RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Shipping Lipos to Canada? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/455466-shipping-lipos-canada.html)

alexchen86 07-30-2013 11:20 AM

Shipping Lipos to Canada?

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask....I am packaging a deal for a rig with 2 little 1550mah 2s lipos shipping USPS.

Besides packaging them securely with bubble wrap and inside whatever additional boxes I can find that small....would there be any additional fees? Or do I just let them know there are lipo batteries in the box?

Shipping is going to Canada by the way.

Thanks!
Alex

SINister 07-30-2013 11:23 AM

Re: Shipping Lipos to Canada?

Why tell them anything? Wrap them in bubble wrap and ship it.

EddieO 07-30-2013 11:41 AM

Shipping Lipos by any form of Airmail is illegal currently. Its a $45,000 fine last I read if caught, more if they cause an accident.

Later EddieO

k7zpj 07-30-2013 12:11 PM

The international shipment of Lithium batteries using USPS is prohibited.
IMM Revision: Outbound International Mailings of Lithium Batteries and Other Dangerous Goods

Szczerba 07-30-2013 12:17 PM

I wouldn't chance it.

Just refund the buyer the estimated cost of the lipo(s).

ittybitty 07-30-2013 12:20 PM

Or charge a few bucks more and send everything OR just the lipos with UPS or a similar carrier.

UPS
http://www.ups.com/media/news/en/int...egulations.pdf

FedEx
http://images.fedex.com/downloads/jp...Chart_2013.pdf

alexchen86 07-31-2013 11:30 AM

Wow thanks for the reply guys. I remember reading about shipping via USPS lipos is a no no. Looks like I'll be using UPS.

Is there an additional surcharge for shipping out a pair of 1800mah 2s lipos with my sale?

Looking over the UPS Lithium Battery Regulations page doesn't show any mention of additional costs.

k7zpj 07-31-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexchen86 (Post 4420430)
Wow thanks for the reply guys. I remember reading about shipping via USPS lipos is a no no. Looks like I'll be using UPS.

Is there an additional surcharge for shipping out a pair of 1800mah 2s lipos with my sale?

Looking over the UPS Lithium Battery Regulations page doesn't show any mention of additional costs.

You have to pack the batteries according to the instructions in the UPS shipping batteries doc, fill out the "Lithium Battery Safety Document for International Air Shipments" and have the Lithium Battery Warning label on your package.

When I shipped batteries, I was charged $8.50 for the additional handling fee in addition to the regular charges to ship the package.

Here are some of the links I used last time I shipped and has info on the requirements.

http://www.ups.com/media/news/en/shipping_batteries.pdf
http://www.ups.com/media/news/en/lit...safety_doc.pdf
http://www.ups.com/media/en/addition...rges_daily.pdf

YJ_Driver 08-01-2013 01:16 PM

Note that when using UPS to Canada (and maybe other countries) the receiver will be charged tons of fees such as brokerage, bond and COD, ... These fees can often add up to 50% or more of the value of the goods, which may not be worthwhile for him to get them shipped at all.

UPS doesn't make it obvious, for example you have to be on the receiver's country site rather than the shipper's, so here's the link for Canada:
UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada

This is why all vendors who want to sell to us Canucks should use USPS :)

Krawler Kev 08-01-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ_Driver (Post 4422143)
Note that when using UPS to Canada (and maybe other countries) the receiver will be charged tons of fees such as brokerage, bond and COD, ... These fees can often add up to 50% or more of the value of the goods, which may not be worthwhile for him to get them shipped at all.

