 with 12.3mm rotor is way faster than a 17.5/13mm, black motor with 14mm rotor should be close to the Tekin in speed.

Novhack designed thier system to only work with thier "crawler" motors, which are no different than any other motor except for a resistor that tells the ESC it's a "crawler". Forces you to stick with Novhack motors, serves no other purpose. Novhack claims it's so you can hook up a non "crawler" motor and have a Havoc, real world that would have been in the programming, it's to force use of thier product. The silver motors are easy to trash (damage the sensor wires and it's done) so they made a lot of money by forcing replacement with thier motors.
Figures...marketing scam. Thanks for info, I have the old silver Novak I just wish I could get the drag brake to work better other than running a small pinion gear.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
RCC Addict

You'll also notice a lack of instant reverse with the Tekin motor, one pull for brake and a second for reverse. The silver 18.5 is 2700KV if I remember right and the 17.5 is 2200KV minus some speed for the rotor so really less than 2000KV. I gave up on getting Novaks drag to work decent, plus I've found that if maxed it will overheat things just sitting there with no fan. I run the brake set about level three and it allows for controlled desent, where high brake levels get out of control the way it switches from drag to freewheel.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If I recall correctly, you can bridge the thermistor wire and the ground wire with a 7.5k resistor and it will turn on the drag with the novak unit. it may be a 10k resistor or a 5k resistor. At any rate it wants to see something there besides a thermistor.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote