Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Light questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Light questions.

Looking into putting some lights on my Hilux bodied SCX10. Had a couple questions.

1) If I get one of these 4.8 to 6v light controllers can I plug the lights directly into the 3rd channel or aux port on my receiver? Or will it only work when the 3rd channel is activated?

2) Is there a popular brand light controller out there that is preferred or recommended?
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #2

Default Re: Light questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
Looking into putting some lights on my Hilux bodied SCX10. Had a couple questions.

1) If I get one of these 4.8 to 6v light controllers can I plug the lights directly into the 3rd channel or aux port on my receiver? Or will it only work when the 3rd channel is activated?

2) Is there a popular brand light controller out there that is preferred or recommended?
I'm in the same boat man. The only controllers I could find are ones that flashed or had turn signals. Couldn't find any that I could use with a switch and have all on at one time. So what I'm doing is splicing all the lights together and plugging them into my receiver which has a 6 volt adjustable bec to it. I'm hoping this works but we will find out soon enough. No matter what you do with led lights you will need a bec or the led will not be bright enough to see crap. So once you get that bec any controller that has the options you want will work off a switch if your tx has an open switch. The bec will make the receiver a constant voltage and with the castle you can adjust it to the volts you want. You can also run it off a separate battery so your main battery only powers your motor.

Don't quote me on this but I think what I said is correct from what I understand.
TraumaChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes, you can plug it right in. The receiver will only provide power.

Quote:
Depends on what function(s) you want. HeyOK does some nice controllers with less common options, but for the regular ones you can pick any of the many available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaChaser View Post
... The only controllers I could find are ones that flashed or had turn signals. ...
That's the standard, yes, and very annoying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaChaser View Post
Couldn't find any that I could use with a switch and have all on at one time. So what I'm doing is splicing all the lights together and plugging them into my receiver which has a 6 volt adjustable bec to it. I'm hoping this works...
If you want to switch on/off by remote you will need a remote controlled switch between the Rx and the LEDs. There are a couple of these to choose from.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Damn I didn't see the vendor on here. I grabbed a relay style switch that operates off the 3rd channel. I'll run the wire from that into the BEC so it gets a healthy 6V and the 10A should be plenty for a few LED's and a steering servo. I looked at all the controllers and bought a cheap one that I'll probably end up hacking or steal the lights from. I have no interest in brake lights or blinkers.

Going with:
LED light bar mounted in place of the winch on the front stinger bumper.
5MM whites in the head light spots.
Lights within the wheel wells.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I built a controller out of a 7$ hitech servo that works great. You can find instructions all over the interwebz.
68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

You have a few options.

HobbyKing controller I have one, but untested. Seems ok.

HeyOK Performance Have a few of these and they work great and plug right into the receiver and connect to the lights.

Also, I am using this module because I have extensive lighting on my latest rig. 12 LEDs and different phases (not remotely). But the HeyOK controller works great for the On/Off function.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote

Light questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc4wd hella led light set questions big_poppa49 Axial SCX-10 1 09-02-2015 10:14 AM
Light Bar questions! Banjoblue Electronics 1 07-03-2015 06:02 AM
Starting a TH build: pinion, light and finish questions MeanTT Vaterra Twin Hammers 33 05-09-2014 10:19 PM
Light questions vic0280 Newbie General 3 05-24-2013 06:04 AM