RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Single ESC Wiring to Dual MOA Motors (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/369087-single-esc-wiring-dual-moa-motors.html)

JeffK11 02-27-2012 11:24 AM

Single ESC Wiring to Dual MOA Motors

For the life of me, after quite a bit of searching, I cannot find a wiring diagram or a how-to on wiring a single esc to a dual motor... Sorry- lots of info on dual ESC setups, but I'm a little too novice for that yet...

I've got my bully with HH TorqueMaster Sports with 35T motors. Right now, I'm running the stock dual outcry esc to these motors with their separate red/black wires. I don't have a dig switch or anything- just running dual motors- same speed.

I'm wanting to replace this esc with a HH TorqueMaster ESC...

So, do I soldier the red (+) wires from both motors together, then to bullet connector and do the same with the black (-) wires, back to the motors??

Should I do a Y-Harness from the ESC for each red/black???

Another option- get a Novak M2 Dig ?? if so, would I need to get an external BEC?? I have a 3 channel radio to control it...

honcho boy 02-27-2012 11:32 AM

Re: Single ESC Wiring to Dual MOA Motors

i got the m2 dig i like it and for the single you can run two wires off the esc and to the motors if you want dig get a punk dig they work way good i got it on my xr10 love it the m2 dig is on my losi the m2 dig gots a internal bec that only works with 2s but it you want to run the 3s get the extrnal

JeffK11 02-27-2012 12:06 PM

gotcha... thanks for the info on the M2... I know a lot of people have some issues with Novak, but I've had nothing but success with their products- simple and work for me...

hoghead5150 02-27-2012 12:14 PM

best bet is to get a punk dig. will work great with the HH esc. an external bec is always a good idea even with the brxl esc. also if you have a 3 channel radio (with 3 position third channel) your golden, if you don't contact losikid here on the forum and get a wantamix. it will allow a 2 position switch to run the punk dig

heyok 02-27-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoghead5150 (Post 3595013)
best bet is to get a punk dig. will work great with the HH esc. an external bec is always a good idea even with the brxl esc. also if you have a 3 channel radio (with 3 position third channel) your golden, if you don't contact losikid here on the forum and get a wantamix. it will allow a 2 position switch to run the punk dig

The Punk products aren't your only choice.
Please consider the dig controllers I make:

MOA Dig Controller for Three Position Channel

MOA Dig Controller for Two Position Channel

JeffK11 02-27-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyok (Post 3595278)
The Punk products aren't your only choice.
Please consider the dig controllers I make:

MOA Dig Controller for Three Position Channel

MOA Dig Controller for Two Position Channel

oh cool... I did see these a while back and forgot- nice work and it makes a lot of sense...definitely keep this in mind. thanks

brookspage 02-27-2012 08:00 PM

so wow im lost i need to learn a little more.

Charlie-III 02-27-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookspage (Post 3595979)
so wow, I'm lost. I need to learn a little more.

What are you lost about?

I used to run a single ESC on a dual motor MOA with a servo dig.

Servo dig, punk dig or (last but not least) Heyok dig basically do the same thing with similar wiring.

You "could" run a single ESC with dual motors but then you have no dig. May be OK for a fun rig, very tough to deal with in a comp rig.

JeffK11 02-28-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 3596131)
What are you lost about?

I used to run a single ESC on a dual motor MOA with a servo dig.

Servo dig or punk dig, basically do the same thing with similar wiring.

You "could" run a single ESC with dual motors but then you have no dig. May be OK for a fun rig, very tough to deal with in a comp rig.

Yea- no competitions for me- just fun, so you hit the nail on the head- just wanting something that's easy to maintain and works- Since I have a Spektrum DX3C, I'm leaning toward the M2 since I could have the separate motor control...

Charlie-III 02-28-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffK11 (Post 3596672)
Yea- no competitions for me- just fun, so you hit the nail on the head- just wanting something that's easy to maintain and works- Since I have a Spektrum DX3C, I'm leaning toward the M2 since I could have the separate motor control...

Before spending the money on the M2, I would suggest researching it a bit more. I have seen lots of posted issues, not sure if it was resolved.

Holmes Hobbies BRXL, Tekin FX-R & various Castle ESC's have less issues.;-)

benoj 02-28-2012 09:58 AM

if i were you i would go with the hh brxl like you planned and find a separate dig like a servo dig, heyok's digs, punk dig, or rc4wd rocker dig. you are much less likely to have issues than if you were to get a m2
sorry heyok i always forget about your dig unit

heyok 02-28-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benoj (Post 3597073)
if i were you i would go with the hh brxl like you planned and find a separate dig like a servo dig, punk dig, or rc4wd rocker dig. you are much less likely to have issues than if you were to get a m2

Guys! Am I'm chopped liver here! No one ever mentions my dig controller! :twisted:

Rant over!

crawlhog 02-28-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyok (Post 3597086)
Guys! Am I'm chopped liver here! No one ever mentions my dig controller! :twisted:

Rant over!

maybe not your dig controler, but i always give you a shout out about your other products cuase they flat out work"thumbsup""thumbsup"

Tyler-brown 08-04-2012 02:37 PM

I have front and rear steer with my remote so when I hook
Up my esc (mamba max pro) to my Holmes motors 35t I have to hook up negative to one motor to positive on the other to positive on esc and vise versa. If I go positive to positive and negative to negative the motors spin against eachothrr (one forward one reverse)

benoj 08-04-2012 04:38 PM

That's very normal, you need to reverse the wires usually on the rear motor so they spin the same directon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charlie-III 08-05-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benoj (Post 3854851)
That's very normal, you need to reverse the wires usually on the rear motor so they spin the same directon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1, goes for pretty much ANY MOA. Since the motors are "flipped" relative to each other, they need to spin in different directions (relative to the same end of the motors).
Options are to:
Reverse the direction in one ESC (if possible)
Reverse the wiring colors for one motor
Rotate one motor endbell 180*

vzla 08-05-2012 12:22 PM

I also have a Novak M2 with no issues... Just take your time to calibrate it by the book.