RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   xl5 mod? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/432344-xl5-mod.html)

slim_chance 03-02-2013 09:33 PM

xl5 mod?

Ok I am dumb with what goes on inside an esc but has anyone here ever or has known someone to mod an xl5 esc to have a drag brake? The reason im asking is I just swapped from one xl5 to another that already had a deans plug on it so I could run my lipos. I had bought it used and had not run it in anything until now. Now my ax10 has drag brake! With the new one it will hold dead still on a steep incline where the old one would just roll Other than using the exact same modle esc and swapping to lipo nothing else has been changed.
So should I not look a gift horse in the mouth? Or could this be a sign of issues somewhere in my drive train?
I didnt run it long enough to see if the battery wore down too fast though.
Its also running a 55t motor that worked fine with the other esc.

rik 03-02-2013 09:48 PM

Re: xl5 mod?

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim_chance (Post 4209685)
Ok I am dumb with what goes on inside an esc but has anyone here ever or has known someone to mod an xl5 esc to have a drag brake? The reason im asking is I just swapped from one xl5 to another that already had a deans plug on it so I could run my lipos. I had bought it used and had not run it in anything until now. Now my ax10 has drag brake! With the new one it will hold dead still on a steep incline where the old one would just roll Other than using the exact same modle esc and swapping to lipo nothing else has been changed.
So should I not look a gift horse in the mouth? Or could this be a sign of issues somewhere in my drive train?
I didnt run it long enough to see if the battery wore down too fast though.
Its also running a 55t motor that worked fine with the other esc.

to my knowledge, an xl-5 can not be modded. might wanna look at your drive train.

jakester79 03-02-2013 09:54 PM

I work at a hobbyshop and have been dealing with the vxl systems for the last 2 years. In all my dealings I've never had one that didnt have something wrong with it to cause it to act like it has a drag brake. I'd scope out everything in your drivetrain and see if you feel any binding issues anywhere.... I'd be real carefull with binding issues that can wreak havoc on batteries and the ESC. Good Luck and feel free to post up any other questions you have.

Jeepster77 03-02-2013 10:29 PM

I have an xl5 in my scx10 and it acts the same way as you described

slim_chance 03-03-2013 12:25 PM

Its as I feared I guess. Well time to break out the WD40 grease and bearing oil. Og while I got my ax10 torn down would it be a good idea to throw a titan monster 550 motor in it. I happen to have a good one just laying around.

slim_chance 03-03-2013 10:11 PM

Ok turns out not to be an electronics issue after all. My wheel spacers in the rear where rubbing the lockouts. Added a small washer between the hex and spacer for a shim and all good.