RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   spectrum 3 position help (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/481102-spectrum-3-position-help.html)

jh1985 01-31-2014 03:47 PM

spectrum 3 position help

I have a dx5e and channel 5 is off and on. I want to add a 3 posiion switch. Im very good with elecectronics and wiring. so nothing is too hard. Im just not sure how it would work. Has anybody done this???

Thankyou. even if you know how some one did a different radio I might be able to use a similar process.
If i figure this out ill be making a step by step for others.

ps I know how to use arduino, pwm, oscillascope. Im no pro tho thats why i figure Id ask for help.

mwhite17 01-31-2014 08:42 PM

Re: spectrum 3 position help

I have literally sat here for the last hour pondering your debacle here and can honestly say this is a tuffy...
You may be able to accomplish this with if/then statements but I could see problems with this.
I found this Easy, Reversible Motor Control for Arduino (or any Microcontroller)
but depending on what you are wanting to control you may need different setups.

I hope this helps or maybe sparks your creativity, if I think of anything else I will post it up!

jh1985 01-31-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhite17 (Post 4653297)
I have literally sat here for the last hour pondering your debacle here and can honestly say this is a tuffy...
You may be able to accomplish this with if/then statements but I could see problems with this.
I found this Easy, Reversible Motor Control for Arduino (or any Microcontroller)
but depending on what you are wanting to control you may need different setups.

I hope this helps or maybe sparks your creativity, if I think of anything else I will post it up!

That could help. Thats one of my favorite sites. Im thinking winch or dual function lights. I really Just want the availability and so others can do it without going through what I am. The new version comes with a 3 pos.
I did learn that my trainer switch controlls channel 6 so this is actually a six channel radio. Just need to keep in mind you need the trainer for binding.
Im gonna test the channel to find out if its proprotional or not. If it is I can do it. If not Ill have to make an arduino controller for the truck.

TOMCAT18T 01-31-2014 11:18 PM

noy really familiar with that Tx but it sounds like your fifth channel is 2 position.
If so this may help...http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendo...d-channel.html

-

Awesome-Sauce RC 02-01-2014 01:04 AM

best thing to do is open it up and spend some time with a multimeter and trace the pcb from the switch to see how they have interfaced it.

i did this with my DX3E and added the ability to use the aux channel as a true 3 pos or flip back to the spektrum style, what i found was that both of the buttons for the switch actually went back to one single pin on the microchip pic that spektrum used on the pcb.

the switch input rests high at 3.3v when no switch has been pressed i assume using the chips internal pullups as there were no external ones i could see following the pin and is pulled to ground through a 1% 10k resistor for switch up and pulled to ground through a 1% 5.6k for switch down.

either they have done something similar on that pcb but only wired in a 2p switch with the potential for a 3p later or that it is only capable of detecting a 2p switch being pulled high or low.

good luck

tony

jh1985 02-21-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_g (Post 4653597)
best thing to do is open it up and spend some time with a multimeter and trace the pcb from the switch to see how they have interfaced it.

i did this with my DX3E and added the ability to use the aux channel as a true 3 pos or flip back to the spektrum style, what i found was that both of the buttons for the switch actually went back to one single pin on the microchip pic that spektrum used on the pcb.

the switch input rests high at 3.3v when no switch has been pressed i assume using the chips internal pullups as there were no external ones i could see following the pin and is pulled to ground through a 1% 10k resistor for switch up and pulled to ground through a 1% 5.6k for switch down.

either they have done something similar on that pcb but only wired in a 2p switch with the potential for a 3p later or that it is only capable of detecting a 2p switch being pulled high or low.

good luck

tony

I did as you suggested and its only capable of detecting hi and low. Its 3.3 volt and it grounds out when you switch it. No way to add resistors to drop voltage the radio cant detect different voltage on that channel. I am going to use one of the sticks that i am not using. I locked the left stick in place so it only goes right to left then moved the potentiometer to a different place put a knob on it so i can control my winch at different speeds with 1 finger. Works great. im using channel 5 for lights. Just need to get a light controller for it.