Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Well versed RC guys help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Well versed RC guys help

Hello,

I'm starting a build from scratch for those who haven't read my newbie thread. Mechanical stuff is my area of expertise, but the electronics is where I lack. I read a thread on here stating that the mamba max pro was the best ESC for crawlers. The thread was made over 3 years ago. Are these still the best ones for crawlers or have they been replaced by newer models already?

Also would like to know what motors will net me the most torque for longer durations. I will be running a dual motor setup for more weight. The dual motor setup means I can run weaker motors, which means a longer battery life correct? Or does the power come from the batteries?

I know enough to make myself sound really stupid, so enlighten me lol.

Thanks,
Tech
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Well versed RC guys help

Comp rig or scaler?

IMO best advice is to read some newer build threads way to many options/combos.

Last edited by tapped-out; 08-26-2015 at 05:51 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

This is just something I'm doing for fun. So scaler I assume.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 12:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Mamba Max Pro is still up there, for brushless motors.
You should use a brushed motor and then there are several cheaper ESCs to pick from: Tekin Fx-r is small and good. Castle Sidewinder have some good reviews. Holmes BR-XL is great. ... and there are quite a few more contenders.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I love the castle stuff with the link you can change just about anything. sidewinder is cheaper and good for lighter rigs 3s or less. mmp is for anything up to 6s.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Why would you want to run 2 brushed motors when there are much better options with plenty of power using a single motor. I think your making things way more complicated.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

High torque, long durations, you will probably want a single brushless motor. You can easily add weight elsewhere to regain those 6 or 7 ounces.

The most popular combos we sell are MMP controllers and roc412 motors, or Holmes BLE controllers with 540S or 540 Puller Pro motors. 2200 to 3500kv ranges are where it's at.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Keep it simple is the way to go. Like the others said, there are some great ESC's and Motors out there now that will be more than enough to power your rig.

What scale will your rig be? How heavy do you expect the rig to be? Do you want a fast or slow truck? Answer these and we can help narrow down your choices.
joe.bielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Its a 1/10 scale.
I'm going for a slow, heavy setup for traction with lots of torque.
As far as what I'm expecting how heavy it should be or what I'd want, I can't answer that just yet. But my goal is to have one act as close to a realistic rock crawler as possible.

I've been going through some of the threads, I found one on the gt3b that one of the members can "hack". Sounded fairly simple and extremely inexpensive compared to the others I've looked at. Thoughts on those radios?

I didn't even think about adding dead weight instead of a two motor setup. The rig will see rock, sand, mud and water. (I live by a lake) Brushed motors dislike all of this more so than a brushless motor, correct?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Ok, here's my suggestion, go with a brushed setup. Brushless is great for faster trucks but you don't get the nice, fine control at low speed. ive run my brushed motors in everything. Totally submerged, sand, snow, dirt. The only thing it didn't like was really muddy water. But then I just took it apart and cleaned it out. For good low end torque and control maybe a 45T motor. Then you can play around with the gearing for sped or torque. Holmes hobbies motors are the best you can buy. Older integy motors are good and dirt cheap. The newer ones are crappier quality. For the ESC, try to find a used castle sidewinder V3, it's also water proof and will do both brushed and brushless. This also lets you run 2 cell or 3 cell batteries. Most run small 3 cell batteries and gear low. Great power and torque. I used to run a 2 cell 5000mah battery on a 45T motor and that gave me decent wheel speed (just faster than a walking speed), more than enough torque (twisted all my plastic drive shafts) and hours of run time on one battery (I'd get bored after 2 hours and still have loads of battery left).

Hope this helps
joe.bielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.bielski View Post
Ok, here's my suggestion, go with a brushed setup. Brushless is great for faster trucks but you don't get the nice, fine control at low speed. ive run my brushed motors in everything. Totally submerged, sand, snow, dirt. The only thing it didn't like was really muddy water. But then I just took it apart and cleaned it out. For good low end torque and control maybe a 45T motor. Then you can play around with the gearing for sped or torque. Holmes hobbies motors are the best you can buy. Older integy motors are good and dirt cheap. The newer ones are crappier quality. For the ESC, try to find a used castle sidewinder V3, it's also water proof and will do both brushed and brushless. This also lets you run 2 cell or 3 cell batteries. Most run small 3 cell batteries and gear low. Great power and torque. I used to run a 2 cell 5000mah battery on a 45T motor and that gave me decent wheel speed (just faster than a walking speed), more than enough torque (twisted all my plastic drive shafts) and hours of run time on one battery (I'd get bored after 2 hours and still have loads of battery left).

Hope this helps
This helped a lot. Like I said I know enough to sound really stupid on electronics lol.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

you will probably use a hi torque servo, so you will probably end up using a bec to feed that servo.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Here is the "lowdown"

ESC-----Castle creations sidewinder or MMP
Motor-----Holmes Hobbies
Servo----Hitec
BEC---castle creations
As far as "runtimes" I wouldn't be too concerned, Lipos are really cheap grab a few charge'm........ run'm....... and have fun'm

Now this is just my opinion,,,,,,,but its a good one

Last edited by Wade; 08-28-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Ok, what size battery? there are 11.1V and 7.4V lipos im seeing, do I just find one that'll fit?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

11.1 is (3s) a 7.4 is (2s) with a 3s you will most likely break more parts over time but you will have a smile from ear to ear. 3s will be faster, the MaH size is what determines the length of run time. I prefer using smaller batteries like 2200 mah 3s, it only takes a few seconds to change a battery but that is just me. Some people will buy a 5000 mah and run for a decent time. I just prefer running smaller batteries. The saying goes volt up gear down.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote

Well versed RC guys help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you guys do lwb Sami Chit Chat 49 02-08-2010 07:44 PM
any computer guys? how bout bronco guys? Bronco Fetish Chit Chat 10 09-11-2006 05:48 PM