Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: tekin 55t sticking...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default tekin 55t sticking...

As the title says, my tekin 55t seems to stick at low speed ie when it needs the torque going up a wall head on. I slowly crawl up an it sticks even at full throttle. I replaced the brushes an cleaned the comm hooked up a fully charged 3s what I typically run. I'm usih holmes br-xl. I'm at a loss as to what to do. All connections are good. It runs fine other than when it nees torque an precice throttle control. Should I break in the new brushes in some water or will the be freudless?
all_scaled_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_scaled_out View Post
or will the be freudless?
Hah!

Well, the new brushes should be broken in yes, but I'd like to know how you cleaned the comm, and how many hours are on the motor.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Theres about 80 or so hours on the motor. I used some eraser like stick I got from my lhs who were less than willing to help me. I sprayed the comm with a minute amount an used the stick again
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

80 hours? A bit on the high side by about 75 hours...

More than likely the comm is in bad shape and needs to be cut. A comm stick isn't going to do the job........and its very possible the comm is toast from being run that long with no maintenance on it.

Right now, you probably have a brush hanging because of the comm condition, but those symptoms you described are also consistent with a shorted armature.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Yeah, new motor time.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ok yea I really didn't think it would be that bad. I run it just about every dayfor 30 min or so an lightly clean it every so often. I take it apart tomorrow for a closer look an try to clean that comm more. It doesn't look bad to me but the brushes looked pretty chewed up.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Chances are that if the brushes looked really chewed up then it;s a good bet that the comm that the brushes contact is also chewed up.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Last ditch effort I sanded it down with 2k grit sandpaper. Ill see if that helped at all in the morning.

Thanks for the help guys. :/
Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Last ditch effort I sanded it down with 2k grit sandpaper. Ill see if that helped at all in the morning.
Thanks for the help guys. :/
Say wha?!

Any money its proper cactus now. Sanding the comm is bad news, as it ends up out of round and usually with a taper/hourglass to it.

As EddieO and the others said, it needs to be cut/trued on a lathe. Plus if you are still running with the same brushes as before its getting no benefit as they will still be worn down to nubs.

99.99999% chance you are going to need a new motor now.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
80 hours? A bit on the high side by about 75 hours...
Wait a minute - what exactly are you saying there? 5hrs sure seems very little to me.
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_Savage View Post
Wait a minute - what exactly are you saying there? 5hrs sure seems very little to me.
While 5 hours does not mean the motor is worn out, it does mean it really needs a good service.
As mentioned, get the motor cleaned, cut the comm, lube the bearings/bushings and then install new brushes.

If you've run it for 75-80 hours with no more than a blow out and/or brushes you are losing a lot of performance.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Okay this what I did. First I did not go out an buy a new motor, secondly I cleaned the snot out of the brushes an comm, third I swapped the 20t pinion for 11t pinion. Nice an smooth now an geared for torque not speed wbich is my main objective. Granted i know itll never run like new again but its more of a band-aid. When I am ready an feel the tekin motor is at its end I will get a holmes puller motor an take much better care of than I did the tekin. This is all a learning process for me an I learn more by doing and getting help when I get stuck on something. Thank you all for adding your 2cents to the pot.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Okay this what I did. First I did not go out an buy a new motor, secondly I cleaned the snot out of the brushes an comm, third I swapped the 20t pinion for 11t pinion. Nice an smooth now an geared for torque not speed wbich is my main objective. Granted i know itll never run like new again but its more of a band-aid. When I am ready an feel the tekin motor is at its end I will get a holmes puller motor an take much better care of than I did the tekin. This is all a learning process for me an I learn more by doing and getting help when I get stuck on something. Thank you all for adding your 2cents to the pot.
I would check with some locals, they may be able to cut your comm.

Most of us are NOT trying to bash you, instead we're trying to add to your knowledge.
I can pretty much guarantee most of the replies are from people that have smoked a motor or two....or three....or.........
When I started, Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet, so learning was a different proposition. Also, Big Jim hadn't written the "Big Black Book of motors" yet. Talk to EddieO about Big Jim.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

No I know nobody is trying to bash me. I also know not everybody has the right answer an you have to pick an choose what's the best plan of action without sending yourself off a cliff. I know it'll be wise to have my comm cut an go from there. From what I see is going on its really not that big of a problem YET. From what I ve read so far if I don't take the right steps ill be in trouble. That is why I turn to rcc if I have trouble there's so many knowledgeable people here willing to help the people who are willing to put their pride aside an ignore the bs. Not saying anyone has bashed me on this thread just saying in general
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_Savage View Post
In my Losi, I was cutting comms every 30 minutes or so. 15 minutes of comp time, then around 15 more of play time, then cut for the next event.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Yea that's what the guy at the lhs said. He cut his after every event. I don't really comp much, I might compete once every 7 or months. I mainly just crawl in the backyard or I go somewhere with the local guys just to have fun. I crawl just about every day. I get lots of practice since there aren't many scalers in my area. I probably get about 20 hrs of track time a month on my course and don't realise how much abuse my truck is taking. Ill go outside for 20 or 30 min at a time 3 or 4 times a day depending on my very loose schedule. Not doing anything too harsh just putting around.

I need to find a lathe or find how. To make one
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You find used lathes online for $25-$50 pretty easy........I am sure numerous guys at your local track have one hiding in a box some where. I've told numerous customers to hit up the local racers for a used lathe........some have even gotten them for free or scored tons of other nice motor stuff for cheap (tools, motors, parts, etc)...

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks eddie ill look online for a used one. I think that'll be my best option right now
Old 11-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks EddieO, I'll look online for a used one. I think that'll be my best option right now
I prefer the Hudy comm lathes, but many others will work....much better than hand sanding.
Look around, there are online "copies" of Big Jim's black book on motors.
If you have questions, there are a few here that have great experiance, others (like myself) can at least get you going in the right direction.

I "believe" there will be a nice thread on RC brushed motors here soon......don't ask me how I know.........
Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thanks charlie, I will look into the hudy lathes. As for the brushed thread. I'm suprised there isn't one already since that's the main type of motor used.

Ill have to find that black book and print it out for easy reference an I'm sure ill be reading a lot on brushed motors. Maybe use an old motor as a learning tester.