Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless freak I am

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Brushless freak I am

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just finished hooking everything up and ran it for about 10 minutes in the shop. The battery was dead also,wouldn't move my brushed motor last time I ran it. Hooked the brushless to it without charging and I had more power than I knew what to do with.

I'm running the Mamba 25 from Holmes Hobbies and an MPJet AC 28/10-7 motor. I've not yet recieved my Castle PC link from JRH,concidering what he's having to go through,I'll wait patiently till he's ready to go back to work. Hope everythings going smooth for you and your family John. I fideled

Last edited by Reflection; 07-23-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

About time you got on board the brushless train Welcome to the Revolution!
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just finished hooking everything up and ran it for about 10 minutes in the shop. The battery was dead also,wouldn't move my brushed motor last time I ran it. Hooked the brushless to it without charging and I had more power than I knew what to do with.
yup
now hook up 2 of them to a pile of cells
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i rember seeing that on maxxtraxx a while ago, lol
cvecmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Raptorman, how much was the PC link? I just finished reading the Mamba manual, and programming looks like it is going to be a nightmare using the controller. I can't wait to try out my brushless.
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
MODERATOR™

The Castle Link is about $25 from Tower. Programming from the controller isn't terrible.

When you get the link hooked up, you've got to check out the throttle curve graph you can adjust. Super cool, though I have YET to play with it.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Went with the short can eh? Cant go wrong there, it will still have plenty of power. You should get your link in today's mail. If not it better be there monday or else the post office is getting a little chat about what 2-3 day delivery means ;)

Programming the mamba without a pc link isnt too bad, but you get many more options to tweak with the PC link like drag brake.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

I should have waited till now to post this thread. I was about half lit when I started this thread and didn't even ask what I ment to.

Programing the Mamba without the link,just following the steps in the manual,was a cake walk.

One thing I wasn't sure of,it says in the book to not use a receiver battery. Can I use my receiver battery?

I'm having to press and depress reverse 5 or 6 times before it'll go from forward to reverse. If it's just sitting there stopped and you try to back up,it works fine and launches backwards. It's just when you try and go from forward to reverse quickly. Is this normal if you just plug it in and run it without programming through the Castle link? Or could it have been from my battery being about dead?

It also seems a little louder than my old brushed motor. Is this normal? I kinda though they would be quieter. I might have set my gear mesh to tight and that's what I'm hearing.

One thing I noticed RIGHT off the bat,I believe I've eliminated even the slightest bit of torque twist I had. I got to thinking about it while installing the new motor and building my new mounts for it. Since the can spins,instead of the heavy *** armature,that would tell me that theres less rotating mass. I believe thats helped me out in that department. Now take into concideration that I was about half lit when I ran it,I still believe it's helped me I'll charge it up tommorrow after work and try to drive it sober and see

I figured up what my crawl ratio is right now,I'm currently running 86.5:1. The little I ran it in the shop and crawling on the firewood pile,it seemed like it was pretty good. With the gears I having lying around,I think I can go up to like 68 or 69:1(which I think would be to high). Getting lower is easy though and I have many options,(rough guesses) like 92:1,95:1,98:1,105:1,115:1 and a few more,but I hate to get TO slow.

Oh,John.....I got the link Saturday I think,I left Saturday morning and stayed at my girlfreinds pad all night then came home this afternoon and hit the mountain for a 1:1 crawl with a few freinds. When I got in from the mountain,I seen it on the counter along with the rest of my mail. Thanks for the quick delivery,I'll probly hook it up Monday evening after work to see what it's all about. Is it fairly easy to program it on the computer? What do you think might be a good starting point as far as the adjustments or settings? The motor I listed in the first post was a typo,sorry guys, Bud Light had a little influence on me that night. I got the long can.....the MPJet Syncro AC 28/20-7. Heres a linkTHE HAUSE

Last edited by Reflection; 07-23-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I believe the reverse problem you are having i the factory setting. Believe there was a delay option or full stop. switch to full on and it should go away, if not only other thing is start up which may be off a little. The link takes care of alot.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #10

The Mamba is a loud controller. It will make the motor whine and groan, but it is good.

You can use a receiver pack with the power switch turned off. If you turn on the BEC and have a receiver pack, you could burn up the BEC.

