Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: electronics questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

Default electronics questions

Hey all...I am building my first XR10 and was looking for some advice on what the best esc's and motors would be? Also I'm new to lipo so any information there as far what milliamp rating I should get would be helpful as well...Thanks!
xr10ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Best is what you can afford as well as doing what you want/need.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

Gee thanks Charlie III...I was hoping for some manufacturer/model recommendations that I could price out and make a decision from..got any?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Personally I prefer Tekin's FXR but others like Castles and others like Novaks. Some prefer using a brushless ESC so they can pull it out and put it in a racer. Others just like whatever they bought.

Are you planning to comp or play around? Do you want to go brushless or brushed? Have you checked out your local comp club to see what they use? If they're like mine you'll see four rigs with four different set ups.

Lipo size is easy, 3S 400 to 850 mah packs are nice and small but still let you finish a comp.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr10ster View Post
Gee thanks Charlie III...I was hoping for some manufacturer/model recommendations that I could price out and make a decision from..got any?
Am I a PITA??? maybe
You ask a broad question, I gave a PITA answer.
Not being a butthole, if there are 20 brands, you will get 20 answers.

Mostly, my son & I run Castle Creations ESC's. We run a mix (of vendors) of brushed motors. We run 2S & 3S battery packs from CheapBatteryPacks.com.

If there is local support for particular brands, stick with that since locals can be better prepared to help out.

Does this help??
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Best is what you can afford as well as doing what you want/need.
That's pretty profound. Glad he didn't ask any existentialist theory questions.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the info AreCee...very helpful and I have been cheking the Tekins out and am not real familiar with castle but I will look into those as well.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #8

that was a little more helpful CharlieIII...I will check out the Castle stuff as well.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Am I a PITA??? maybe
You ask a broad question, I gave a PITA answer.
Not being a butthole, if there are 20 brands, you will get 20 answers.

Mostly, my son & I run Castle Creations ESC's. We run a mix (of vendors) of brushed motors. We run 2S & 3S battery packs from CheapBatteryPacks.com.

If there is local support for particular brands, stick with that since locals can be better prepared to help out.

Does this help??
The idea is to get a consensus, and to do that people have to actually answer the question no matter how "broad" it may be, and you can weigh your opinion based on how many times a particular brand keeps coming up. As he said, he is new. He's trying to gather some intel, I don't see anything wrong with that. Guess no one ever gave you a break huh?

Welcome to the site xr10ster! I'm sure you know what opinions are like anyways, right? I found there are a lot of folks on here that are willing to help and offer good advice. You get exactly what you pay for with some of the other folks.
Check out this forum area, it's all about the XR10, there are some good tips and setup ideas in there. Especially from Brandon, Harley and Bender. Those guys know what they are talking about! Hope it helps. Enjoy!
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
RCC Addict

You may wish to check out Holmes Hobbies if you intend to run brushed only.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
The idea is to get a consensus, and to do that people have to actually answer the question no matter how "broad" it may be, and you can weigh your opinion based on how many times a particular brand keeps coming up. As he said, he is new. He's trying to gather some intel, I don't see anything wrong with that. Guess no one ever gave you a break huh?

Welcome to the site xr10ster! I'm sure you know what opinions are like anyways, right? I found there are a lot of folks on here that are willing to help and offer good advice. You get exactly what you pay for with some of the other folks.
Check out this forum area, it's all about the XR10, there are some good tips and setup ideas in there. Especially from Brandon, Harley and Bender. Those guys know what they are talking about! Hope it helps. Enjoy!
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=204

Thank you very much for the help my friend...I just want to build it right from the start with little to no regrets.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Hey thanks...I actually just looked at those today and it was my understanding they are actually better than the Tekin motors? Also would you go with 45 turn? I'm hoping to end up competing down the road so would like to build it with that in mind.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Definitely staying with brushed motors!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Tekin FXR(s) and a pair of Brood motors or Holmes motors. You looking to run dual esc's or just a single with a dig switch? That will depend on the radio gear you have/are willing to buy.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Tekin FXR(s) and a pair of Brood motors or Holmes motors. You looking to run dual esc's or just a single with a dig switch? That will depend on the radio gear you have/are willing to buy.
Dual esc setup...was thinking of purchasing a Futaba 4PL...thoughts?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

dual esc and a 4pl is a great setup. for esc choice i prefer castle but 2 tekin fxrs fit better and go with brood or holmes 45t motors, i prefer brood for my handwounds
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
dual esc and a 4pl is a great setup. for esc choice i prefer castle but 2 tekin fxrs fit better and go with brood or holmes 45t motors, i prefer brood for my handwounds
Ok good to hear...I will look at brood also now. Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'll probably get some flames for this statement but I use dual FXRs with Tekin machine wound 55T motors in my Bully. Plenty of wheel speed, great drag brakes (6.25 pound rig), lower cost, smooth throttle control and rebuildable.

Radio is a Futaba 3PKS with a Spektrum Pro module.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Good info guys! Thanks. I've heard a lot of good about the Holmes motors, also the Brood. It's gonna be a toss up but I will be going with a pair of one of the two companies' motors in my XR10 build. What is the best turns to get? 45T, 55T? 45T seems pretty common among everyone so far. Is there anyone who has used both motor companies that wants to weigh in and give some pros/cons? It would be much appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
Dual esc and a 4pl is a great setup. For esc choice I prefer Castle, but 2 tekin fxrs fit better and go with brood or holmes 45t motors, I prefer brood for my handwounds
I say, "+1"......My son runs dual ESC's, Br00d 35T brushed & a 4PL on his 2.2 Bully rig.
I run dual CC MM's, Fantom 35T brushed & a 3PM-x (with a WannAmix) on my 2.2 Bully.

As to winds on most MOA's, I say 35T or 40T, better to be a little "hot" on the wind and drop a tooth or so on the pinion than to be to "cool" and have an issue with adding teeth.