UPS doesn't make it obvious, for example you have to be on the receiver's country site rather than the shipper's, so here's the link for Canada:
UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada

This is why all vendors who want to sell to us Canucks should use USPS :)

This is very true, but I also know that if you ship UPS Air that the brokerage fees disappear."thumbsup"

dittohead 08-01-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawler Kev (Post 4422159)
This is very true, but I also know that if you ship UPS Air that the brokerage fees disappear."thumbsup"

Have you done this more then a few times with the same results? Ive been hit hard by brokerage fees in the past ($100 fees for $80 worth of parts once) and ill never use any other carrier then usps, but if there is a way around the fees and i can get my parts fast id be willing to try ups air

alexchen86 11-26-2013 07:56 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but it may help some sellers. I shipped UPS showed them the lipos I was shipping 3 1100mah packs and I think a 1550mah pack as well. All were put into storage mode. All were bubble wrapped. I had also snipped the negative wire and wrapped it up nice and snug with a bunch of electrical tape first then duct tape.

These were obviously soft packs. I also put them in the same boxes they came in so they fit snug as a bug. Then in the big box with my Losi Mini 8ight I was selling I left the box open for the UPS guys to see how I wrapped them and they were fine with it.

I have tons more lipos to sell mostly soft pack....but these are in the 5000mah 3s and 4s range. Any ideas?

OTHGbronco82 11-26-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexchen86 (Post 4420430)

I shipped a SC10 with a 2s lipo and nothing happened to me. Is there anything dangerous in there? No. Thinking in the back of my head, yes if you don't be careful with it.:twisted: But mine was going back east, so...

EverettY 11-27-2013 02:28 AM

I've sold and shipped lots of big lipo packs soft and hardcase... And I've always shipped them USPS never had an issue... Never knew that it was prohibited by USPS though...

k7zpj 11-27-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverettY (Post 4564876)
I've sold and shipped lots of big lipo packs soft and hardcase... And I've always shipped them USPS never had an issue... Never knew that it was prohibited by USPS though...

The international ban on shipping Lithium batteries by air took effect on Jan 1 2013. USPS also put in place restrictions on shipping lithium batteries inside the USA. All carriers require that any packages shipped with Lithium batteries be marked on the outside of the package with this warning: "Lithium Batteries—Forbidden for Transportation Aboard Passenger Aircraft".

As EddieO pointed out earlier in the thread that the fine for the first offense of shipping Lithium batteries in a way that could result being shipped on a passenger plane is up to $45,000.

You can still travel with Lipo batteries if they are in carry on luggage (Not Checked).

alexchen86 11-28-2013 05:20 AM

I guess it's better than bringing nitro fuel lol

mammoth 11-28-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawler Kev (Post 4422159)

Can you post a link to the type shipping you used.
Both times I got stuff through ups I got hit hard. one item was worgh 30 bucks and they wanted 80 in brokerage fees. I told them to keep it and off it went with them. I eventually got a credit back from where I purchased it as they returned it to them. Now what did that cost? I bet it was alot cheaper than the 80 they were trying to charge me. Someone also told me to complain and they would reduce the cost but haven't tried that.

Because of that I only ship usps and try to keep the cost down so I don't get hit with duty. Under 200 seems to be the magic number.

Krawler Kev 11-28-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammoth (Post 4566656)
Can you post a link to the type shipping you used.
Both times I got stuff through ups I got hit hard. one item was worgh 30 bucks and they wanted 80 in brokerage fees. I told them to keep it and off it went with them. I eventually got a credit back from where I purchased it as they returned it to them. Now what did that cost? I bet it was alot cheaper than the 80 they were trying to charge me. Someone also told me to complain and they would reduce the cost but haven't tried that.

Because of that I only ship usps and try to keep the cost down so I don't get hit with duty. Under 200 seems to be the magic number.

In order to avoid the duties/brokerage I have always asked that the seller mark the pacakage as TOY CAR PARTS. Any package that I have received marked like this I haven't had to pay anything.

The UPS air freight comment was from one of our club members, T3rry. Try PM'ing T3rry to find out the details.

alexchen86 11-28-2013 11:25 PM

When I shipped out my mini Losi 8ight with a 3 lipos carefully wrapped and separately boxed within my packing peanut filled box with a disassembled mini buggy they were more interested in looking at the RC tires. What a bunch if morons.

Either way yes mark it as toy car that was what I was informed to do as well selling into Canada.