Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: SV2 Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SV2 Issue

I just got my hand on a SV2 and had it programmed...I than noticed it was reversed (throttle/Reverse) so I reversed the wires and turned it back on again and I got nothing...the lights were dim and only the steering worked

Any ideas?

Alfy
CLODZ_72_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The first thing I would do, would be to program the esc to the radio gear. If the sv2 is anything like a sidewinder you'll need to hold your throttle to WOT then turn the esc on. It will flash the green lite and give you a tone and then start blinking the red led on the esc at which time you go to full brake and hold it til the lites change. Then the esc will chime at you twice telling you it has been programed correctly. If while holding/ programing the WOT and the esc doesn't program the FWD/ green led then the throttle channel on the radio will need to be reversed. After the esc has been programmed hook the motor up and see if it will spin in the right direction, if not reverse the wires on the motor.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLODZ_72_2003 View Post
I just got my hand on a SV2 and had it programmed...I than noticed it was reversed (throttle/Reverse) so I reversed the wires and turned it back on again and I got nothing...the lights were dim and only the steering worked

Any ideas?

Alfy
Which wires did you reverse, the wires going to the RX from the ESC? If so, you can't do that.
ESC's can usually be reversed internally (using buttons or a programmer) or from the TX (usually a switch, sometimes in a menu).
Get that all fixed before worrying about the motor direction.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks Guys

I switched motor wires....when I was throttling, it was going backwards...I switched the white and black wires on the esc and motor....than the lights dimmed and all i had was steering

Alfy
Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Should be the red and black if you are running brushed and the newer firmware. Also they come from the factory programmed for brushless so you have to change that if you are running brushed.

It would probably help to have the rest of your specs.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

any of you guys have the red (reverse) keep beeping with the reverse held WOT? Have changed 2 radios and 3 receivers, same thing. Running V1.32, brushed, lipo, red black soldered right to motor.

going to try different versions of programming to see if that will change.

yes have contacted castle and Charles told me to contact tech, which I have...was just wondering if you guys have fount this problem???
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks Guys

I switched motor wires....when I was throttling, it was going backwards...I switched the white and black wires on the esc and motor....than the lights dimmed and all i had was steering

Alfy
Get a Castle link & Switch the motor direction with it.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
any of you guys have the red (reverse) keep beeping with the reverse held WOT? Have changed 2 radios and 3 receivers, same thing. Running V1.32, brushed, lipo, red black soldered right to motor.

going to try different versions of programming to see if that will change.

yes have contacted castle and Charles told me to contact tech, which I have...was just wondering if you guys have fount this problem???
I cant understand your problem...Can you give us some info on what is happening?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

when you connect to the sidewinder, the radio is turned on, esc is off...hold the throttle on full, turn on the esc. it goes to the set up mode and starts flashing on green, then starts beeping/flashing green when it found full through of forward. go to neutral. the esc goes to red (reverse) push the throttle full forward. esc turns from flashing red to beeping/flashing red...let go of throttle (return to neutral)..esc keeps beeping/flashing red, never goes to yellow. let it sit for 10 min once....changed radios, same..changed receivers, same..
Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Are your end points maxed out and your trim at 0?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

trim set to zero, end points at 100
Old 10-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Try reversing the channel on your radio and see what happens. I cant think of another reason why this would happen other than a bad signal (probably not since you have tried multiple radios) or a defect in the ESC.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

castle told me if the light is a dim red one she is fried.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

on both radios reversed the channels and motor directions..in multiple different combos, still nothing.

red light is as bright as the yello and green.

heres a odd one. I just turned on the esc and not tried to calibrate it...and it works...reverse is like 1/3 speed and I don't get the full throw in forward...green light doesn't go solid. So I'm thinking its getting signal. Castle has yet to contact me back on the matter.

I did read in the manual where there was a solution where the neutral (yellow) keeps blinking and never goes solid. you adjust the trim till it finds it or something like that..so I tried that with the end points....no avail..

gotta be a bad esc from the factory. Sending in a MM that won't keep its programming...not a good week for castle at Squatch's house!!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did read in the manual where there was a solution where the neutral (yellow) keeps blinking and never goes solid. you adjust the trim till it finds it or something like that..so I tried that with the end points....no avail..
Adjusting the throttle trim is DIFFERENT from adjusting the throttle end points.
Normally, throttle trim @ "0", throttle EPA's @ 100%. You "may" need to change the throttle deadband (which also relates to centering like trim) when you calibrate.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yea adjusting the trim is for when you are not calibrating, its when the neutral signal is out of range when you turn it on.

Sounds to me like yours is not getting the signal for some reason, I would assume a bad component inside the ESC is causing it.

If you have a castle link have you tried switching to a different firmware? Maybe if you updated it the firmware got corrupt somehow?

If you hook a servo to the channel in question does it throw both directions as you would expect?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
on both radios reversed the channels and motor directions..in multiple different combos, still nothing.

red light is as bright as the yello and green.

heres a odd one. I just turned on the esc and not tried to calibrate it...and it works...reverse is like 1/3 speed and I don't get the full throw in forward...green light doesn't go solid. So I'm thinking its getting signal. Castle has yet to contact me back on the matter.

gotta be a bad esc from the factory. Sending in a MM that won't keep its programming...not a good week for castle at Squatch's house!!
In your above post, it looks like you were calibrating wrong. You need to hold full throttle, when it chimes, go straight to full reverse, when it chimes again, then let it in neutral.

Make sure your EPA's are maxed out, and that your trim is centered.

Castle has had a few issues with this Esc. But you dont sound to be calibrating right. Below is a link to a thread I started a while back if you havent read it already. Some of the info may be useful

Castle Creations ESC tip thread(brushed)
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Adjusting the throttle trim is DIFFERENT from adjusting the throttle end points.
Normally, throttle trim @ "0", throttle EPA's @ 100%. You "may" need to change the throttle deadband (which also relates to centering like trim) when you calibrate.
I know

Hooked up a friends towr hobbies 2txp and configured right away. Now why did all of a sudden my two xr4 radios decide to not configure to any of my castle products??? Sidewinder, MMP, and sidewinder micro..now I'm thinking I sent in my MM for nothing.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB's 05 View Post
castle told me if the light is a dim red one she is fried.

Can someone verify this? if thats the case, my first attempt attempt with a brushless setup, has turned to shit

I just tried the esc again and all three lights are dim although the steering does work

Any thoughts?

Alfy
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Can someone verify this? if thats the case, my first attempt attempt with a brushless setup, has turned to shit

I just tried the esc again and all three lights are dim although the steering does work

Any thoughts?

Alfy
Did the ESC arm?

Castle has a very good warranty and they will make it right if it is fried.