Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: cc sidewinder sv2 opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

Default cc sidewinder sv2 opinions?

im in a big toss up on what esc i should get. i was lookin at the side winder cause from what i heard it does good for a trail truck and you can get good powered motors to run off it. you can run brushed right? have you ran it and have you had any problems?
troy95chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm running it with a 1200kv brushless right now and it's great. Really firm drag brake and tons of power, only issue with it is the weak BEC Castle is notorious for. Otherwise it's a really great Esc in a relatively small package.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My son is running dual Br00d 35T Brushed with dual SCT ESC's (same electronics as SV2, different label) with no issues that I am aware of.
If he had issues, I would know about them.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've had some issues with mine that seems to stem from having something other than a linear throttle curve. Right now, running dual sv2s with matched HH 35T pros without any real issues. I have an external BEC to handle the receiver and servo though.

Right now I'm considering swapping my sv2s for brxls, just can't swing the cash for it yet.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have been a castle fan from the get go and had great luck in the past. The newer speedos they are putting out have been nothing but trouble for me. I currently have 6 sct speedos sitting here that are brand new from castle and all have the same issues. They do not like to run brushless for me. They will for a little bit then they start acting up and stalling on me. I can replace the speedo with another one(Tekin) and all is fine. Also when I swap the esc to another vehicle the problems follow it. Castle still says its an issue on my end with my electronics or install. They keep sending new ones which is nice of them but they all have failed to work properly so far. On a side not I can drop in my first generation sidewinders and they run great pack after pack. I wont be buying anymore of the new castle stuff myself
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My Sv2 is sitting on the bench. DEAD. It worked fine till I downloaded new firmware and never worked again.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

R.i.p.
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Version 1 is a champ, SV2 is junk. one sitting in my toolbox that will never go in another truck.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB's 05 View Post
My Sv2 is sitting on the bench. DEAD. It worked fine till I downloaded new firmware and never worked again.
Did you try to revert to an earlier firmware version??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Have an SV2 with a Tacon 1800kv on 3S, No BEC and works just fine. No cogging and cool as cucumber. If you are going brushed, just go with a HH BRXL and be done with it.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Castle support is top notch, anyone who is sitting around with dead Esc is doing so at their own choice. I had some bad luck with an MMP and even when I fried it due to my own mistake they replaced it for free. Also if you have 6 dead or not functioning SCT escs you are the only common denomenator and it sure sounds like it's your problem as that's just absurd to think Castle would ship you 6 bunk Escs.

To the guy with a firmware issue, they had a known issue with firmware 1.32 it isn't hard to call them and get it reslved.

My MMP and Sv2 are the best Escs I've used, plus they continue to gain new features and better function with every firmware update released.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
Castle support is top notch, anyone who is sitting around with dead Esc is doing so at their own choice. I had some bad luck with an MMP and even when I fried it due to my own mistake they replaced it for free. Also if you have 6 dead or not functioning SCT escs you are the only common denomenator and it sure sounds like it's your problem as that's just absurd to think Castle would ship you 6 bunk Escs.

To the guy with a firmware issue, they had a known issue with firmware 1.32 it isn't hard to call them and get it reslved.

My MMP and Sv2 are the best Escs I've used, plus they continue to gain new features and better function with every firmware update released.
Castle is still working with me on the issue. I have more emails in to them with videos and pictures right now and waiting on more thoughts from them. I have ran castle for years and installed at least 50 or more of their products over the years into mine, customers, and friends vehicles. Here is a pic of how many I am running right now in various things

