Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: AE-2 or BRXL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default AE-2 or BRXL

Alrright im stuck between a rock and a hard place, I dont know which one to get, ive searched and read about both of them and people seem to like both about equally they say both are good, but the AE2 is about 30-40 dollars cheaper..

any insight on which one to go with?

Heres what ill be running,

35t motor
sloar d772 servo
3000 mah NiMh batteries for now if i upgrade to lipo theyll be 2200mah 2s...

going in an SCX-10

thanks guys
KC_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: AE-2 or BRXL

No problem running the AE-2 with that motor and battery. I can't advise on the servo, but the AE-2 is rated at 2A on 2S, so you can always check HobbyPartz on the amp rating on the D772 Solar servo (if they list it).

I run the AE-2 ESC on 4 different trail trucks and have had no issues whatsoever with less than 200 oz-in servos on 2S.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I really like my ae2 but if I was buying a new brushed esc it'd be a brxl water proofed hands down. Pure adjustability, Holmes hold braking and, duh its waterproof!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I really like my ae2 but if I was buying a new brushed esc it'd be a brxl water proofed hands down. Pure adjustability, Holmes hold braking and, duh its waterproof!

Thats the main thing that has me sold on the holmes, except that its 50 dollars more than i can get the AE-2

on the other side of things i like helpin out the smaller guy (and neighbor) im in Kansas and holmes is in Missouri so its close lol

ahhh decisions! im no good at making them!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
No problem running the AE-2 with that motor and battery. I can't advise on the servo, but the AE-2 is rated at 2A on 2S, so you can always check HobbyPartz on the amp rating on the D772 Solar servo (if they list it).

I run the AE-2 ESC on 4 different trail trucks and have had no issues whatsoever with less than 200 oz-in servos on 2S.

thanks for the insight! either way though if i had problems with it the fix would be as easy as getting an external BEC right?

but then that puts me reeeeally close to the holmes price anyways and its got a 6a bec in it already..
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Look at it this way, do you plan on keeping the electronics around for a long time or selling them off when you get another rig? An ae2 is a standard issue here today, gone tomorrow esc that you can buy at most any hobby shop. That's not to say that it isn't a good piece, I'm very happy with mine but a Holmes esc is something I'd never trade off. It's well worth the extra cost.

If the only feature that has the Holmes above the ae2 is the waterproofing then just get the ae2 and a tube of shoe goo. Mine is coated nicely and still fits in the stock case, you'd never know it was waterproof until I dunked it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Look at it this way, do you plan on keeping the electronics around for a long time or selling them off when you get another rig? An ae2 is a standard issue here today, gone tomorrow esc that you can buy at most any hobby shop. That's not to say that it isn't a good piece, I'm very happy with mine but a Holmes esc is something I'd never trade off. It's well worth the extra cost.

If the only feature that has the Holmes above the ae2 is the waterproofing then just get the ae2 and a tube of shoe goo. Mine is coated nicely and still fits in the stock case, you'd never know it was waterproof until I dunked it.

true probably something i'd definately keep, thanks man good point
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

well just ordered the waterproofed brxl and 35t motor from Holmes! now the part i hate, the waiting game! boo!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If your considering getting the brxl, why would you even consider the ae2?

I know the price difference, however if you even contemplated the brxl, then there's no need to look at the ae2
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #10

I had an ae-2 for a week and wasn't impressed. I bought the brxl and 35t combo to replace the ae-2 and love it! It's like I have an all new servo
DaBomb6988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

brxl is da bomb!insane drag brake
cushdog58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I can't believe that no one mentioned that you can run up to 6 s on the brx. I run mine on 4 s and have tried it on 6s. The power alone is worth the extra cash..
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Yeah I went ahead and ordered the brxl 35t combo it should be here tomorrow or tuesday!

AE-2 or BRXL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRXL Giveaway & The Next Team Driver Contest - 1 RCC User will win a BRXL this week!! Locked Up General Crawlers 205 10-22-2012 10:49 AM
Brxl 666 Testing 1 2 3 0 02-08-2012 08:49 AM
BRXL help smokediver Electronics 13 06-09-2011 06:55 AM