Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: waterproof mmp???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default waterproof mmp???

Id love to use my mmp in the wraith I'm gonna be getting but I don't see a good way to waterproof it. Has anyone done it?
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The easiest way is to put it in a balloon.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I pulled mine out of the case to shorten up the wiring, solder the BEC onto the circuit board, then I went ahead and dipped it in liquid electrical tape. I just masked off the top portion of the heat sink.

Make sure you get the liquid electrical tape all around the base of the heatsink so no water can get under it.

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You can waterproof it easily with Plastidip. I prefer this method when waterproofing ESC's or servos since the balloon method causes heat to build up or you run the risk of having it rip.

Take the ESC apart (this will void your warranty). You will have to remove the fan as well. The fan cannot be waterproofed. Taking the ESC apart is simple remove the back sticker and use a small flat head to pop off the four tabs.

Get the brush on version or buy the entire can and apply with a paint brush...or just dunk it in the goop.

Let it start to cure (twist the wires around something so that the ESC is hanging in the air) after about 5-7 min it becomes pliable by hand. Use your fingers and work your way around the entire ESC.

You will also need to take a hobby knife and cut around the cooling fins. The entire process sounds complicated but it really just takes about an hour mostly due to the curing time of the Plasti Dip.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

You can also use Liquid Tape but I have found that Liquid Tape over time will flake off or peel if there is a lot of abrasion, heat, or vibrations.

There's some YouTube videos on waterproofing MMP's and other ESCs!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I thought about it but when you are running 5000mah 3s lipo batteries that's just asking to fry that esc. Id also have to disconnect the fan off the esc. Balloon+mmp=goodbye esc. Why hasn't anyone made a great brushless esc? Traxxas has one but has no crawling features. HH has the best brushed only esc that's waterproof IMO. And mmp has the best all around esc but isn't waterproof. looks like I'm going to have to teach myself how to work on brushed motors. It just seems to be to hard to make the best all in one esc.

Well it sounds like there are ways to waterproof it. Now its time to debate if I wanna void my warrenty.

Last edited by muddinscx; 09-16-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Liquid tape and balloons will both work ok but you are trappin in heat and making it hard for the esc to dissipate it. I like the Corrosionx method myself. It does not trap heat onto the unit and you can use your fan still. Mind you the blades can still be damaged by debris but the unit itself can still be hooked up and ran.

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/...z_Aerosol.aspx

http://youtu.be/6jpSW50cobs

I also like that it doesn't make your esc look like ass when you done like the other methods
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdojack View Post
I pulled mine out of the case to shorten up the wiring, solder the BEC onto the circuit board, then I went ahead and dipped it in liquid electrical tape. I just masked off the top portion of the heat sink.

Make sure you get the liquid electrical tape all around the base of the heatsink so no water can get under it.

TOM
^^ Yep. Here's mine after being coated in liquid electrical tape. It even fits in the original case with no issues and the heat sink is still fully functional.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpSW...e_gdata_player

But the liquid ele trical tape seems more permanent.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpSW...e_gdata_player

But the liquid ele trical tape seems more permanent.
I posted That same video 2 posts up. The stuff is really a very good product and superior to the liquid tape in almost every way.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
I posted That same video 2 posts up. The stuff is really a very good product and superior to the liquid tape in almost every way.
You know me. I barely read what people post. Haha. I keep plugging that stuff everytime I see a threD with the words "waterproof" and "esc" in a title.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
The easiest way is to put it in a balloon.

That's what I do.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default heres a way that holds warranty

check out this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E7pNOlmKvQ
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama View Post

Too much work is a severe understatement.

But it does maintain your warranty...
Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I had a Mamba Max Pro that I ran for 9 months in a balloon. It died recently and I cut it out of the balloon and sent it into Castle. I got a new one in the mail 10 days later and it is in a new balloon in one of my other rigs. Can't get much easier than that .

Oh, one other thing. I put a MMP in a box and sealed it all up with Plasti-dip. It rubber coating separated at the wires and water got in...I had to pay for that replacement.

Last edited by War Pig; 09-16-2011 at 07:09 PM.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I had a Mamba Max Pro that I ran for 9 months in a balloon. It died recently and I cut it out of the balloon and sent it into Castle. I got a new one in the mail 10 days later and it is in a new balloon in one of my other rigs. Can't get much easier than that .

Oh, one other thing. I put a MMP in a box and sealed it all up with Plasti-dip. It rubber coating separated at the wires and water got in...I had to pay for that replacement.
Id balloon a cheap esc like a ae-2 or sv2 but when I paid $120 (both the other esc's put together) a balloon doesn't sound as good. Plus it doesn't look at good. The box idea is good but can also fail. I was thinking of a small plastic container with a lit that I can cut and seal