On the forward/ reverse issue, just hook up the castle link. Go to castle's web site to get the software and follow the directions before you plug the link in. Once you get it installed, tweak your settings from there. You will have to custom enter the reverse and drag brake settings. If you click a value it will not stick to the controller. Refresh the controller settings before you move on to make sure the settings stick- there is a bug in the software.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
The Mamba is a loud controller. It will make the motor whine and groan, but it is good.

You can use a receiver pack with the power switch turned off. If you turn on the BEC and have a receiver pack, you could burn up the BEC.

On the forward/ reverse issue, just hook up the castle link. Go to castle's web site to get the software and follow the directions before you plug the link in. Once you get it installed, tweak your settings from there. You will have to custom enter the reverse and drag brake settings. If you click a value it will not stick to the controller. Refresh the controller settings before you move on to make sure the settings stick- there is a bug in the software.
O.K.,you've confused me remember,I'm just a dumb bricklayer. When it comes to electronics....I'm lost. If I leave the switch in the off possition it'll only pull power from the RX pack right?????? Thats the way my Super Rooster worked,or the way I thought it worked anyway and I just figured this would be the same. The way I'm understaning this is that I don't fool with the on/off switch anymore. Just turn the radio on,plug the batteries up and drive it like you stole it. Even with the switch in the off possition it'll still get it's main power for the motor from the 6 sub C's.

Thanks for the tips.
Steve
Old 07-24-2006, 12:57 PM   #12

yes, you are correct. Use it just like the super rooster.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
yes, you are correct. Use it just like the super rooster.
So I plug the RX pack,like I've always done,into the rec. and plug my sub C's up,turn the radio on and then the Mamba 25 switch and run it like I stole it?

I just figured out how to update the controller with the link and I'm fixxen to go test it out on our test pile.

I'll try and come back in a little while with pics
Old 07-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #14

You dont want to turn on the BEC switch (mamba 25 power) with an rx pack plugged in. Might be too late now though If it gets smoked, you will just have to run an rx pack all the time or send it in to castle for a cheap and quick fix.

Im still bugging them about changing the board layout to fit a 3 amp BEC back on. Hopefully the next revision will include that.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

JRH, I am having the same problem with reverse as the one raptorman described:
Quote:
I'm having to press and depress reverse 5 or 6 times before it'll go from forward to reverse. If it's just sitting there stopped and you try to back up,it works fine and launches backwards. It's just when you try and go from forward to reverse quickly.
I have the ESC programmed to Option #3 for the brake/reverse settings. The way I understand this:
Quote:
Programming through the computer link will fix the problem, correct? Thanks.
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #16

programming through the computer link should fix this, although the controller should be acting right without the link. I have talked to Castle about some of the programming bugs. There seems to be one or two that catch up the controller, but it is always fixable with a bit of tweakin.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
You dont want to turn on the BEC switch (mamba 25 power) with an rx pack plugged in. Might be too late now though If it gets smoked, you will just have to run an rx pack all the time or send it in to castle for a cheap and quick fix.
Well.......I think it might be to late I just ran it for nearly 45 minutes with the switch turned on and my RX pack pluged in O'well,never seen any smoke signals from the peace pipe

John,why stop at 3? Go big or go home

Do you think you'll ever offer a package deal simular to mine for the big size crawlers. Kinda like the Revolver deal but something with a bit bigger sack? I can see brushless in the future on my sons rig. I'm also building a Twin crawler for my brother for his birthday. I need to have it done in a couple weeks and ,just cuz of the time frame,I'll put my old Super Chicklet on there. Mikes(my brother)will eventually get the brushes removed also......this is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubman
JRH, I am having the same problem with reverse as the one raptorman described:

I have the ESC programmed to Option #3 for the brake/reverse settings. The way I understand this:

Programming through the computer link will fix the problem, correct? Thanks.

Hey Cub,I programmed my truck through the computer and it works AWESOME now. My Twin will never see a set of brushes again,this is great. This MPJet AC 28/10-7 motor is perfect for a big size rig,much more power and it would probly start reeking havoc on my axles and drivetrain. At the same time,I can wedge a tire BAD and it'll pull it right out without a strain. My crawl ratio is about 86:1 I believe. It might be a tad low for my taste,wouldn't mind having a shade more wheelspeed. I may go get me a few different pinions and/or spurs and mess around with it between 75:1 and what it is now and see if I can fine tune it a bit better.