If I am the common problem causing the issue maybe you can help me then. Explain to me why when the suspect speedos are taken out and replaced with old version sidewinders or tekins my truck runs just fine? Or why when I put those speedos in another perfect functioning vehicle the problem follows to that vehicle also? We have put them in vehicles of all kinds and owned by different people but the problem still occurs no matter where the speedo goes and who puts it in. 6 was an exaggeration as I only have 4 currently in possesion and the others are in the mail on the way back to castle. These are for a moa so they are being delt with in pairs is the reason for so many. While i still have some hope they might help me eventually I am not holding my breath. The sv2 series is garbage compared to the first gen ones.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Dude I'm not tech support it's just simple logic. Out of all the Escs Castle produces the chances you got 6 faulty ones are so low that at some point user error hs to be considered as a possibility. Bad luck is one thing but come on man
Old 08-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
Dude I'm not tech support it's just simple logic. Out of all the Escs Castle produces the chances you got 6 faulty ones are so low that at some point user error hs to be considered as a possibility. Bad luck is one thing but come on man
User error was a consideration during the process of finding the problem. I swapped motors with no result. I swapped radios with no result. Bought new higher capacity batterys with no result. Took out the speed controls and put old sidewinders or tekins in and it goes away. Im not even part of the equation when they have been installed into friends vehicles. But they still malfunction. I have checked them every way I possibly can and had other very knowledgeable people in my area test them and same results. I ran it today with an inline volt meter on the motor leads and can clearly see the units not putting power out when they stall. All the lights function and say its working and green light flashes indicating forward input but no voltage comes out of the unit. I can be driving along with it putting out 6v or so while crawling and watch my meter drop to 0 or almost 0 voltage. That is with a good battery freshly charged. I havent altered the speedos in any way other than putting deans on them. If you are so convinced It cant be a bad batch of speedos and I'm the cause at least throw me some ideas of things to try. I'm by no means flawless or always do everything right but on the same token I dont do things wrong 6 times in a row after doing it right all my life. I am open to ideas on it if you can give some insight or something new to try
Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

http://youtu.be/jySyIwSJ5kg
Here is a short clip of them mildly acting up. It can be even more drastic and often if it wants. Makes it undrivable and you cant even consider comping with them. If you wonder if the motors are the culprit these are new Holmes motors and I have had Broods and Integy in there with no difference
Old 08-23-2011, 03:06 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Its seems the SV2/SCT are hit and miss. I have 3 of them in my rigs running 27t-50t brushed motors on 3s with no issues (touch wood), picked up 3 more for some mates of mine and they are yet to have issues (again, touch wood)

But some blokes seem to be getting some dud ones on a pretty regular basis.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
User error was a consideration during the process of finding the problem. I swapped motors with no result. I swapped radios with no result. Bought new higher capacity batterys with no result. Took out the speed controls and put old sidewinders or tekins in and it goes away. Im not even part of the equation when they have been installed into friends vehicles. But they still malfunction. I have checked them every way I possibly can and had other very knowledgeable people in my area test them and same results. I ran it today with an inline volt meter on the motor leads and can clearly see the units not putting power out when they stall. All the lights function and say its working and green light flashes indicating forward input but no voltage comes out of the unit. I can be driving along with it putting out 6v or so while crawling and watch my meter drop to 0 or almost 0 voltage. That is with a good battery freshly charged. I havent altered the speedos in any way other than putting deans on them. If you are so convinced It cant be a bad batch of speedos and I'm the cause at least throw me some ideas of things to try. I'm by no means flawless or always do everything right but on the same token I dont do things wrong 6 times in a row after doing it right all my life. I am open to ideas on it if you can give some insight or something new to try
Well then you must just have the worst luck ever.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Highlandcrawler this might be a dumb question but did you ever try wiring it up in this manner? I'm not for certain what Castle's definition of "high powered brushed motor" is but yours may very well fit it.

Just tossing an idea out there anyways as I'm curious now as to what could be the issue.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

CHARLIE, I would revert but its dead. Dim red light, Castle said thats the bad light and laughed. When I told them it was fine befor the update and dead after he laughed again. I hung up the phone.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
Jus
I wanna be Dave

In my experience the SV2 is JUNK. Original Sidewinder is a gem.

I went through three brand new SV2 speedos and all had the same problem, with the lipo cutoff turned on the throttle would fade and the truck would die. I swapped out EVERYTHING else in the truck trying to eliminate the esc. Swap out the esc and the truck worked fine.

Turn the cutoff off and it seems to work O.K. with Nimh.. So my wife is using it in her crawler.. Castle apparently could find nothing wrong with the first two I sent back.. Or they just never bothered to check them when I sent them back.. Whatever.. I'm done.. It's too bad, I love my original Sidewinder.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote