RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   can anybody reccomend a HobbyKing charger? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/504855-can-anybody-reccomend-hobbyking-charger.html)

LoneRanger 08-12-2014 07:59 AM

can anybody reccomend a HobbyKing charger?

I am looking to get an upgraded charger (finally) since I am grabbing a few batteries, and some odds and ends I thought I would ask here~

L.R. 8)

LoneRanger 08-12-2014 05:25 PM

Re: can anybody reccomend a HobbyKing charger?

Anyone?

L.R.

sic1to 08-12-2014 05:51 PM

This is not a bad lil charger for the price!!! I have a few but like this one for on the go charging...
TowerHobbies.com | Hitec X1+ Single Port AC/DC Charger

SDheavymetal 08-12-2014 06:08 PM

This one is also good. A/C or DC.
Up to 6 amps.
Check out the video.
Thunder AC680 Professional Dual-Power LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

Wade 08-12-2014 06:18 PM

/\ /\ /\

And it's on sale now. "thumbsup"

Brainanator 08-12-2014 06:50 PM

^^ the AC680 is a solid charger. Most of the chargers from China (and even most from USA brands) are all pretty much the same. If the internals are different, most run the same firmware anyway.
I run 2 chargers, a Turnigy Accucel-6 50W, and a Hobbyking ECO6-10.

For 2S and 3S, 50W is fine if you plan on staying at 5A or less. I charge most my batteries at higher rates when I'm in the field, so I really like the extra power of the 200W charger. If you're going over 3S, get more than a 50W charger for sure.

The 2 chargers I linked to don't have power supplies. So you'll have to find your own source of 12V power. I recommend a server power supply. Super easy to convert to a 12V 47A supply, for ~$20

Olle P 08-13-2014 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainanator (Post 4862846)
... If you're going over 3S, get more than a 50W charger for sure.

Why? It's the battery's stored energy that's the limiting factor, which in turn is pretty much proportional to the battery's physical size.

My 50W charger is plenty for charging a 4S battery at 1A.
2S 5.0A or 4S 2.5A doesn't matter, it's the same power and the same size batteries.

robertjpjr 08-13-2014 06:01 AM

I've got 2 of the hobbyking eco 6-10 chargers. They both work great on 2s. They whine while charging 3s batteries over 6 amps or so.
I even replaced the caps inside as recommended on another forum. To no avail. I can't say how the charger behaves on 4-6s but mine got so hot charging a 3s that the coil inside desoldered itself. A quick fix but this charger has issues with high amp charging.
That being said I like it better that my turnigy 50watt charger and the eco 6-10 remains my main charger.
+1 to converting PC power supplies !!

LoneRanger 08-13-2014 06:18 AM

sic1to, my buddy uses that charger and I think its pretty nice. The HK chargers are just so inexpensive! I will look into the 2 recommendations.

L.R.

HDMM 08-13-2014 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDheavymetal (Post 4862791)

Excellent charger and can't really beat the price, I ran one for almost 3 years with no issues at all. The only reason I don't use it anymore is because I went up to a 4 port charger.

Brainanator 08-13-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olle P (Post 4863206)
Why? It's the battery's stored energy that's the limiting factor, which in turn is pretty much proportional to the battery's physical size.

My 50W charger is plenty for charging a 4S battery at 1A.
2S 5.0A or 4S 2.5A doesn't matter, it's the same power and the same size batteries.

*if you want to charge them at 1C I suppose I should have clarified. Taking all night to charge a big 4S-6S lipo at 50W might be fine for some, but when you have multiple of those batteries, the wait times add up quick.

As you say, more than 50W isn't required to charge them.

Olle P 08-14-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainanator (Post 4863919)
... Taking all night to charge a big 4S-6S lipo at 50W might be fine for some...

Big 6S LiPo is totally irrelevant for crawlers.
I think there are very few that use batteries holding more than 45VAh (2S 6Ah, 3S 4Ah or 4S 3Ah) for their crawlers. Such batteries can be charged at 1C using less than 50W.
My biggest batteries hold less than 15VAh, and typical competition type batteries are 10VAh or less.

Charging 100% of capacity at 1C (nominal) takes only three and a half hours. The last of those hours is just gravy topping up the last few percents.
One can favourably reduce the charge time by stop charging at 4.1V/cell. The battery is then filled to ~90%, and if this method is used consistently the battery life time (number of times it can be recharged) gets about doubled compared to if charging to 4.2V/cell.

Charging with a higher current will reduce the battery's life time and charging at lower current (down to 0.5C) will increase it.

Brainanator 08-14-2014 01:32 PM

I will see myself out of this thread. Please purchase the smallest wattage charger you can find, and charge only one battery at a time, overnight.
I solidly recommended the 50W with built in power supply in my first post. It will suffice. I got by with just a 50W for years, as many people do.