RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Promodeler V3, nope V4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/569045-promodeler-v3-nope-v4.html)

Ditchrat 08-09-2016 12:55 PM

Promodeler V3, nope V4

Well I went to order another V3, and wouldn't you know it, it has been replaced by a V4. From the description...
420oz-in v4
You're looking at our newest S420 servo, the S420v4. While it looks a lot like the S420v3 it replaces, just like a Porsche 911 looks similar year-on-year, our engineers also apply what they've learned to make iterative improvements. For example, in going from v1 to v2 we improved the gear material (from brass to steel because steel wears better). With the introduction of the S420v3 we went to massively larger steel gears (and a finned case for better cooling) because top modelers were abusing servos like nobody else on the planet. Using what we learned results in better servos for everyone. Now, with the S420v4, we've done something else never before seen in aluminum servo cases - hard points. Pressing a harder material (brass inserts) where the steel gear shafts fit the aluminum case enhances durability and results in greater precision, which is important.

Can't say I have had any issues with my V3, but I guess progress happens. So its in the mail, when it arrives I'll be taking it apart to check everything is water tight so I'll see if I can get some pictures of the internal changes.

meatmonkey 08-09-2016 01:51 PM

Re: Promodeler V3, nope V4

Go figure, I just ordered a V3 last week. I'm already running a V2 without issue.

Cableman 01-19-2017 04:03 AM

V4 is 25 spline output?

meatmonkey 01-19-2017 04:37 AM

Yup, 25 spline. Since this is up it's worth noting that even though I ordered a v3, I received a v4 those months ago. John even sought me out on here to let me know that.

Now I've got a year old gen 2, and a couple gen 4s. All funtioning flawlessly, which is saying alot since I seem to destroy most servos. Only complaint is I want a couple more, but there out of stock.

cmbscx10 01-19-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 5652246)
Yup, 25 spline. Since this is up it's worth noting that even though I ordered a v3, I received a v4 those months ago. John even sought me out on here to let me know that.

Now I've got a year old gen 2, and a couple gen 4s. All funtioning flawlessly, which is saying alot since I seem to destroy most servos. Only complaint is I want a couple more, but there out of stock.

To give an idea of when they will come back in stock might be a while. I ordered mine on 12-10-16 and Still on the wait list for production release.

WHITE-TRASH 01-19-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbscx10 (Post 5652364)
To give an idea of when they will come back in stock might be a while. I ordered mine on 12-10-16 and Still on the wait list for production release.

I'd love to see a 700 oz version come out but he says he'll never build it due to limited demand.

cmbscx10 01-19-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5652368)
I'd love to see a 700 oz version come out but he says he'll never build it due to limited demand.

I'd like that as well and would pay for it. I payed for the 420 and can't get that so....

durok 01-19-2017 09:47 AM

My old link to the v4 now shows v6 is call for availability...

JatoTheRipper 01-19-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5652390)
My old link to the v4 now shows v6 is call for availability...

I saw that. I wonder how many of the new versions are actual improvements versus cost cutting measures for more profit.

redemon 01-19-2017 11:13 AM

They have a new Site also.
Just Promodeler.com now

meatmonkey 01-19-2017 11:31 AM

I pm'd john himself about availibility of the v4 a few days ago as I have a build that needs a servo (don't we all though). Without going into technical/business reasons, which he asked politely that I not share, It's looking like mid february will be the next batch of v4's.

I shall wait patiently till then rather than purchase either an inferior, or much more expensive, servo since the ones I already have work flawlessly. Just the other day I bent a vanquish steering arm and ripped apart an rpm revo type rod end with the oldest gen 2 during a collision with an icy snow bank.

I could make a pile with all the broken front end parts that v2 has outlasted. It's like that old snap on hammer that you take for granted how many things it has reshapen or broken in its life.

I too have pestered john about making a 650 oz/in servo. He currently feels that the market is too small, and the end result too expensive at $150+ to make it worth the hassle to design and build such a servo. He didn't say it would never happen though, so if you too dream of a bombproof 650 oz/in servo then let john hear about it. If we show enough interest then it may eventually happen.

mikebecher 01-19-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5652439)
I saw that. I wonder how many of the new versions are actual improvements versus cost cutting measures for more profit.

His past updates have all been improvements to the design and hopefully that will continue. I've also seen typos and errant pages on his sites so we probably shouldn't read too much into an updated version number on an old link.

SCREAMER 01-19-2017 01:17 PM

I'm ready to order my 4th promodeler servo. Hope he gets them built soon. I've got a friend that's ready to order one too after seeing how well mine are doing.

mikemcE 01-19-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5652439)

None, John can and will give you facts not fiction.... finest 90.00 I've spent in RC.......https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ede607619b.jpg

Compare ......

Hang up and Drive

rngrchad 01-19-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCREAMER (Post 5652529)
I'm ready to order my 4th promodeler servo. Hope he gets them built soon. I've got a friend that's ready to order one too after seeing how well mine are doing.

Yup, I have one in my wraith, bomber and scx10ii. All are great. Would like a little more torque but their durability greatly outweighs that.

cmbscx10 01-19-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 5652467)
I pm'd john himself about availibility of the v4 a few days ago as I have a build that needs a servo (don't we all though). Without going into technical/business reasons, which he asked politely that I not share, It's looking like mid february will be the next batch of v4's.

I shall wait patiently till then rather than purchase either an inferior, or much more expensive, servo since the ones I already have work flawlessly. Just the other day I bent a vanquish steering arm and ripped apart an rpm revo type rod end with the oldest gen 2 during a collision with an icy snow bank.

I could make a pile with all the broken front end parts that v2 has outlasted. It's like that old snap on hammer that you take for granted how many things it has reshapen or broken in its life.

Mid February? I don't mind waiting 60+days then shipping time if the servo is as good as everyone says.

JatoTheRipper 01-19-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5652547)
None, John can and will give you facts not fiction.... finest 90.00 I've spent in RC.......

Compare ......

Is that plastic in the middle of the gear? :shock:

mikemcE 01-19-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5652589)
Is that plastic in the middle of the gear? :shock:

Metal pins meathead

Hang up and Drive

JatoTheRipper 01-19-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5652591)
Metal pins meathead

Metal pins, but a plastic adapter. What goes in the rectangular hole in the plastic piece?

meatmonkey 01-19-2017 04:18 PM

That slot is for the potentiometer drive. There is literally no torque on that part. All the load goes through the bearings, which aren't shown in that pic.