Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: battery mounting using a magnet problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default battery mounting using a magnet problem

I have built a flat plate behind the front servo to sit the receiver pack onto. The receiver pack is one of the plastic cases that holds the four batteries within. Underneath the receiver pack I wish to fasten a small rectangular piece of metal. This piece of metal will then sit on top of a rectangular magnet that is stuck to the metal plate that I have made that is located behind the servo. The magnet is not a large one. It is one of the kind that you might find on a cupboard door to help keep it closed.

My question is this.

Will the magnetism in the magnet affect the performance of the batteries in any way, or will I be able to continue safely with the installation.

My reasoning for the magnet is that it is strong enough to hold the receiver pack and it is also easy to remove the pack to change the batteries without buggering about with cable ties or velcro.

Thankyou
Tronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Shouldn't be a problem. Magnets in motors produce much stronger fields, and don't hurt batteries any. Just make sure your pack is wrapped well so it doesn't short out on the metal.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

wouldnt industrial velcro be easier and lighter?
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

never tried magnets, although if you take a hard drive apart the magnets in those things have some serious magnetism. anyway, i use industrial velcro for my esc's and reciever's since i tend to swap a bit. never had any problems with it, except when pulling out my cheapo tamiya kit esc the case broke and now every once in awhile when im crawling or running the circuit board pops out and dangles all over. im waiting for it to short out against the chassis or somthing for an excuse to buy another. anywho, to make a short answer long, id go with industrial velcro. oh yeah, and now i use a credit card to slide inbetween the velcro as i pull. capital one is more than just in my wallet!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the velcro. The receiver pack tends to rock about and catch the front of the chassis when it articulates. The receiver pack has about 1/8 of an inch clearence that is why I needed a solid mounting.

Thanks for your replies
Tronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
I lost my vendor privileges

GOOD OLD ZIP TIES. perminate enough.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote