RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Axial Wraith AE-2 ESC Question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/471957-axial-wraith-ae-2-esc-question.html)

Brad85 12-01-2013 11:49 PM

Axial Wraith AE-2 ESC Question

I've been running my Wraith with a couple NiMH batteries I had and it has been working great, but I'm considering switching to Lipo. I've checked all the setup docs from Axial but can't seem to find the one piece of info I'm looking for. Is th AE-2 esc able to be switched back and forth from NiMH to Lipo without reprogramming or is there some type of setup change I need to do? I have a Dynamite esc in another rig that has to be switched before changing battery chemistry but I didn't know if the Axial was the same way. Thanks in advance!

OnceWasBooker 12-02-2013 04:02 AM

Re: Axial Wraith AE-2 ESC Question

I used mine today with both NimH and LiPo batteries and its fine! You have may have to reprogram the LVC, but if you have an external alarm you don't have to worry about that.

axial 4x4 crawler 12-03-2013 10:47 AM

Man you need a Castle link, just go in on the computer and program it to handle 2s voltage or 7.4v, but keep in mind that voltage cut off should be around 6.4 for the entire pack or 3.2 volts per pack. It is very unwise to run a nimh and then running a lipo pack with out reseting the esc. Just do what everyone else does and reset it every time, if you want it to be simple get a esc extension to get to it faster. I run a 3s lipo in mine with a RS tekin and a 10.5t redline motor, so I know what I am talking about, get a castle link and turn the voltage cut off to 3.2 per unless you want to screw up a esc, its you choice, - axial 4x4 crawler

Zion 12-03-2013 11:11 PM

I'm think the esc is made by castle and yes it dose work with castle link. But stock settings of that esc are set to auto lipo. With all of castle stuff I have used like the sidewinder the mmp are factory set that way. It can detect witch cell lipo batteries you are using and adjust to the right cut off depending on what cell you are use. For each cell the stock setting in my ae-2 was set to 3.2v cut off per cell. So if you had a 2s batterie the cut off is 6.4v. The esc dose not need to be change from auto lipo to run nimh like you dynamite. I also have a dynamite and know what you are thinking about. The cut off will not come on for a nimh batterie. Castle link is a great tool to have but if you got your esc brand new and know that no one has played with the setting running a lipo is ok. I don't remember if the ae-2 could do 3s but I ran 2s and nimh just fine.

TacoCrawler 12-04-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zion (Post 4573794)
stock settings of that esc are set to auto lipo.

he's right...

the CC link is needed to make changes to the ae-2
I run my drag brake set to max...
and reverse is instant on.

there are other things can be adjusted...
but don't remember what they are.

again... you would need the CC link to make adjustments to the ae-2 esc.

Johnnysplits 12-04-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

I don't remember if the ae-2 could do 3s

It does. I run one in one of my rigs on 3s but you have to use a separate bec...can't use the internal one.

k7zpj 12-04-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad85 (Post 4571208)
I've been running my Wraith with a couple NiMH batteries I had and it has been working great, but I'm considering switching to Lipo. I've checked all the setup docs from Axial but can't seem to find the one piece of info I'm looking for. Is th AE-2 esc able to be switched back and forth from NiMH to Lipo without reprogramming or is there some type of setup change I need to do? I have a Dynamite esc in another rig that has to be switched before changing battery chemistry but I didn't know if the Axial was the same way. Thanks in advance!

You can program the Lipo cut off setting with you radio. This link has the instructions for manual programming of the AE-2.
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...e_AE-2_ESC.pdf

silvr_tung_devl 12-04-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits (Post 4573889)
It does. I run one in one of my rigs on 3s but you have to use a separate bec...can't use the internal one.

X2 on this...3s is all I run.

Quote:

.....stock settings of that esc are set to auto lipo. With all of castle stuff I have used like the sidewinder the mmp are factory set that way. It can detect witch cell lipo batteries you are using and adjust to the right cut off depending on what cell you are use. For each cell the stock setting in my ae-2 was set to 3.2v cut off per cell. So if you had a 2s batterie the cut off is 6.4v.

Another thing I've encountered is by leaving the AE-2 set to auto cut-off, is my charger won't recognize my packs if they're ran to the cut-off. Not sure if theres a setting in my charger or not, but I ended up doing a custom cut off setting to 10v on the esc and everything is fine.

I'd also suggest picking up a castle link! Very handy tool to have!!;-)

fish-hunter 12-04-2013 08:38 PM

If you go to 3s batteries you need to run a bec. If not everything will see pack voltage which is way more than it should be with out using a bec.

Charlie-III 12-04-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish-hunter (Post 4575008)
If you go to 3S batteries you need to run a BEC. If not everything will see pack voltage which is way more than it should be with out using a BEC.

??:roll:

The issue is that at 3S input power, the internal ESC BEC is overworked and will create heat issues with any real load on it. Thus the recommendation to run an external BEC, especially with heavy loads like high torque servos.
On 2S input power, the load on the internal BEC is not as great, thus less of an issue.