RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   MRC Motor Issue (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/481757-mrc-motor-issue.html)

OTHGbronco82 02-04-2014 05:57 PM

MRC Motor Issue

So I was out in the backyard screwing around with my MRC and then all of a sudden it stops. Still has steering but won't move forward or backwards. My set up is a CC sidewinder micro, CC bec, team brood frenzy motor, and a hitec 5645 all being controlled by a MX-3FG. If I give it a nudge and apply throttle it'll move forward. But if I try this with reverse it won't move at all. I can't even get it to roll with my foot. I have no idea what's going on or how to fix it. It worked last time I ran it.:???:

iluvdrt 02-04-2014 08:16 PM

Re: MRC Motor Issue

Sounds like the brushes is the motor are toast. Time to penny up and buy a new motor.

OTHGbronco82 02-04-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdrt (Post 4659170)
Sounds like the brushes is the motor are toast. Time to penny up and buy a new motor.

I'll have to take a look at the brushes. I haven't used this motor that much though. I do have a brushless system for it though. Eh, it was only $20 for the motor so not to big a deal if it pooped out on me.

iluvdrt 02-05-2014 10:54 AM

I never had much luck with the brood motors. I think he uses very soft brushes and comms.

EddieO 02-05-2014 06:27 PM

Soft comms? Copper is copper, not really such thing as a soft comm or a hard one. The copper type is the same as any other comm out there.

They are fairly soft brushes, so when stuff starts to go bad, they will give way faster than a hard brush....however they are better at preventing stuff from going bad in the first place. They are machine wound motor from a factory that no longer exists, as the owner died....didn't design the unit, just found something that works....and was a good deal.

I've ran my grabbed from the box not even broken in Frenzy in my MRC for over a year without an issue. Even dunked it through water a few times...still ran.

A few things to remember about the MRC.

1. The stock gearing sucks, its way to high. The spur gear mod is simple and gets you a much better ratio for any motor. (search for people who have done it)
2. The drivetrain in an MRC isn't the smoothest thing in the world. It's hard on motors....when it doubt flip it over, as it will eat any motor for lunch if given the chance.
3. The MRC is not a race truck....some people like to drive it like it is. When combined with the bad stock gearing and unforgiving drivetrain, smoking a motor WILL happen.

Its possible you smoked the arm. Not saying you did anything wrong, its just a fairly unforgiving truck towards motors (only the wraith beats it in motor destroyed count).

I would pull the brushes out, see what they look like....if they looked burnt, probably toasted the arm....time for another motor.

Later EddieO

OTHGbronco82 02-05-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieO (Post 4660452)
Soft comms? Copper is copper, not really such thing as a soft comm or a hard one. The copper type is the same as any other comm out there.

They are fairly soft brushes, so when stuff starts to go bad, they will give way faster than a hard brush....however they are better at preventing stuff from going bad in the first place. They are machine wound motor from a factory that no longer exists, as the owner died....didn't design the unit, just found something that works....and was a good deal.

I've ran my grabbed from the box not even broken in Frenzy in my MRC for over a year without an issue. Even dunked it through water a few times...still ran.

A few things to remember about the MRC.

1. The stock gearing sucks, its way to high. The spur gear mod is simple and gets you a much better ratio for any motor. (search for people who have done it)
2. The drivetrain in an MRC isn't the smoothest thing in the world. It's hard on motors....when it doubt flip it over, as it will eat any motor for lunch if given the chance.
3. The MRC is not a race truck....some people like to drive it like it is. When combined with the bad stock gearing and unforgiving drivetrain, smoking a motor WILL happen.

Its possible you smoked the arm. Not saying you did anything wrong, its just a fairly unforgiving truck towards motors (only the wraith beats it in motor destroyed count).

I would pull the brushes out, see what they look like....if they looked burnt, probably toasted the arm....time for another motor.

Later EddieO

Cool, so I have a check list of what I need to look at. Should be able to do it tomorrow. I really need to do the spur mod and I'll probably end up ordering another motor from you just as a back up. I was just kinda stumped and pissed off when it happened.:roll: Thanks for the help guys.