Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: installing a switch question........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default installing a switch question........

I am putting in a switch to cut power to my servo winch that creeps, plus it is part of a rear winch set up when I cross that bridge....I have a center off switch that goes to each side R - L....since I have only 3 channel's on my TX and want to run two servo winches front and rear, with this switch I can power one or the other servo for F or R winch depending what side I throw the switch to F or R....

ok now which wire is best to add switch to, +positive or -ground wire ?? THX ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: installing a switch question........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
I am putting in a switch to cut power to my servo winch that creeps, plus it is part of a rear winch set up when I cross that bridge....I have a center off switch that goes to each side R - L....since I have only 3 channel's on my TX and want to run two servo winches front and rear, with this switch I can power one or the other servo for F or R winch depending what side I throw the switch to F or R....

ok now which wire is best to add switch to, +positive or -ground wire ?? THX ....
Based on what I've read, in other threads, and what I believe JRH would do (#whatwouldJRHdo), I'm going to say -ground wire for $20.00 Bob...
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would personally use a 2P3T (2 pole 3 position) switch. You can the cut both positive and negative to each servo rather than just positive or negative.

The 3 position will also let you have no power going to any of the winches. It will be either front, rear or no winch.

If you use a 3P3T switch you can wire it in to use the same controller on either the front or rear winch and cut power and signal to the winches.

Last edited by jaloos; 10-08-2013 at 09:17 AM.
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

yeah my thought was with the switch I have it will power front or rear winch when I get rear winch done, or shut power down to each servo then in the center off position....I want Y link the two signal wires to my 3rd channel together for the two winches when times comes....

now I can use this switch as an on off power switch for now on front winch only....when I do have front rear winches on and running the signal wires from each linked to my 3rd channel should not hurt, my thought if one servo has no power signal going to it won't matter....

this way when I switch to front or rear servo winch I can use same channel for both servo winches ....I have not heard of this being done or being done and not working....
Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah I kinda over complicated things. Forgot it was a servo winch and did not need a controller as well.

From the sounds of it your idea should work just fine.

I would be more comfortable if it was me to cut/switch both pos and neg at the same time though.
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

I have had a switch in the positive (red) wire for many years now on Guido's winch. It has worked flawlessly.

Like you I debated on the red or black wire and decided to switch the red so that the wire to the winch was not hot when I wanted the winch off. I have no better reason than that.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

hey buddy

here is the picture to show what I have done on my C1 mini cooper.

I use the on-off-on switch, so u can wire up the winch controller in the middle +/-. then wire the winch on either left or right side.

so, I got HeyOk winch controller in the middle, servo winch on right side and 3racing winch on the left side.

rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It doesn't matter if you interrupt positive or negative in this case. Both will do the job.

I typically interrupt positive and leave negative connected, unless the circuit calls for another method. For example, if you built this out of N channel FETs instead of a switch you would cut negative.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I have had a switch in the positive (red) wire for many years now on Guido's winch. It has worked flawlessly.

Like you I debated on the red or black wire and decided to switch the red so that the wire to the winch was not hot when I wanted the winch off. I have no better reason than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
It doesn't matter if you interrupt positive or negative in this case. Both will do the job.

I typically interrupt positive and leave negative connected, unless the circuit calls for another method. For example, if you built this out of N channel FETs instead of a switch you would cut negative.
One advantage of killing the power (+) wire is, if you have a short in the servo, it's dead and not draining the battery or doing other odd things.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

hey thx guys, yeah i'm going to go with the positive to the switch ....

installing a switch question........ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On/Off switch question. RCGecko Newbie General 9 03-15-2012 08:24 AM
Futaba 4PK - switch question nos2k Electronics 13 10-16-2011 09:32 AM
RC4WD's R2 Dig installing question Aurora Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 08-05-2008 12:38 PM
Mamba max switch question. Stburr91 Electronics 2 07-21-2008 03:30 PM
TQ3 Switch question Custom Trendz Inc. Electronics 4 06-26-2006 09:11 PM