Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What size cells?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #1

Default What size cells?

I was wondering what size battery cells you all are running? How much difference is there in run time from 2/3A to sub-c?
Ballistic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Start nosing throught the Electronics forum. This might help. It's a sticky at the top of that forum:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34048

Basically, a 3800 subC pack is gonna give you lots of runtime. AT LEAST and hour I'd say. 2/3A are usually around 1200-1400mah so your runtime will be about half or so... say around 45 minutes.

That's why lots of people use 2/3A on the TLT. 45 minutes is plenty and the weight savings also makes it that much better.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
I'm a stupid C U N T!

i run a 3000mah subc stick on my sw2. and 4200, on my tuber. subc's can handle higher discarge rates and have higher capacities. but they are much larger and heavier. even with 2/3 aa's people are still getting 30-45 min run times
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
06 Super National Champ

I use batteries that have the capacity and weight my rig needs. I typically don't consider run time when choosing batteries.

I saw some Super Class rigs at the Nationals that were running small packs (2/3A and Li-Pos). To me these larger rigs need some weight to perform well.

I have high capacity Li-Pos, but don't use them on my rigs...not even the 2.2 crawlers. When placed properly, sub-C packs have enough heft to them to increase performance. No sense in using a lighter battery only to find yourself adding/needing weight to gain performance.

Run time isn't an issue unless you plan on crawling all afternoon and is dependent on battery capacity...no matter the physical size of the cell. As Slobin said, Sub-C cells will handle higher discharge/charge rates.

I ran each 5 minute course at the Nationals and re-peaked my pack (Fusion 3300) between courses. After each course the pack accepted 580-600mAh. That's with a dual Mamba 25/Revolver system and dual Airtronics 94359Z servos...no RX pack.

I crawled my TLT with the Novak Crawler system for an hour and managed to use 1950mAh or so. You could make a run like that on Sub-Cs, Li-Pos, even 2500mAh Energizer AAs.

I've used both light (Li-Po, AA, and 2/3A) packs and the heavier Sub-C packs and, for me, the Sub-Cs have the advantage over the smaller, lighter packs.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
2006 2.2 National Champ

I agree with JIA, the extra weight helps IMO too. I like the weight of the standard stick packs I run. I ran all 3 courses at the Nationals with one battery in each rig, no topping off between courses. I use Venom's 3300 nimh stick packs.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
No sense in using a lighter battery only to find yourself adding/needing weight to gain performance.

Except you can put that weight back into the rig even lower in the tires.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That's my thoughts on the subject. I will use the sub-cs if I have to (like now, I'm having problems with my 2/3A cells from maxamps). I don't like how high the sub-Cs put my weight. I suppose I could make some packs to sit on top fo the axles, but I'd rather have it around the tires and I just can't do that with my 2.2s.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Except you can put that weight back into the rig even lower in the tires.

I'm under the knuckles with my weight as it is. ;)

I need to weigh my rig and calculate CG both front to rear and vertically. Should be interesting.

Remember, I'm referring to Super rigs with the small, light packs. I didn't see enough weight in those rigs to perform the way I like.

But I'm odd, I guess.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
But I'm odd, I guess.
Experience breads eccentricities:-P
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Good feedback here

hmmmm which sub C's or Gp2000's ?

17" super class

posti note
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

sub C under the knuckle IMO.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sub C's are a great cell to run given you have the space. under the knuckle is probably the best spot to put suck a big cell. I have learned after switching to the super class this season, that I want the bigger cells for the runtime. The 4/5A cells work great too, but have only managed to give me a max of 30mins on my clod. Keep it over 2000 Mah and you should be fine
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've used both light (Li-Po, AA, and 2/3A) packs and the heavier Sub-C packs and, for me, the Sub-Cs have the advantage over the smaller, lighter packs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
I agree with JIA, the extra weight helps IMO too. I like the weight of the standard stick packs I run. I ran all 3 courses at the Nationals with one battery in each rig, no topping off between courses. I use Venom's 3300 nimh stick packs.

Hmmm so the National Champs in both super & 2.2 use sub C cells... hmmm maybe time to rethink my AA packs...
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm running 9 2/3AA cells in my TLT to a 65t lathe, sub c's would be friggin' huge and heavy, lipo too expensive. I do plan to reconfigure my A123 packs and get an extra 2s1p mini pack, I'll try to add it to the same truck somehow......on top of the servo/top links maybe?
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote